News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Anyone else have a problem with "National" golf course names?? New
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
Does anyone else think golf courses should refrain from using "National" in their titles if they are not truly national? If they are not open to the public (i.e. Augusta National, National Golf Links of America, The National Golf Club of Canada, Butler National) how can you call yourself "National"?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:38:48 PM by Frank M »

Kevin Pallier

Re: Anyone else have a problem with "National" golf course names??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
There's a private club on the Mornington Peninsula outside Melbourne called The National as well.

http://www.nationalgolf.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:53:21 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
 8)  National membership.. who ever said it has to be open to the walk in public?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
Charlotte National, located in suburban Charlotte, is a privately-owned public course.  I have not played there in 10 years or so, but it's not a bad course.  Here's a link to something about it -- not an official website.  I'm not sure if they have their own website.  http://www.golfholes.com/nc/_charnat/geninfo.htm

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
My only problem is the potential for one upmanship by the next course down the road. I always recommend the Owner just skip right through to International, or better yet, Intergalactic.  It would be hard to one up that.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »
I'm not going to lie, my home state of Minnesota is the biggest violator of this. It is ridiculous.

According to the Minnesota Golf Association's website, there are 12 facilities that have "National" in the name. Exactly one is a private club.

However, the powers that be in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Hennepin County (where Minneapolis is located) all believe they needed a "National" golf course.

The list:

Baker National Golf Club   
Riverwood National Golf Course   
Gross National Golf Club   
Grand National Golf Club   
Hazeltine National Golf Club   
Highland National Golf Course   
Lynx National Golf Course   
Mississippi National Golf Links
Montgomery National Golf Club
Superior National at Lutsen   
Two Harbors - Lakeview National Golf Course   
Minnesota National Golf Course

Barf.

If there is ever a Galactic Golf Club, it will be here.

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)

lol lol lol

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
No problem with it...........gotta problem with my putting stroke, my chips/bumps n runs, but no problem with National.
It's a boring, mindless, slightly arrogant naming habit, but I guess it's still a free country here, so.............

.....perfect weather today at Bandon Dunes, Pac Dunes, Old Mac, The Trails, and oh yes, the National Sheep Ranch!
the pres

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
How can you call yourself "National...whatever" if you are only used by a select few?

Off the top of my head there are a few "National" courses in England as well - seems it's just a tag...

East Sussex National (West + East) = private

The Belfry (PGA National) = public

Warwick Loton

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
Frank,

Your point is a good one - mostly these names are silly and pretentious.

On the other hand, a minority of these clubs are so named for a reason. The best known example is ANGC, that was founded with the intent of having a membership drawn from all over the country - a nationally representative membership. They still maintain quotas of member numbers per state. There were idealistic objectives behind this scheme, and back then nobody could have foreseen the fate of the place - they originally struggled to sell memberships! So while ANGC was never intended to be open to the national public, use of the word "national" in instances like this is not meaningless or absurd.

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
Charlotte National, located in suburban Charlotte, is a privately-owned public course.  I have not played there in 10 years or so, but it's not a bad course.  Here's a link to something about it -- not an official website.  I'm not sure if they have their own website.  http://www.golfholes.com/nc/_charnat/geninfo.htm

Never played there, but one of my old courses, where I was a member, was owned by the part owner of Charlotte National. Never managed to play there though; this was before I traveled around as much as I do now.

North Carolina is a pretty big violator of the 'national' rule: Charlotte National, Carolina National, Cape Fear National, Greensboro National, Sapphire National, Sequoyah National, and The National (former Pinehurst National). And they are all public.
Virginia has its share as well: Chantilly National, Fairfax National, Reston National, Trump National, Virginia Beach National, Virginia National, and Williamsburg National. And of course International Town and Country Club. Of these, 3 are private, and of that, probably only Trump has a real 'national' membership.

One thing that can be noticed about these courses though is that while they may not be great, they are all generally fairly good, at least from my experience. I should say that in general, if you were to have one round in an area, with no other information, going to a 'National' course would not be horrible, you probably wouldn't be going to a real stinker.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
I have a problem with it but only because it reminds me of any Donald Trump Course. :)

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:35:06 AM »
I am sure they wonder on the aviation sites why you can only get to half the country from National Airport.

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »
I am sure they wonder on the aviation sites why you can only get to half the country from National Airport.

Well, lets not get too technical with that one, after all, my local Norfolk INTERNATIONAL Airport or Newport News/Williamsburg INTERNATIONAL Airport, you can only fly domestically, no flights overseas at all. So how exactly are they international again?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »

Anyway, does anyone else think golf courses should be refrained from using National in their titles if they aren't truly national? That meaning if they aren't open to the public?

It doesn't bother me at all.  Companies can call themselves whatever they like. 

What do you mean "should be refrained"?  It should be illegal? 

Brian Stewart

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:15 AM »

Well, lets not get too technical with that one, after all, my local Norfolk INTERNATIONAL Airport or Newport News/Williamsburg INTERNATIONAL Airport, you can only fly domestically, no flights overseas at all. So how exactly are they international again?
Not to verve too far off topic but I'm fairly sure that the international merely means that they have the ability to allow for customs clearance.  It does not mean that there are scheduled international flights but if they get charter or cargo flights in they can clear them assuming the airport has advanced warning.  So, it does actually have a meaning in this case.  Once again, I could be wrong but I believe the term international is a designation and not just a name.

As for the original topic, it doesn't bother me. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
I think the term makes sense if it is a private course with a national membership.  Hence - Augusta National is entirely appropriate and Hazeltine National might be appropriate. 

As to the others, I see the term as evidence of an attempt to replace quality with marketing.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 07:38:52 AM »
Lets not forget Linfield National in PA.  ;D 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
Deere Run,north of Pittsburgh (public) changed to Pittsburgh National a few years ago.
Be the ball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back