News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Slow Play
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
Cory Lewis is the fastest I've seen.  He has a 2 second preshot routine.  Joe Bausch and Kyle Harris are dawdlers.  Their preshot routines are 3.4 seconds each.  Last time I played with them, the three of them dragged me along (it was good for me) for the first 9 holes in 1 hr and 10 minutes (IIRC), all of us walking, before we hit traffic on the back 9. 

Dan King

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Colin Macqueen writes:
So a gentle, relaxing, pleasurable walk in the park cannot be enjoyed.

Golfers play at varied speed. The one and only way for this to work is for slow golfers to be considerate of other golfers on the course. If you aren't keeping up let faster groups get past you. Because almost 100 percent of slow golfers are rude we are all stuck playing at their pace. We shouldn't have to.

Your gentle, relaxing, pleasurable walk in the park may not be the same for all the people stuck behind you. Just step aside and let them get on with their day.

Cheers,
Dan King
I assume my stance, and take back the club, low, slowly; at the top, my eyes fog over, and my joints dip and swirl like barn swallows, I swing. There is a fruitless commotion of dust and rubber at my feet. "Smothered it," I say promptly. After enough lessons the terminology becomes second nature.
 --John Updike

David_Elvins

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
Who is the slowest among us?

Bob

It could be me, I remember getting a slow play warning during our round together. 

I was telling an anecdote as we approached a green.  I was away and as I lined up my putt I continued talking.  I was about to address the ball and had probably all of 25 words left before the punchline.  It was a difficult decision whether to ruin the flow of the story, or stop for 5 seconds and finish the story.  I chose the latter.  I didn't get in another 5 words before being told (not by Bob) to stop mucking around and putt.  Maybe it just wasn't a very good story.  :)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
Cory Lewis is the fastest I've seen.  He has a 2 second preshot routine.  Joe Bausch and Kyle Harris are dawdlers.  Their preshot routines are 3.4 seconds each.  Last time I played with them, the three of them dragged me along (it was good for me) for the first 9 holes in 1 hr and 10 minutes (IIRC), all of us walking, before we hit traffic on the back 9. 

That forced march pace is WAY too quick for me - no thank you to a game like that.  However, I would be happy to let you lot through.  If I need to rush that much round a course I have better things to do - like run four miles on a tread mill - jeepers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
Dan, You're quoting me a wee bit out of context! My walk in the park was book-ended by golf buggies.

"Your gentle, relaxing, pleasurable walk in the park may not be the same for all the people stuck behind you. Just step aside and let them get on with their day."......but if I take your advice in the quote above I'd be waving golf carts through for the next four groups.  Wheeew.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dan King

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
Colin Macqueen writes:
"Your gentle, relaxing, pleasurable walk in the park may not be the same for all the people stuck behind you. Just step aside and let them get on with their day."......but if I take your advice in the quote above I'd be waving golf carts through for the next four groups.  Wheeew.

It is the only way people playing at different speeds can share the same golf course at the same time. The alternative is that every one on the course behind you has to play at your favored speed. That's the system we have now and it isn't working. It's time to recognize slow golfers that refuse to move out of the way as rude.

Cheers,
Dan King
It is more comfortable for me, in the long run, to be rude than polite.
 --Wyndham Lewis

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
Personally I don't think cart riders play much faster than walkers, if at all.  But cart riders play in a different rhythm.  They tee off, race down the fairway (usually ignoring the 90o rule) and then park and watch the group ahead putt out.  There is a lot of riding and sitting. 

Walkers take pretty much the same time but it's at a much more flowing pace.  It is aggravating to be ahead of a bunch in carts who race to their tee balls and then sit in their carts glaring, or perhaps practicing the hands on hips stance.  It's just a different flow.

jeffwarne

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
Personally I don't think cart riders play much faster than walkers, if at all.  But cart riders play in a different rhythm.  They tee off, race down the fairway (usually ignoring the 90o rule) and then park and watch the group ahead putt out.  There is a lot of riding and sitting. 

Walkers take pretty much the same time but it's at a much more flowing pace.  It is aggravating to be ahead of a bunch in carts who race to their tee balls and then sit in their carts glaring, or perhaps practicing the hands on hips stance.  It's just a different flow.

generally when this situation arises, I threaten confiscating the carts at our "walking only" course.
The "hands on hipping" tends to subside.......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Buie

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »
I'll second Cory Lewis as fastest.  Plus, he is a scratch player - so you'll get through your round very quickly. 
Don't bother with Pinehurst in the spring.  Tectonic plates move more briskly that the average springtime visitors.  If you care to visit the area, late September/early October is without a doubt the best time to visit.  It is perfect right now.
Maybe they should have kept the following 'keep moving or give way' advisory on scorecards:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back