News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Summary of 09-27-10 Mountain Ridge event
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
Despite a bleak forecast, the event went extremely well.

Brad Klein's presentation was simply phenomenal.

I should have recorded it.

Every Green Committee and every membership should be required to see that presentation.
It was highly informative, educational, funny and factual.

Brad spoke for about an hour and 15 minutes and could have gone on all day long.
We could have devoted the rest of the morning to Q&A after his presentation, it was that good and that interesting.

Brad has a unique style, he's very intelligent and he's funny and the mix is quite appealing.

Ron Prichard spoke about Mountain Ridge and the process of restoration.
Fortunately, very little had changed at Mountain Ridge since 1929.
The reclaiming/expansion of the greens back to their original foot/fill pads was a major accomplishment.
I think everyone marveled at the greens, which are large with terrific internal and perimeter undulations.
A good number of the perimeters feed balls off the green.
The vertical and horizontal spines divide the greens into tiers and sectors, making approaches, recovery and putting very challenging.
The wide, very generous fairways provide ample room for all levels of golfers, yet place a premium on driving position for the better golfer.

Mike Davis was terrific.
He was very informative, candid and humourous, providing great insight into course set-up for USGA events, and especially the U.S. Open.  His presentation informed us that far, far more goes into preparing a course than we had previously thought.
Mike spoke for an hour and he could have gone on all morning.

I want to thank Brad, Ron and Mike for their participation, they made this a really outstanding event.

The golf course was spectacular despite the rain.
This became apparent on the first hole.  Our foursome was Brad, Ran, myself and Cliff Moore the superintendent
On the first hole Ran had a 40 footer, slightly uphil for PAR.  When he hit his putt, we all thought he left it 15 feet short, including Ran, but, the ball kept rolling and rolling and rolling and went past the hole by about a foot or so.
Brad Klein and I were piin high with birdie putts, slighly downhill.  Obviously we both became immediately concerned about our ability to correctly gage the pace of our putts.  Actually, concerned isn't the right term.  Scared or frightened would be more apt.

Brad had convinced me not to make the hole locations too challenging, so there was a combination of routine and challenging hole locations.

I think I can say that no one was prepared for the greens at Mountain Ridge.
They're simply spectacular.
Large and highly contoured with plenty of roll offs.
The vertical and horizontal spines divide the greens into tiers or greens withing greens, making accuracy on your approach a premium.
Those tiers or quadrants also make recovery and putting a real challenge.

The course is FUN, but also challenging.
Ran, TEPaul, myself and others were trying to figure out how Ross accomplished that.

I think he starated with wide fairways and large greens.

After golf, Cliff Moore, the talented superintendent spoke and answered questions about how he administers to the golf course.
A nice Q&A followed

Based on the comments, it seemed that everyone enjoyed the presentations, golf, food and comraderie.

The only downside to the day was the outcome of my match with Ran.

Yes, I lost 3 & 2, but, when you're a five (5) handicap and you're playing an eight (8) handicap and you give him NINE (9) shots, that's a daunting challenge, one I should have been able to overcome, but, sadly, I played down to his level.

I must say that the difference in the day was Ran's putting, he putted great, far, far, far beyond his ability.
Not to bore you, but, he made a 3 footer on # 2, a 9 footer on # 3, a downhill, side hill 6 footer on # 7 and a 20 footer on # 14.
And, a good number of very good two putters from different area codes.
I must say that I was impressed with his driving.
I had never seen him in the fairway prior to yesterday.

All in all it was a great day.

The staff at Mountain Ridge were terrific, the golf course was fabulous and in great shape, the food delicious and the comraderie very special.

I just might do this again
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:14:48 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Adam Clayman

Re: Summary of 09-27-10 Mountain Ridge event
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:33:34 AM »
Isn't it bad form to beat your host?

Thanks again Pat.

A medal should be given to Kim Fitzgerald, too.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:12 AM »
By the way, we played as a six-some in four hours and despite five of of the six carrying single-digit handicaps (I'm the exception) no one made a birdie all day. To a man, our pre-shot routine was to hit the ball.

The only problem was on the back nine. We were trailed the whole way by a dry cleaner chauffeuring an Inspector Clouseau type in trench coat who was engulfed in a yellow cloud of cigarette smoke -- this despite the rain, which deterred me from smoking a cigar but not prevent this spy guy from puffing away.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:37:02 AM by Brad Klein »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:09 AM »
Brad,

We didn't rush either.

Despite playing in the rain and all that that entails, with very fast greens and challenging hole locations, difficult, wet rough, and good conversation, we played in a comfortable 4 hours.  And, we made a brief stop after 9 holes for drinks, calls and a change of clothes.

I thought that was Lamont Cranston following us.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »
Here was the wonderful setting for some very entertaining talks.  What I've found so interesting about these gatherings, similar to the Tom Paul Barn Fests, is the candidness of the speakers.

For those of you that were not able to attend, how many of the folks there do you you recognize?!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:36:39 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »
Pat,

The wet rough was brutal.  I kept trying to get more out of it than I should have now that  I look back and analyze my play.  I never drew a half decent lie in the rough the entire round.  I was constantly digging it out.  Great stuff.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Scott Szabo

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »

Thanks again Pat.

Adam, indeed it's bad form to beat your host. 

The nerve....

;)
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:13:44 AM »

Thanks again Pat.

Adam, indeed it's bad form to beat your host. 

The nerve....

;)

Scott,

Sadly, I'm afraid that the "Host" beat himself.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »
Pat,

The wet rough was brutal.  I kept trying to get more out of it than I should have now that  I look back and analyze my play.  I never drew a half decent lie in the rough the entire round.  I was constantly digging it out.  Great stuff.

Mark,

The fairways are 50 yards wide, what were you doing in the rough ?

Or, was TEPaul distracting (haunting) you during your round ?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
Sorry, looks I posted this on the wrong thread (I posted on Brad's other Mt Ridge thread first and didn't see this one)
After dinner with Mike Young and Ian Andrew the night before, Mt Ridge turned out the be one of the best golf related days in a long time!  

Pat Mucci's generosity and true love of the game was/is palpable.  

The morning of great speakers was fantastic and only to be over shadowed by, and this is no exaggeration, what I would consider a Top 15-20 set of greens in the country.....they really are fantastic.  And by no means am I taking away from the rest of the course either.

Ron Prichard really stepped up and was bold in his renovation at Mt Ridge, especially with the greens.  I can not imagine how intimidating these greens where 80 years ago.  So many shelves and run offs and small ledges in the corners for pin placements.  Just amazing work.

Also amazing was that in a total downpour to see the ball bounce head high when it lands...how cool is that!  What a great time hanging out with everyone.

Kudos to Pat for hosting the event.  Kudos to Mt Ridge and its staff and kudos to Ran for putting this site together that has attracted all these guys that have a passion for the game.

GCA.com has NOT jumped any sharks!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:31:38 AM by Chip Gaskins »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Pat, your organizational skills are superb.  I came away with this:

I have never seen greens roll so well in the rain.
Speakers were oh so candid.
I think Donald Ross would smile at the large greens.  Imagine Pinehurst #2 with those greens.  Oh the fame.
Having the super speak after the play turned out great.
Brad's PP presentation should be on a nation wide tour.  Although it fit nicely into this group, it would go over the heads of most green committees.  Still some of the old guys need to hear it.
Joe Fairey, one of my playing companions, is one fine player.
Neil Kagan plays a game with which I am not familiar.
Ran must have felt confident about playing you Mucci, often he claims a bad back from picking up the paper in the morning.
Blessed is the course that removes trees.  Thank you, thank you.  And thank you Pat.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »
Pat,

I felt that I had some gound to make up the entire day so I guess I was getting a bit quick off the tees.  Bill was hitting every fairway and making putts too.  He had two birds on the day!  (15&16)

Bill also wanted me to thank you for everything.  He had a great time yesterday.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »
Pat, I'm just curious about why you gave Ran so many shots........are you always so generous?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
Patrick made all the follicle-challenged guys like me sit on the left side of the room, hoping the collective accumulated reflections from our heads would burn off the morning cloudiness.

It obviously didn't work, but it was a bright day anyway.  ;)  ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:57:08 AM by MCirba »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »
Pat, I'm just curious about why you gave Ran so many shots........are you always so generous?

Bill,

Call it erosion, but, I just can't stand all the whining and begging on the first tee.

If the truth be told, he insisted on 12 shots.

Then I told him I'd give him three matches.  One at 8, another at 9 and another at 10.
He said that that was too much bookkeepping for him, so I gave him 9.
And, I should have beaten him.

I knew it wasn't my day when, on a 165 yard par 3 he yanked his iron 50 yards left into the trees and had a perfect lie, and an opening over the tree.  He hit it to 6 feet and made a downhill, sidehll putt for the win

Somedays it just rains and rains and rains on your parade, and this was one of them.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »

Bill,

Call it erosion, but, I just can't stand all the whining and begging on the first tee.

Then I told him I'd give him three matches.  One at 8, another at 9 and another at 10.

I knew it wasn't my day when, on a 165 yard par 3 he yanked his iron 50 yards left into the trees and had a perfect lie, and an opening over the tree.  He hit it to 6 feet and made a downhill, sidehll putt for the win

Somedays it just rains and rains and rains on your parade, and this was one of them.

Seems to me you were beaten before you even hit the first shot!

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »

Bill,

Seems to me you were beaten before you even hit the first shot!

Not really.

Had I not played an inferior game, down to my opponents level, It would have been a walk in the park despite all the shots.

But, to his credit Ran drove the ball exceptionally well.
I think he hit 3 fairways during our match.
And, he did putt exceptionally well, far, far beyond his ability. ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »
It was an A+++.    Many, many thanks!

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

Bill,

I recall your Sand Hills story where you took pride in your negotiation skills.  Clearly Ran has learned from his mistakes.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
Patrick and Moutain Ridge:

Thank you so much for putting on a day like that one yesterday. I think I'm correct in saying this was the third time Pat Mucci has done this (the other two at different clubs). I don't know that this kind of thing has ever been done much in the past in golf and obviously the important nexus that makes it happen is Ran Morrissett's GOLFCLUBATLAS.com which really is pretty unique in the world and world of golf.

The speakers were very good and I second the remark above that they were all candid. On that I particularly enjoyed the talk by USGA Director of Competitions and Rules, Mike Davis. The USGA and American golf is lucky to have a man like that in that position.

Thanks, again, Pat.

PS:
A minor technical point on the Grudge Match. On #14 Morrissett had a cuppy chip from the rough just a foot from the green and hit a nice flop shot out but it crept to over 20 feet but he drained that putt to go dormie 4 and 4 as Mr. Mucci missed his par putt. Morrissett then lost #15 and was dormie 3 and 3. On #16 Mr. Mucci hit a passable shot to the right of the pin up against the rough but was able to putt it. Mr. Morrissett sent one directly over the pin to 15-20 feet. Mr. Mucci putted first and did not lose his turn and at that point conceded Mr. Morrissett's putt and the match so technically I suppose Mr. Morrissett won the match 4 and 2!!!!

On the note about Mr. Morrissett pummelling the host of the day (Mr. Mucci), actually Mr. Morrissett mentioned that prospect to me on the back nine and asked if I thought that was poor etiquette and such. To Mr. Morrissett's query to me I bellowed to him loud enough to be heard in downtown West Caldwell, New Jersey---"OF COURSE NOT!!!"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:56:40 AM by TEPaul »

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Here was the wonderful setting for some very entertaining talks.  What I've found so interesting about these gatherings, similar to the Tom Paul Barn Fests, is the candidness of the speakers.

For those of you that were not able to attend, how many of the folks there do you you recognize?!

Thanks, Mike, for turning for a profile shot, you're about the only person I recognize for certain. Now I'm really bummed I couldn't make it.

For those commenting on the course, I'd be curious to know if it was your first experience at MR. My first experience at MR was a definite keeper - it is way way up on my favorites list.

Did anyone give Pat a hard time over hole locations?

I don't know that this kind of thing has ever been done much in the past in golf and obviously the important nexus that makes it happen is Ran Morrissett's GOLFCLUBATLAS.com which really is pretty unique in the world and world of golf.

Couldn't agree more...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
Pat:

Congratulations on such a terrific event.  I wish I could have attended.

Brian Brown

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
Pat,
I just wanted to thank you to you and your club for hosting a great event.  This was my first time attending a GCA event and it was outstanding. 

Brian

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
Pat,

Thanks again to you and the club for hosting all of us  for a wonderful experience.The presentations were outstanding. The golf course was impressive as the width of the fairways and the size of the putting surfaces presented uncalculated options for the players. Ron Prichard's work on the green complexes and bunkers was outstanding.

I observed the "Big Match" for the front nine and it's unfortunate that there was no coverage by The Golf Channel. I enjoyed the banter between you and your white pantsed opponent. I'm sorry I couldn't stay for the finish and the presentation by Cliff Moore.

I must also say the club is proud of its history as the scrapbooks in the glass case in the lobby clearly indicate the club's place in history. The dinner dances for $1.50 per person in the 1930s must have been a blast.

The Wendehack clubhouse was impressive as well. I liked the barber shop in the men's locker room.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
Steve Shaffer,

One of the neat things about Mountain Ridge is the clubhouse and that fact that other than the room where breakfast and hors d oeuvres were served, the clubhouse is virtually untouched since 1931, thus it retains an intimate feel.

Unfortunately, the weather prevented us from using the back patio and enjoying the magnificent views across the golf course to the mountains to the west.

Maybe next year ? ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back