News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

As soon as I learned that Buda 2010 would be in Wales, I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to see a couple of courses that I would never have heard of without Golf Club Atlas.  Jason Topp was easily convinced to join me.

After waiting 1:30+ in the immigration line at Heathrow (almost enough time to watch all of Hot Tub Time Machine on my phone), I was ready to hit the road.  Fortunately Jason already had the car rental sorted out, and we were off to Kington.

Kington was a pretty significant detour from Wales, but from the first time I saw Sean Arble’s post on the course, I knew that I had to see it sooner rather than later.  
 http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30926.0/

After more than three hours of driving, we located the town of Kington and headed up the hill to the course, reportedly the highest point in England.  Fortunately, the road up the hill wasn’t too busy.  

Jason loosened up at the range.

The awesome views rewarded us immediately.

Views of the course were just as good.

A not-too-busy road thru the course.

Great tee signs.

We had to get this group to vacate the tee.

Lots of these shelters on the course.  I would say the weather could quickly get rough on top of the hill.

If you want to use the shelter, you have to be able to open the gate.  Sorry sheep.

This is a bench that practically demands you stop for a few minutes.

The wild mounds that help make Kington so memorable.

One of the coolest 18th holes I’ve played.

I would have loved to stick around for another trip around the course, but not enough time left in the day.  After a beer and a toasty, we hit the road.  Not even enough time for cleaning up.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:50:44 PM by John Mayhugh »

Jason Topp

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
Glad to see you figured out what to do with all those pictures.  I am looking forward to this.  Hopefully I can use it to explain to people what the heck I did for the week.  My efforts at explanation thus far have been met with vacant and confused looks.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:07:37 AM »
As soon as I learned that Buda 2010 would be in Wales, I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to see a couple of courses that I would never have heard of without Golf Club Atlas.  Jason Topp was easily convinced to join me.

After waiting 1:30+ in the immigration line at Heathrow (almost enough time to watch all of Hot Tub Time Machine on my phone), I was ready to hit the road.  Fortunately Jason already had the car rental sorted out, and we were off to Kington.

Kington was a pretty significant detour from Wales, but from the first time I saw Sean Arble’s post on the course, I knew that I had to see it sooner rather than later. 
 http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30926.0/

After more than three hours of driving, we located the town of Kington and headed up the hill to the course, reportedly the highest point in England.  Fortunately, the road up the hill wasn’t too busy. 

Jason loosened up at the range.

The awesome views rewarded us immediately.

Views of the course were just as good.

A not-too-busy road thru the course.

Great tee signs.

We had to get this group to vacate the tee.

Lots of these shelters on the course.  I would say the weather could quickly get rough on top of the hill.

If you want to use the shelter, you have to be able to open the gate.  Sorry sheep.

This is a bench that practically demands you stop for a few minutes.

The wild mounds that help make Kington so memorable.

One of the coolest 18th holes I’ve played.

I would have loved to stick around for another trip around the course, but not enough time left in the day.  After a beer and a toasty, we hit the road.  Not even enough time for cleaning up.

Tucky

You playd what quite possibly may be my favourite "visiting" golf course in all the world.  Kington ticks so many boxes which are important to me that its impossible not to love.  I hope you had a good time as its always a bit worrying recommending off the beaten track courses to folks one doesn't know well if at all.  I figure that after a certain amount of golf travel (whatever that is) most golfers will know the time is right to step outside the box and see the best of the "other side of golf" (meaning off the ranking tables).  Most things in life are down to timing.  One is either ready to fall hard for Kington or the timing isn't right.  Lets hope you caught Kington at the right time and are beguiled enough to return.  I promise if you give Kington time you will be rewarded ten fold for your efforts. 

Anyway, we know a bit about the experience of Kington, which is undoubtably part of its charm, but what did you think of the course?  Jason?

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »
Fellow Competitors

I have posted an account on the wrap up thread
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:17:19 AM »
Sean - yellow card for copying John's entire thread and photos. Let's keep posts shorter!
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »
John,

Great stuff!!! I love your write-ups and pics of the unusual and quirky things you see on your trips. Most of us just walk by without taking notice. Please keep it up!

I hope there will be more from this trip!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
You played what quite possibly may be my favourite "visiting" golf course in all the world.  Kington ticks so many boxes which are important to me that its impossible not to love.  I hope you had a good time as its always a bit worrying recommending off the beaten track courses to folks one doesn't know well if at all.  I figure that after a certain amount of golf travel (whatever that is) most golfers will know the time is right to step outside the box and see the best of the "other side of golf" (meaning off the ranking tables).  Most things in life are down to timing.  One is either ready to fall hard for Kington or the timing isn't right.  Lets hope you caught Kington at the right time and are beguiled enough to return.  I promise if you give Kington time you will be rewarded ten fold for your efforts. 

Anyway, we know a bit about the experience of Kington, which is undoubtably part of its charm, but what did you think of the course?  Jason?

At one point mid-round, I told Jason that I didn't know when or how, but I was sure that I would play Kington again. 

I understand your concern about recommending off the beaten track courses and had a similar experience when talking with my car-mate about where to play.  Fortunately, Jason was as keen on seeing Kington & Painswick as I was, and we were richly rewarded for our efforts.

Kington is a very good golf course. In addition to stirring the soul, it challenges the shot making.  The mounding, the way the greens fall away on the sides, the slope of the greens (especially evident on 11 & 14) all combine to make the approach position on this "wide open" course very important.  The course is short enough that one should be able to score well on it, but all of the bumps and design features (and wind) put pressure on your game.  I loved it.

As you will see from subsequent posts, we probably over-scheduled a bit, playing eight courses in seven days.  I really would have loved another trip around Kington as well as the opportunity to look around the town and surrounding area.  I'm comforted somewhat by knowing I'll do that next time I'm there.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Glad to see you figured out what to do with all those pictures.  I am looking forward to this.  Hopefully I can use it to explain to people what the heck I did for the week.  My efforts at explanation thus far have been met with vacant and confused looks.

I'm trying to limit my posting of sheep photos, lest people get the wrong idea.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
I think Kington may be the highest golf course in England, but obviously it's not the highest point - you'd have a job putting golf on the hill that is!

http://www.peakware.com/peaks.html?view=photos&pk=1063#1
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
I think Kington may be the highest golf course in England, but obviously it's not the highest point - you'd have a job putting golf on the hill that is!

http://www.peakware.com/peaks.html?view=photos&pk=1063#1

Thanks for the correction.  That is what I should have typed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
John, will we see some thoughts on Painswick?   :o ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
John, will we see some thoughts on Painswick?   :o ;D

Up next.  Tonight or tomorrow. 

PCCraig

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - Kington, up next Painswick
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
John:

Fantastic post...thanks for sharing. There's something about traveling way out of your way on a journey to "find" a course as it really make you appriciate it even more. Talk about a unique site...what views!
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »

Ciao   

I liked it.  I thought it had a good mix of long and short holes.  It was wide off the tee but challenging enough in a cross-wind.  I thought the greenside mounding made for unique and interesting hazards.  I liked the routing which essentially takes you around a high point and back.  Adventure and views are always ahead and in nearly 360 degrees of direction.  The greens were in excellent condition.

I was a bit less enamored with the lumpy ground purely from a lie standpoint.  For those who have not played the course the lumps are similar to those you find on a low lying marshy golf course - except they are relatively firm.  The ball is constantly in awkward positions, and interere with one's ability to make a normal swing with longer clubs.  It is entirely possible to have a downhill lie with a lump behind your ball on an uphill shot for example.  I did not mind for the most part, but hitting a fairway wood is very difficult and in the wind we had many fairway woods.  

Even the goofy lies make Kington a unique and memorable challenge I hope I experience again someday.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
I haven't been to Kington yet, but the views are similarly mind-boggling at Llanymynech, Ian Woosnam's boyhood home course. There's some fun golf along Offa's Dyke.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »
Thanks John, so Kington or Clyne?  I've not played Kington but I enjoyed Clyne a lot more than The Chef did.

Also the man who won the money on Saturday AM and PM (but didn't stick around to collect), said he thought Clyne was a better course.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
Tony,

I can't speak for John but in my book using the flawed 10 play test Kington beats Clyne 9-1.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »
You played what quite possibly may be my favourite "visiting" golf course in all the world.  Kington ticks so many boxes which are important to me that its impossible not to love.  I hope you had a good time as its always a bit worrying recommending off the beaten track courses to folks one doesn't know well if at all.  I figure that after a certain amount of golf travel (whatever that is) most golfers will know the time is right to step outside the box and see the best of the "other side of golf" (meaning off the ranking tables).  Most things in life are down to timing.  One is either ready to fall hard for Kington or the timing isn't right.  Lets hope you caught Kington at the right time and are beguiled enough to return.  I promise if you give Kington time you will be rewarded ten fold for your efforts. 

At one point mid-round, I told Jason that I didn't know when or how, but I was sure that I would play Kington again. 

I understand your concern about recommending off the beaten track courses and had a similar experience when talking with my car-mate about where to play.  Fortunately, Jason was as keen on seeing Kington & Painswick as I was, and we were richly rewarded for our efforts.

Kington is a very good golf course. In addition to stirring the soul, it challenges the shot making.  The mounding, the way the greens fall away on the sides, the slope of the greens (especially evident on 11 & 14) all combine to make the approach position on this "wide open" course very important.  The course is short enough that one should be able to score well on it, but all of the bumps and design features (and wind) put pressure on your game.  I loved it.

As you will see from subsequent posts, we probably over-scheduled a bit, playing eight courses in seven days.  I really would have loved another trip around Kington as well as the opportunity to look around the town and surrounding area.  I'm comforted somewhat by knowing I'll do that next time I'm there.

Well Tucky, it sounds like 2 of 4 Pests like Kington a load (you and The Canary), one likes it (Jason) and one tolerated it (The African Animal). 2.5 out of 4 ain't bad going for a 5900 yard course on hill, with no bunkers, no fairway shaping and about as little maintenance as one is likely to see anywhere. 

The most severe green is #11; it always surprises me how much it runs front to back. 

I would like to know how in the heck Hutchison came up wiith such a unique way to deal with the slopes of Bradnor Hill - especially when we see his elegant work elsewhere. 

Jason

The cuppy lies are a killer with a wood in hand, but I like them.  Why?  Because they are Kington and like most bunkers, one only finds himself in this situation a few times a game. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
I had dinner this evening (at an Irish Pub, no less) with the aforementioned Mr. Mayhugh...fresh from his trip overseas and nursing a cold he picked up on the flight abck home.  But he was well enough to share a bit abiout the BUDA, the folks who attended and all the great places he got to play.  I am certainly jealous with envy, and hope to have the chance to make the trip myself one of these years.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
After more than three hours of driving,

John

Three hours from where - Cardiff ?

Sounds like a quirky little club - look forward to your pics of Painswick

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »
I had dinner this evening (at an Irish Pub, no less) with the aforementioned Mr. Mayhugh...fresh from his trip overseas and nursing a cold he picked up on the flight back home.  But he was well enough to share a bit about the BUDA, the folks who attended and all the great places he got to play.  I am certainly jealous with envy, and hope to have the chance to make the trip myself one of these years.

Verrrryyy interesting......I too contracted a killer chest cold on the way home.  An hour idling on the tarmac at Gatwick, 9 hours in the air.,  My chest cold turned into killer bronchitis.  Has anyone had any luck with "Airborne?"

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
Thanks John, so Kington or Clyne?  I've not played Kington but I enjoyed Clyne a lot more than The Chef did.

Also the man who won the money on Saturday AM and PM (but didn't stick around to collect), said he thought Clyne was a better course.

Kington by a substantial margin.  I really enjoyed Clyne, but I think the collection of holes at Kington is better and there's also more magic in the air.

Evan,
Nice to catch up with you.  Make the Buda trip sometime - you'll be glad you did. And very likely you will see McBride, Whitaker, & Mayhugh there.

Kevin,
Ok, more like four hours. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:47:02 PM by John Mayhugh »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
We made a quick drive down to the ancient town of Painswick.  It was just about dark when we arrived, and I didn’t manage to get any photos of the town as our efforts were focused on finding our B&B.  Painswick is not as easy a driving town as this two way street suggests.

The Tibbiwell Lodge was a great place to stay.  Wonderful view of the Cotswald countryside outside the bedroom window.

My breakfast companion. Where did that last piece of sausage go?

The road to Painswick Golf Club is one of those turns that you had better be watching for.

There is no way a photo can do justice to the huge climb up the hill on the first hole.

The old quarry pit short of the green gives a hint of the kind of hazards and quirk to expect.

Note all of the places where a hole crosses another one or a road.  It’s wilder in person.

This epitomizes a trip round Painswick.  Where do I go now??

I intentionally did not look at photo threads prior to the trip, wanting to enjoy a bit of the discovery.  James Boon had the most recent one (and it’s quite good), though it seems that not all of the photo links are still working.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35805.0/

Players have to share the land with walkers, runners, & dogs.  Sometimes all of them on the same hole.  Rather than being a huge distraction, I think this usage of the land makes the course somewhat more endearing.

The tee shot for the fifth.  The hole is only 114 yards, but the green is completely hidden behind a bronze-age fort wall.  Scott Warren asked me how long it took to figure out where we were going, and for good reason.  Jason & I both trusted the yardage on the card and the aiming point, and had this result.  Give me more blind tee shots!

Near the fifth green is the highest point on the course.  There is a marker with this plate on a trig point.

And what a spectacular view from there.

This cottage off the 8th fairway was spectacular.

I cannot believe anyone that was big enough to dent this bench was able to walk the course. 

A small viewing platform so you can see the 17th fairway.  I got to see very little of that fairway.

Road crossings happen a number of times, as do fairways crossing each other.  This was the last road to worry about.

Off to the side of the 17th green is an area used for cricket.

We settled up our green fees after finishing and hit the road down to Burnham & Berrow.  The route to the motorway was a bit confusing, taking us on some really small side roads.  Worth the detour when you can spot a sign like this.

Painswick was everything that I hoped it would be and more.  Site of one of the early Buda cups, it was a treat.    The second course of the trip that’s under 6,000 yards (this one is under 5,000), but climbing fort those fort walls is quite a walk..  Like Kington, Painswick shows that length isn’t everything in golf.  There was a great deal of variety in the holes, with opportunities to play all sorts of interesting shots.  The use of the hills, fort walls, and old quarrying pits will be an enduring memory. 

Bill_McBride

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - now featuring Painswick
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
I was sure you two would enjoy Painswick.  I played in Buda II there, and returned with tolerant spouse in 2005 en route to the Open in St Andrews.  Here's my report from 2005, "The Pleasures of Painswick."  (I have no idea if the photos will work after all these years!)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,19265.msg341710/#msg341710

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
[Kevin,
Ok, more like four hours. 

John

I was being serious as my relatives are in Bristol and was wondering how long it takes to get there.

Thanks for the pics of Painswick - another on my to do list  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back