News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: In praise of Thomas Stewart Jr. Golf Cleek and Iron Maker
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
That was one of my prouder moments was assembling a full playset of grandpa Willies clubs for him to play with. It was a while ago, back when he was pro at Sand Hills. I seem to recall his first round with them was in the low 70s.
Unfortunately the version of a Willie signed putter he is using is not the Assbackwards model, but one of the conventional blades.
Only four Assbackwards are currently known to exist.

This is the back..

Ralph,

I was just looking at an old set of Powebilt Scotch Blades from the 60s at a Goodwill store and noticed for the first time that they had a clay pipe stamped in them!

Well that is kind of bizarre. Spaulding bought the company from the sons and I didn't follow what happened after that. I was never really interested in the company after Tom retired in 1931.
What is very interesting is that that head is a Fairlie Pattern in its design, minus the toe weight.
The Fairlie is an anti shank design - notice that the shaft is attached on the back of the head - from the 1890s. They were mostly popular in the UK. Are those Power-Bilts a model made for the UK market?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back