News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

THE CABOT TRAIL
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
Since there's lots of unanswered questions, that I don't know the answer to, I thought I would copy and paste my post into a new thread. Perhaps someone with the answer will see it and fill us all in.

Normally I wouldn't post something like my own picture, but the place is so cool, and that day was so wicked, due to the Hurricane, I thought, why not?

First off, those who are concerned over how long it might take them to get to Cape Breton Island, might as well take their chill pill right now. The Island is amazing. Unplugged is an understatement. Relaxed, laid back, are all adjectives I would use to describe the feeling one needs to have to get the vibe. It does not take longer than it is worth.

The golf course is going to be sublime. Having all 18 holes with water views is a rarity and the journey one will take while golfing this seaside course is as breathtaking as it is exciting golf. Freedom, width, undulating waves of all fescue, dunesland, should get the heart a putter'in for all who value links golf as the purest form of gca. And maybe even for those who haven't figured that out yet?

The course begins with a nice handshake mid-length par 4, with a drive over a small hillock. Unfolding before you is an introduction to what you are about experience throughout your round. Well placed bunkering, some green side, some center-lines, some short of the green space, for all manner of creative, yet exacting, shot making. The second hole will rival one of the best par 5's created. Reminiscent of Neville's 6th at Pebble, the undulations from a distance are impressive, up close, intimidating. This one two combination, will only enhance the golfer's anticipation going forward.

The course generally loops around, although it isn't as straight forward as that description conjures. One of the coolest points of the journey is at the farthest point from the Ocean, when the 8th and 9th holes take you out near the Harbour, with a reverse Redan-like par 3 8th, and a major cape hole 9th.

Most of this course is in grow in, with the few remaining holes to be grassed, roughed in. These last holes have been saved for last because their ground was needed as staging areas or access routes to build the remainder.

With hurricane Igor (or is it EEEgor?) off the coast of Newfoundland, I was treated to winds in excess of 50 mph and gusts of who knows? But enough to push this fat man around. As an example, the downhill 110 yard 14th, heading straight out to the ocean looked like it was either a full driver, or a putter played down along the hill. Such elasticity is only dreamt of, once one reaches true geek status. Which after this trip, I think I easily qualify.

The 14th green pictured below.

Above shows some of the excellent crew Michael Rossi has put together, working hard on drainage.

After my walk about, I made the trek over to Highlands Links. The drive was surreal, making Big Sur look little.

One of the first invitations I saw in this treehouse, was when Ran invited any and all on his trek to Cape Breton Island, over 10 years ago. Since then I've been intrigued to get there and I was not disappointed.

Highlands was a treat, since almost all of Stanley Thompsons (sp?) work is intact. After visiting there, and having never met Ian Andrew, I can securely say, I love him. His love for Highlands and his help in recapturing the masterpiece that lies there should be heralded to all the halls of those who may someday care. While there's lots left to do, once the G'ment commits it's dollars, the golfer won't need to see beneath the surface at the bones, It's greatness will be as obvious as the balls on a tall dog.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:41:51 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PCCraig

Re: THE CABOT TRAIL
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:47:45 AM »
Cabot Links looks amazing! Great pictures and thanks for the report Adam.

I will no doubt be making the trip up there in the first year or two it's open.

H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
Adam, how about a brief outline of the logistics?  How'd you get there, how long did it take, how long to drive to Highland Links, etc etc?

Is there any lodging under construction?  What's available in the town now?

Thanks.

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
I have been obsessed with Cabot Links, Cape Breton, and Nova Scotia in general since doing some digging on the area and learning more about the course.  The course looks, as Adam stated, sublime.  And the area looks absolutely amazing, definitely warranting a trip irrespective the fact that it will soon be a golfing destination.  The golf is just frosting on the cake :).  A 2012 trip is in motion.

Thanks for the thread Adam, enjoy your time on the island!

PS - If you want to see some amazing pictures of the island (not the golf), check out the site below:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/Canada/Atlantic/Nova_Scotia/
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Greg McMullin

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
Some pictures from 4 of the area courses mentioned in a previous post - Bell Bay - (Baddeck), Dundee - (Dundee), LePortage - (Cheticamp) and my favorite Cape Breton Highlands Links - (Ingonish)
http://chrisgallowphoto.com/
Select "Golf Landscapes" in the menu box.

For a good selection of Cape Breton pictures just do a google images search for Cape Breton ...... enjoy

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »
Adam, how about a brief outline of the logistics?  How'd you get there, how long did it take, how long to drive to Highland Links, etc etc?

Thanks.

Bill, My estimation is that it took about the same time it takes to drive from Portland to Bandon, as it does for you to fly from Philly, and drive to Inverness. So that's 5 hours, total, for the plane ride, customs and the car ride to Cabot Links. That includes getting a rental car, and a stop or two for a couple of pit stops. It may actually be a bit less since there was a lot of construction on the road, (That won't be there anymore) and I seemed to get behind every slowpoke driver, before I got to the Canso Causeway. It's a 50 minute drive from the Canso to Inverness.

The drive from Inverness to Ingonish (Highlands) was about 2.5 hrs. It may be a bit more, if you stop and smell some roses and take in some of the breathtaking scenery.

I really can't speak knowledgeably about accommodations or the plans for accommodations. I do know there is a distillery, that has rooms, in town, but that's all I know. We had a great meal and time at the Red Shoe Pub about 17 minutes south of Inverness. The atmosphere, and fiddle playing, is what I would expect to experience, if I ever do get to the UK. The beer was however, COLD.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 01:10:10 AM »

Well done Adam.Any blind shots?

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »

Thanks.

Bill, My estimation is that it took about the same time it takes to drive from Portland to Bandon, as it does for you to fly from Philly, and drive to Inverness. So that's 5 hours, total, for the plane ride, customs and the car ride to Cabot Links. That includes getting a rental car, and a stop or two for a couple of pit stops. It may actually be a bit less since there was a lot of construction on the road, (That won't be there anymore) and I seemed to get behind every slowpoke driver, before I got to the Canso Causeway. It's a 50 minute drive from the Canso to Inverness.

The drive from Inverness to Ingonish (Highlands) was about 2.5 hrs. It may be a bit more, if you stop and smell some roses and take in some of the breathtaking scenery.

I really can't speak knowledgeably about accommodations or the plans for accommodations. I do know there is a distillery, that has rooms, in town, but that's all I know. We had a great meal and time at the Red Shoe Pub about 17 minutes south of Inverness. The atmosphere, and fiddle playing, is what I would expect to experience, if I ever do get to the UK. The beer was however, COLD.

Thanks, Adam.  By the way, most beer in the UK is now refrigerated as well - as I can testify from last week.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »

Well done Adam.Any blind shots?

Anthony

Probably, if you get too close to too big a feature.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
http://scoregolf.com/videos/planet-golf/video-blog-cape-breton/0_nozg1r66

A video by Jason Logan includes Highlands Links, the Cabot Trail and Cabot Links.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »
http://scoregolf.com/videos/planet-golf/video-blog-cape-breton/0_nozg1r66

A video by Jason Logan includes Highlands Links, the Cabot Trail and Cabot Links.

Thanks, Ian. How soon can 2012 arrive?  Cape Breton will equal Bandon on the opposite coast as I see it.

Congrats on all the good words on your work at Highlands.  I loved Capilano and cannot wait to see the restored CBH.

Jim Tang

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
Adam -

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures.  The course looks to be on amazing land.  That seems to be a place I'll have to visit.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
Here's some more of the Island.

first Highlands Links. Sorry for the quality. Cell phone.

On the drive to Ingonish

Infinity green at Cabot Links. 130 yards wide.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:45:40 PM by Adam Clayman »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
Wild Bill, I think we are going to have to make this trip/outting during the Celtic festival in October, 2012, and fly our Irish colors! 

Has there been any word on an official GCA.com gathering there.  Thanks for the link Ian, the video makes it all the more inticing.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »

If there is a hole at Cabot that demands the ground game, this is it. Favouring the right side with a running shot takes the riskier left side out of play.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:11:30 PM by Adam Clayman »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
A glimpse of the Harbour's Cape hole. #9 I believe.

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:06 PM »
I know I am not alone when I say that I think about Cabot Links every day! :) With Ben's weekly updates on Facebook (if you haven't seen the photo album - you MUST! - some incredible photographs) it is easy to stop and day dream about visiting Inverness next season, even if only for the 10 hole preview loop.

See Matty G's latest write-up re: Cabot:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2010/12/update-mike-keisers-new-course.html

There is a blurb in there about a possible second course and who will design it...

Read it!

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »
Eric,

We might have to come up with a new GCA.com tournament to be held there in 2012 (paired with Highland Links).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
The Cabot Cleek
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I like it.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »
The "8 holes along the ocean" is a bit mis-leading.

All 18 holes have water views. And while the majority may not be adjacent to the water, they certainly run along it.

The second hole might just be the coolest par 5 built since Pebble Beach. 

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Eric. Facebook has been a lot of fun, it has been made easier by a lot of great images to post.

We do have a working name, but it is not Cleek :)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »
When can I order some shirts, that logo is awesome!

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »
I spoke with someone on the PR side of KemperSports last night at an event about Cabot and if I was excited before, I'm 2x now! Apparently now the only place to stay is at the Whiskey Distillery in town which has 20 or so rooms, which seems like it would be more fun to stay there than a golf resort lodge :) ;) Sounds like the project is shaping up to be a big hit.

Congrats on your hard work Ben.
H.P.S.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:20 PM »
The Cape Breton Combo
The Double Rainbow

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back