News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Cape May New Jersey Golf Suggestions
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
I will be on one of those mini Mac Plumart family vacations ;) in early October and wonder if anyone can chime in with some course recommendations within an hours drive. Thanks.

Michael Blake

Re: Cape May New Jersey Golf Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
Tim,

I would drive North and try to get on at Hidden Creek (private) in Egg Harbor.
And/or play GCA's own Archie Struthers' Twisted Dunes, also in Egg Harbor.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
If you don't want to drive about an hour from Cape May to Twisted Dune, then stay local and play Stone Harbor or Sand Barrens.

Cape May National is not one of my favorite shore courses.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
 Minature Golf is the best option. I kind of enjoy Cape May National. Farther up Route 9 is the oft ooverlooked Sand Barrens. I think it represents a strategic use of sand.
AKA Mayday

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
Atlantic City Country Club is right at that hour time limit you have. I remember that from the Coast Guard Training Center to A-City was like 48 miles, so, if ACCC is not within 1 hour, its not more than 90 minutes.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:18 AM »
I thought Cape May National was pretty bad.   Shoregate gets a lot of bad reviews here, but I think it's ok.  The other's mentioned here are better though.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »
Tim

Logistically Wildwood CC is your best/closest course to Cape May. Historically they are open to a phone call in the shoulder season if you are a member of a private club. Similar to ACCC and Galloway they sit on the marsh/bay overlooking the town (Wildwood). It is Stiles and Van Kleek with changes over the years and Mike Cirba has stated that someone else was the original designer.

I do believe that everyone should play Stone Harbor in their lifetimes even if the Jaws hole is gone. Gib Papazian made the trip there this summer and I am sure his views would be interesting.  :D

For sheer simplicity of logistics and public access, Cape May National is not that bad. They just had a bunch of environmental restrictions.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:06:14 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »
Atlantic City Country Club is right at that hour time limit you have. I remember that from the Coast Guard Training Center to A-City was like 48 miles, so, if ACCC is not within 1 hour, its not more than 90 minutes.

Have to agree with John.  I would play at Atlantic City if you can.  Very interesting golf course.

Mkar
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »
 Wildwood is ACCC lite. I enjoy it and it is much closer. I agree that Stone Harbor should be experienced.
AKA Mayday

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Galloway National shouldn't be missed. Highest rated course on the shore and probably Fazio's best design --- and you'll have the course to yourself. Please PM me if you would like an intro.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
Tim:

Depending upon the type of player you are and your tastes in design -- if you want the classic type stuff -- then try to get on Hidden Creek or ACCC -- the latter is public so it's accessible. Galloway National is also a gem but it's private.

From the public side of things -- take the Pkwy north and play Twisted Dune or even McCullough's Emerald Links which are 2 minutes from one another.

Ballamoor is available as well and it's close to you.

The old Stone Harbor was something with the former Jaws hole. Still worth a peak if you are a bit more elastic on the design side of thigns.

Cape May National has a superb finishing hole -- too bad the first 17 aren't as good.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:58 PM »
Good one Tim.  McCoullough's Emerald Links is a pretty neat course also worth a look.  Plus they usually run some pretty good deals if you check online first.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

Logistically Wildwood CC is your best/closest course to Cape May. Historically they are open to a phone call in the shoulder season if you are a member of a private club. Similar to ACCC and Galloway they sit on the marsh/bay overlooking the town (Wildwood). It is Stiles and Van Kleek with changes over the years and Mike Cirba has stated that someone else was the original designer.

I believe I led Mike astray on believing that Alex Findlay was the original designer of Wildwood.  And I was wrong.  It is Stiles and van Kleek.

I was misled by the fact that Alex Findlay drove the ceremonial first ball at Wildwood's opening, and I believe Wallace Findlay, Alex's son, was part of the construction team lead by Frank James.

I wonder if somebody on some other thread thinks a picture of Alex Findlay in a Country Club Life article suggests that Findlay was there helping Tilly.....
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
Anyone playing Wildwood needs to douse themselves in "off" -- once the wind comes from the oceanside the greenheads -- especially in the spring time generally feast off the humans who try to play there !

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
Guys-Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions. Much appreciated. :)

archie_struthers

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
 8) ;D 8)

Tim  if you want to play Greate Bay it's actually real good...looks easy plays hard and it will be in perfect shape soooon!!!

Galloway  is the most dramatic and visually interesting club at the shore , very difficultif you aren't a  very low handicapper and is expensive ...$200 day   ....I like Wildwood ...Twisted Dune ....ACCC  (expensive)    otherwise

Bill Boonn

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
I was here in Cape May all week and played both Hidden Creek and ACCC which were both in fantastic shape.  They were both just within an hours drive from Cape May and I'd highly recommend either or both.  One potential issue:  our caddy told us that at Hidden Creek they were going to be aerating the greens in the first week of October -- they usually aerate just after Labor Day but due to numerous events this month they decided to delay a month.

Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back