News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: BUDA IX 2011 - Suggestions for next years venue
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
Preference for Silloth in September.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
While Hankley and Liphook are handy for Heathrow and Gatwick, Silloth is not a ridiculous drive from Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh airports which (I think) still have direct flights from the States. Does Newcastle Airport?

Niall C

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
Mike

Not that I'm trying to change your mind or anything  ;) but if you fly into Glasgow you could get to Silloth in under 2 hours by car. Likewise if you flew into Manchester it would probably be something similiar.

Niall

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
anybody thought about adding Blackmoor to the Liphook/HANKLEY DUO?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
I'll just throw out the suggestion that maybe we think about Ireland for the Buda one year.  I know this year won't work, but it'd be fun, that's for sure!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »

Mark, Niall, I will go along with whatever you guys choose and sorry for the diversion.

David_Tepper

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
How far is Seascale from Silloth? Could that combo work?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
I'm likely to have another commitment in late September (as my wife has a significant birthday coming up) so the Liphook/Hankley option is out for me if that's the only dates Criag is offering.

Accordingly mine's an unequivocal vote for Silloth - ideally in June but mid September would also work
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

James Boon

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
Craig, Mark and Peter,

Thanks for your hard work in putting these options together!

I'd like to go to Liphook and Hankley as I seem to need any excuse I can get to play some of these London courses! However the midweek doesn't suit me so well.

Silloth in June works as it's away from all my other Sept golf, as is the late Sept. 16-18 Sept is a little too close to other golf trips as this years Buda was.

I'll do what I can to get any of the dates to work, but late Sept at Silloth prob works best. Any further consideration about chartering a boat over to  Southerness?

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:07:04 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
I was at Silloth on Solway a few years ago. The Golf Hotel is the only place big enough for the group. Frankly, it was at best average, but I see it was remodeled and is open again. Less than likely to attend, but if I did go it would be to Liphook/HC.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
Thank you Mark and Craig for doing the leg work and congratulations on working together to avoid disappointments.
Basically I’m with Bill, wherever Buda is I’ll try my damnest to be there.

But I do get a vote  and June is likely out for me

Siloth sounds like somewhere you’d want to visit again and again...

But Hankley/Liphook shades it for me.  Add in Pullborough and Blackmoor and you’ve got quite the week.

Jay, one year soon I will organise an Irish Buda but please don’t wait until then to join the fun.

Michael and Mark, Buda has done Alwoodley/Moortown and Painswick so it’s not just about the links. I think we should resist any attempt to pigeon hole or define it too closely.  Contrary to earlier opinions I also hope it goes back to famous courses and to Scotland, variety should be encouraged here.

Guys, good luck deciding which way the wind blows on this.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
If the Buda is played in Sept I will be there regardless of where it is played. My heart wants it to be at Silloth, but my head says Liphook/HC is a better location.

I REALLY want to visit Silloth one day, and I probably will. Having a Buda there would just seal it for me. If Buda does go to Silloth couldn't we also play Southerness. I know, I know... it is a long drive from one to the other... but, if that drive were done at the end of the day it would not be too much of a bother to the event. Wardo and I drove from Southendown to Westward Ho! after this year's post-Buda round and it was not an issue. Southerness to Silloth (or the reverse) would not be as bad.

So... I have voted for Liphook/HC and that is firm... but, in my heart I hope you decide to go to Silloth!!!  ;D

Either way I'm in for September.

Mike

PS - I nominate Peter Mallalieu for UK captain.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:38:41 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »
An advantage with Liphook and HC is the opportunity to do a very English thing and that is take TEA on a daily basis........I do mean Traditional English Ale from the Hogs Back Brewery, a mighty fine pint!
Cave Nil Vino

Craig Disher

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
Mark,
I didn't realize the Hogs Back brewery was so near. I've been a CAMRA camp follower for years and one of the highlights of walking into my favorite pub near Rye (the Queens Head in Icklesham) is seeing TEA on the blackboard. It is one great ale.

Scott Warren

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
Where was I drinking TEA the other night before my departure? It must have been a good night because I can't remember! What a great beer!

I am obviously going to be a non-starter for Buda 2011, but can I just chime in to say that whether Silloth or Hankley hosts, it is going to be one to ink into your diary the day you know the dates. They are both THAT good.

Quite seriously, if I were forced to choose a links and a heath to play week-to-week for the rest of my life, the heath would be Hankley and the links very well might be Silloth. So whatever is decided in the end, commit early in the knowledge you are in for one of the great golfing experiences of your life.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2010, 04:37:09 AM »
I'm kind of biased for Hankley/Liphook as both are within 25 minutes of my front door, but the late September, midweek date could be a problem. I'd like to see Silloth and Southerness, but perhaps Windermere would be a better (closer) partner to Silloth.  Quirky in the Painswick mould and very scenic.  £50 for a day ticket.

I'm going to have to investigaste TEA as well.  The Hogs Back Brewery is just up the hill from my place and has an on site shop.  I expect i'll be dropping in tomorrow.  Any orders?

I'm going to step back and let those with the strongest opinions decide.  Both are good choices.

Regarding Ireland as a future venue, I'd be happy to help with the leg work for a Carne/Enniscrone double bill.  I'm a member at Carne.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »
Regarding Ireland as a future venue, I'd be happy to help with the leg work for a Carne/Enniscrone double bill.  I'm a member at Carne.

Brilliant!!!

Let's work on this for 2012.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »
There will also be a bid for BUDA X from the unsuccesful BUDA IX candidate, I suspect!

So far I reckon we have expressions of preference from Bryan Izatt, Bill McBride, Sean A, Chappers (though not entirely clear what that preference is!), Niall, Mike, John M, Andrew M, and Tony.  James B and Robin have no preference, it seems.

We want to commit on Monday, if at all possible so can any other BUDAites (or likely BUDAites for next year) let us have their prferences ASAP.

Thanks,

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I hate to even "vote" because my participation in 2011 is unlikely in any case. For what it's worth the June dates at Silloth would be my first choice.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
 I know I've voted and should just leave you to it but this one seems a very close call.  I'd like to think there's behind the scenes gerrymandering going on and Monday we learn the location of the next two Buda’s?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Eric Smith

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
I vote Silloth in September.

The prospect of flying into Glasgow looks promising with Newark to Glasgow in just under 7 hours.

Maybe see (B)Troon, (C)Prestwick and (D)Turnberry before meeting up at (E)Silloth.  Anyone familiar with the drive from D to E?

Whichever place BUDA goes, I will be there if it is in September.

Thanks for doing all the hard work guys!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:41:44 PM by Eric Smith »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Apparently my vote was missed. June, wherever.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Chappers says - HC and Liphook - also nice for the overseas Deal members to make a visit to their club.
Cave Nil Vino

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »

Mark,

I would give a preference but do not know enough about those courses so am pleased to go along with whatever is decided by those in the know.

Thanks for your efforts,.

Bob J

Ben Stephens

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »
I have no preference on wherever we go - look forward to next year playing without injury problems  ;D

Having just played there a few weeks ago, its a shame that Hunstanton and Brancaster was not nominated for next year due to difficulty getting on it maybe in a few years time.

Hunstanton is going through a period of course improvements and renovations which will be complete in 2013. Maybe it would be better to take BUDA there in 2013.

I found two nice hotels / B+B both in Titchwell (in between Old Hunstanton and Brancaster) which are really nice and perfect for a BUDA event.

All the old boys competitors met up in Briarfields to watch the Ryder Cup!

www.briarfieldshotelnorfolk.co.uk
www.titchwellmanor.com

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:22:29 PM by Ben Stephens »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back