News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Pinehurst v Bandon
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Roger: I'm with you 2 trips to Bandon, LOL...but I've been to Pinehurst already.

Kevin: You do need to play #2 after that its personal preference. I like #8, its fun and off-site, in that you drive for 10 or 20 minutes to get there vs. the others are right there, its different. My group had #8 as their favorite, FWIW.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
I would add that while researching the resort courses, after No. 2, I was most intrigued by #3 and #8.  I have talked to some people that have played #8 and in general had very positive comments, however, I have not heard any firsthand comments about #3.

Can anyone give me their take on #3?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
In my opinion, #2 is one of the great American courses and should be played by any student or true fan of golf.  Expensive, yes--but worth it.  Playing it twice would be great, but I don't know if there is a same-day favorable rate.  I doubt it.
I was very disappointed in #4--thought it was a poor "replica" course--Fazio does Ross (and not very well).  #8 is fair--but not worth a trip by itself.
I actually enjoyed #1--especially as a second course on the same day as #2.  It is a small, "quaint" course--and fun.

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
Kevin,

IMHO #2 is the only course at the resort proper that is a must play, and I'm waiting for C&C to be done with their work.  Also it's virtually impossible to play it more than once given their booking/lodging policy, even if you've got the budget.  Pine Needles is also quite good.  I'm also interested in checking out Dormie, Mid-Pines and Tobacco Road.  Forest Creek is good Fazio and strong players like CCNC...But given the choice of 2 trips to Bandon and 1 each to Bandon and Pinehurst, I'll take the former..
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
Kevin,
    Planning ahead for Pinehurst. I haven't played any of those courses (except Tobacco Road) so don't have much to offer regarding Pinehurst courses. Ran is local so that is reason enough to come up for a visit. Then if you widen your geographical focus a few hours worth of driving you can see quite a number of interesting courses without too much difficulty. I am one hour north of Pinehurst and you are of course welcome to establish your basecamp with us. Given the quality of golf architecture you have seen from living in England and Australia, and from your trip in the US last year you have certainly seen many great examples of the finest works. I suppose at this point it just comes down to what other veins of design you are interested in exploring.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
Pinehurst is a must-do, in my opinion.  Resort wise, I'd rate it right behind Bandon and right ahead of Pebble Beach.  Heresy, I know, but Pinehurst just has this ethereal feel.  It's like golf's version of church.  I liked 2, 4 and 8 and I even enjoyed 9.  Remarkably enough, I probably enjoyed my round on #1 as much as any other.  It's a small course, probably around 5800 yards, but it is absolutely charming, sort of a mini version of Augusta National visually.  It's a great breather course after you survive a beating on the greens and their surrounds on #2.  The whole vibe of Pinehurst is just pitch perfect.  
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Kevin

If you can financially swing it, play #2 twice.  I am not convinced there is another course at the resort which is as compelling as Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, Southern Pines and Mid-Pines.

Thanks Sean - your recommendations seem to be pretty popular from that region. Can you (or anyone else here) expand on why TR / PN / SP & MP are worth seeking out over playing another course at Pinehurst ?

Kevin:

If you've already been to Bandon, why not try something new and do a trip to Pinehurst? An above poster said he was so smitten with Bandon that he booked a return trip right when he got home, if you don't have the same feeling then why go back and force it.

Pat

I loved Bandon and would definitely like to go back there but the premise of my thread is to find out from GCAers if is there anything at Pinehurst that is appealing besides #2 ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
Kevin...

I assume you know this, but maybe not.

Pine Needles and Mid Pines are mere minutes from the Carolina Hotel and/or downtown Pinehurst.  In fact, Pinehurst #8 might take the same time to get to as Pine Needles/Mid Pines from those places.

Tobacco Road is a bit futher..maybe 30 minutes away, tops.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »
Kevin...

I assume you know this, but maybe not.

Mac

Never assume anything in life especially with me  ;)

I was aware that some of the courses weren't on the main property but wasn't aware how close the other non-resort courses mentioned are.

Even though I have yet to go to Bandon, the cool thing about it is that all the courses are there are world class and must plays.  It seems to me every other American resort has a crown jewel and an overpriced supporting cast. 

Mark

Interesting observation - what other multiple course resorts would you recommend one visit ?

While I love Pinehurst, there really is no comparison to Bandon for me. All else being equal except the golf courses, I would take a trip to Bandon every time over Pinehurst. Bandon has four outstanding courses that are truly firm and fast and in good condition. The Pinehurst Resort courses are rarely in premium condition while Pine Needles is usually in good shape.

Steve K

Thanks for the heads up - what time of year would you recommend one visit the Pinehurst region ?

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:30 AM »
Kevin

I don't particularly think the other courses are worth seeking out over the Pinehurst courses - except for Tobacco Road and more than likely Dormie Club.  I just don't think the other (#2 excepted) resort courses are any better than the non-resort courses.  I personally prefer Mid Pines and S Pines to all the others except The Road, but thats just an opinion.  Bottom, line is to go with the best deal you can get unless you have a wife (and/or mistress) in tow who wants the resort treatment.  I am just saying Pinehurst isn't the only show in town. Given that there are at least two (some say three with Pine Needles) must sees not part of the resort it doesn't seem to make sense to me to book a resort package.  #2, Dormie Club, Pine Needles and The Road is quite a line up and one most would like to have a go at.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:55:06 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matt Day

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »
Kev
I was in North Carolina 3 years ago with a group of beer drinking supers, we spent two days at Pinehurst and Tobacco Road just looking at the set ups and had a blast. The Bayer turf research facility was good as well.

Very, very friendly people in that part of the world, and Pinehurst seems to me to have a certain golfing feel to it that not many other places has.

I actually rang the missus and asked if she wanted to move to North Carolina...

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »
Kevin,
    You will want to see Tobacco Road and form your own opinion. As others have stated it is quite polarizing. I like some parts of it and don't care for others. I have only played 2 Strantz courses but I haven't seen him do a good short par 4 yet. I think MS went a little overboard at TR with very skinny greens. Some are parallel to the the line of play and others are perpendicular. I don't mind a few skinny/shallow greens, but 8 (depending on how one defines skinny) is too much IMO. Overall the course has a pretty good flow to it, but the finishing stretch 16-18 is "different". I actually like 18, but 17 is a short drop-shot par 3 with little interest, and #16 is a goofy short par 4. As I pointed out you will want to play it just so you can form your own opinion.
    You will want to see the courses around here in Oct/Nov when the weather is very pleasant.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:43:09 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »
Kevin:

If you do head down to Pinehurst for a weekend. No matter what, make sure you go to the Track Restaurant for breakfast at last once. Located next to the horse track and right next to I think the #1 course at Pinehurst, it's the best breakfast in Pinehurst, quick, cheap and greasy...it's fantastic!

H.P.S.

Chris Buie

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
The Track Restaurant is where David Fay proposed the idea of back-to-back Opens to Pinehurst CEO Don Padgett. 
It is a no frills place but many people like Pat love it.  It is a good place to get an authentic feel for the area. 
If you want a first rate brunch go to either Mid Pines or the Ironwood on Sunday.  They're a bit pricey but you will not be disappointed in the atmosphere or the food.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
Kevin,
    Planning ahead for Pinehurst. I haven't played any of those courses (except Tobacco Road) so don't have much to offer regarding Pinehurst courses. Ran is local so that is reason enough to come up for a visit. Then if you widen your geographical focus a few hours worth of driving you can see quite a number of interesting courses without too much difficulty. I am one hour north of Pinehurst and you are of course welcome to establish your basecamp with us. Given the quality of golf architecture you have seen from living in England and Australia, and from your trip in the US last year you have certainly seen many great examples of the finest works. I suppose at this point it just comes down to what other veins of design you are interested in exploring.

Ed

I was seriously toying with the idea of trying to fit a visit to Pinehurst in my itinerary last year just to see Ross' work but just couldn't do it. Given that C&C are currently in the middle of a makeover for #2 - I'm probably more glad now I waited.

Nothing like planning for another return visit to the USA "one day" to try and see some more great architectural works and of course I'd like to come down your way and catch up with you and your family and meet other fellow GCAers. Obviously - I wont be able to visit on the scale I did last year but am thinking about rough itineries and what I'd also like to try and see.

From the responses to date - it seems there's more to offer outside of the Pinehurst resort than in it which is interesting because one would have felt that 6 courses have been built by the Fazio's, Jones etc since Ross' #2 and none seem to stand out ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
Kevin...

I've never been to Bandon, so I can't really comment on that part of your question.  However, Pinehurst seems to getting lost a bit in translation.  The resort and the town of Pinehurst really are one in the same.  There isn't a large drive in and gated off area, like say Kiawah.  You can walk right from the Carolina Hotel to downtown in no time flat.  Some of the resort hotels are actually in the downtown area.  Pine Needles, Mid Pines are literllly right down the road...perhaps even closer than Pinehurst #8 is from the Carolina hotel.  Does that make sense?

To me, you are not really going to a resort...you are going to a town.  And that town is completely and totally surrounded by quality golf course and golf is a way of life (or so it appears).

Anyway, here are some photos maybe this will help...maybe not.

Here is the actual downtown area of Pinehurst...right smack dab middle of town.  Like I mentioned, you aren't going to a resort per se, you are going to a golf-centric town with historical roots that are quite unique.

Here are some shots of the legendary #2 course...

Here are a couple shots of #4...

People knock it for a few reasons (I think):  the look of the pot bunkers and the fact it is Fazio trying to duplicate Ross' #2 course.  Okay, I get that...but I really liked the course.  If nothing else, you get a real Pinehurst feel with those greens.

Here are some shots of #8...

This is a really solid golf course.  However, as you can see it is more "normal"...that is non-Pinehursty.  However, I really liked the change of pace from the other Pinehurst courses and I thought it was a really good course to play.  Not epic, not truly world class...but damn solid.

Here is a picture of the Carolina Inn...

Pine Needles is simply stellar Ross.  I'll spare you the pictures, but it is stellar and minutes away from downtown Pinehurst, like 10 to 15 minutes.

Mid Pines (again I'll spare you pictures), but like Pine Needles 10 15 minutes away and really nice golf.  Easier, more laid back Ross...but pure Ross nonetheless.

Now we all keep talking about Tobacco Road.  It is like 30 minutes away from downtown Pinehurst...a bit of a trip.  But here is why...

People either love this thing or hate it, but I think it is a must see golf course.  

I hope this helps...I know it is hard to get your arms around without having seen the town...but it is good solid golf all over the place.

I can't recommend Pinehurst over Bandon for two reasons...I don't know your taste and I've never been to Bandon...but I do know that I expected a lot from Pinehurst and it delivered big time.  BUT it is more than just the golf courses, it is history wrapped in a wonderful golf experience.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:38:35 PM by Mac Plumart »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
Kevin...

I've never been to Bandon, so I can't really comment on that part of your question.  However, Pinehurst seems to getting lost a bit in translation.  
Here are a couple shots of #4...

People knock it for a few reasons (I think):  the look of the pot bunkers and the fact it is Fazio trying to duplicate Ross' #2 course.  Okay, I get that...but I really liked the course.  If nothing else, you get a real Pinehurst feel with those greens.

Mac

Thanks for your insights

I undertand that there are a few courses associated with the resort that aren't exactly close by - my point being that it seems interesting that none seem to come close to quality of #2 ?

I know I haven't seen it in person - but from the photos - those pot bunkers on #4 look damn ugly  ???

Mac Plumart

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
 :) ;) :D

No arguments from me on those bunkers!!!  I believe Ran really likes them as well!!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
Kev
I was in North Carolina 3 years ago with a group of beer drinking supers, we spent two days at Pinehurst and Tobacco Road just looking at the set ups and had a blast.

Matt

Why doesn't that surprise me ?  ;D

Do we have anything like those in NC back here ?

Steve Lang

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
 8) I love Pinehurst, the whole Sand Hills area, played there the equivalent of 20 weeks between 1980 and 2006. Love at first site and sight.  For the first couple of years we played a different course morning and afternoon for each week's visit, doing the walk, 36-54 holes per day.. and at a cost all week for what it would cost for a day and dinner at Pinehurst.. i couldn't believe what they wanted then or now to play there.. and so never did.. we always played first round at Southern Pines CC (The Elks, ran's place) to pay first homage to Ross and then took in the related Maples family venues and others..I think now a Mid-Pines then Pine Needles ending or with a retread #2 would be a great finish.. with Tobacco road thrown in the middle and any number of other courses just fine to play for fun if not "great" gca..

I really love Bandon, after a 4 day visit in mid-may this year.. great great great..  but nothing else in real support close by.. that's why one should just get there asap and enjoy as long as possible or until funds, time or testosterone runs out..

so explore an area ± 40 minutes around a home base or ride a shuttle ± 3-4 minutes ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Moore II

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
I have not been to Pinehurst but are wondering if I were to visit - which courses should one include in their itinerary as "must plays" ? Also - if you were staying for say at least 3 days would you play any of them multiple times ?

Are all the courses at Bandon "must plays" ? I have been to Bandon and I would suggest all are "must plays" and worth including in an itinerary. The only qualifier being if I was staying for at least 3 days - I wouldn't include Bandon Dunes in my multiple plays.

Your thoughts ?

Never been to Bandon (though I am going in March) so I can't comment on that, however, I will make my yearly comments about Pinehurst.

Courses:
Pay the money and play #2, its worth it, I kick myself in the ass every day that I didn't fork over the coin when I lived there, I only played 3 holes and walked the rest.

I haven't seen #4 and #8, but they are probably worth seeing, and unlike #2 you won't have to pay a surcharge above the hotel rate to play them.

CCNC and Forest Creek I have seen and I wouldn't travel from far away to play them. While the are very good, they are not exactly unique. You've probably played a dozen courses like them where you are from.

Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm need to be seen for sure. Mike Strantz's work is very unique to the world of golf and aught to be seen.

Pine Needles also needs to be seen. Mid Pines, to me, is sketchy. Sure, its better than a lot of courses down there, but I thought it was just OK. If you choose to play MP and PN on the same day, play MP first, you'll get a major let down if you don't.

Southern Pines is worth a play, depending on time of year. During the spring the cost is like $125, not worth that, I don't think.

As far as other courses, Mid South is good, The Pit is unique though I don't really care for it, and there are plenty of other middle of the road courses. I have no clue what is good or bad with Dormie Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back