News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Bowes Creek Golf Club - Elgin, IL
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
I Made the trek out to Elgin last weekend to give Bowes Creek a try and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.  You pull into what looks like a massive half-finished housing development, which instantly made me cringe and drop my expectation a notch (don't judge a book...).  But after getting past all the houses you pull into a nice club house overlooking the course; the setup reminded me a lot of Cassique's clubhouse/range/setup.

After a cluster you-know-what on the first tee, we finally got off the first tee to find wide fairways, thoughtful and attractive bunkering, firm turf, and interesting green complexes.  The course also had multiple centerline bunkers which isn't a common theme for new courses.  We played in a big wind and the course remained quite playable.  Many holes/shots were deceptively short, appearing to be much longer than they actually played.  I have never run into this on another course.  Good mix of par 4s and 5s ranging from reachable holes to quite long, especially depending on wind direction.  What I really like was that the fairways were quite wide, but definite advantages were gained from being in certain areas, whether it was left side/right side or shorter/longer.  The par 3s didn't vary much in distance (three in the 190-210 range), but that is easily fixed by moving around tees.

I haven't been too impressed with Chicago's public golf since moving here two years ago (granted, I haven't played a ton of it), so this isn't a HUGE endorsement, but Bowes Creek is tied in my book for my favorite public in Chicagoland w/ Ravisloe.  I thought Cog #4 was a "good" course, but there are a lot of courses I would much rather play on a day to day basis, which is one of my main measuring sticks when it comes to GCA.  Bowes Creek was one of those courses; it is worth a look.

Forgot I had my camera until the last hole, so I've only got this, the 18th tee shot:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:19:19 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matthew Sander

Re: Bowes Creek Golf Club - Elgin, IL
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
George,

Thanks for the Bowes Creek info. I haven't made it out there yet, but hope to later this fall or next year. I know that Paul Thomas started a thread earlier in the year and had some good things to say. I believe Rick Jacobson designed Bowes Creek and the bunkering and some of the green surrounds resemble the remodel he did at Indian Lakes.

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:36 AM »
Bowes is very nice, but the one to see is the Highlands of Elgin.  It could make the top 10 of Chicagoland public courses.... :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
Did they have the "member for the day" price where you can play all the golf you want for a reasonable rate? The guys who run Weekly Challenge have been talking about taking us out there next season. . . I'll have to sneak out one nice fall day and give it a look.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
Yum - the rabbits of Askernesh strike again with their frilly edged bunker techniques.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
How long was the drive out?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
How long was the drive out?

It was about an hour from the city without traffic.  Not too bad.

Thanks again for Yesterday Jud, I had a great time!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
Yum - the rabbits of Askernesh strike again with their frilly edged bunker techniques.

Mike
The frilly edges and the catch basins are not the best combo....

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »

Mike
The frilly edges and the catch basins are not the best combo....

Ryan,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by catch basins?  The body of water right of the hole?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
Sorry George,

it has to do with the fairway contouring..... The water does not surface flow to the lake, instead it is funneled to contained lows throughout the fairway which are fitted with plastic grates (the place where your ball always rolls into, forcing you to pluck it out and drop it back on the fairway), then the water goes down the pipes and into the lake.

It just makes for an un-natual looking fairway..... opposite of the frilly edged bunker. Instead of nice rolling contours you basically get a flat fairway that is dotted with these low areas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back