News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Multiple Plays of the Same Hole in the Same Day
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »
In the architectural/playability reason thread Pat Mucci mentions how he played the 18th one day at NGLA about 30 times.

This raises a couple of interesting questions.

Have you played a hole multiple times in the same day? Which hole was it?

Which two holes would you play repeatedly in one day given a chance? Why?

The hole I played the most in one day was the 1st at Co. Louth, 4 times, it was regional qualifying for the Open and was involved in a 7 hole playoff, so played it once in the round and 3 times in the playoff. Can't remember playing more than 3 rounds in any particular day on any course as a kid.

The 2 holes I'd like to get a chance to play repeatedly in the same day would be the 9th at Cypress Point and the 13th at Augusta. The 9th at Cypress because anytime I play it I feel compelled to hit driver but with so many different ways to play it would love to go back to the tee and play many different tee shots to find the most efficient way of playing it. The driver will always be the most fun though!

The 13th at Augusta looks like it would be great fun to play as well, trying to hit that big draw off the tee, then whether to lay up or go for it off the hanging lie. Where to lay up to would be another conundrum. I'm sure there would be plenty of shots off the pine straw on the right and surely some opportunities to play from Rae's Creek. Of course there's all the little short shots around the green that would be begging to be played multiple different ways.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Multiple Plays of the Same Hole in the Same Day
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
#9 at Quaker Ridge.

I know I played it at least 4 times one afternoon last year. While it is my second favorite hole on the course, as a short par-3 you will definitely see a big spread of numbers on this hole. It happens to be located right next to the employee parking lot, so it lends itself perfectly for settling bets...  I would put some $ on the line challenging someone to play this hole 4 times in a row and not make a double bogey.

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Jason McOlgan and I each played 12 balls to the 9th hole at Kingsley one night after having played a round there earlier in the day.  We each played 1 ball from 6 different tees (three from the south and three from the west) walked to the green and finished them up and then repeated.

I could repeat this exercise on any of the par 3s at Kingsley. I could also do this on any other hole out there. The par 3 just makes it easier to do the hole thing start to finish without walking too far back to repeat.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:53 PM »
    When you play Sunnybrook in Philadelphia, you play the same home twice, twice in every round.  The 10th and 16th are the same hole, and the 11th and 18th are the same hole (so to speak).  Also, the 8th and 17th at Kennett Square are the same hole.  And the 4th and 7 at Philly Cricket are awfully similar.  In all these examples, the tees and greens are pretty much side by side.  I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I think it's fun.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I could play the 7th at Sand Hills all day long. I am not sure that I can figure out what the correct play off the tee is, and I am not sure I can figure out what the best attack to the green is. I am sure that it would be fun.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
Does the Challenge Hole (WGV), St. Augustine Florida count ?  ;D

I think I hit two buckets of balls at that island green

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Four times in the same day I played the 6th hole at Pacific Dunes. The first time was with Tom Paul and Don Placek as part of Archipalozza. Then 3 times more in the afternoon with Don and Kye Goalby as we picked holes and randomly played Pac Dunes from various tees. That was a fun afternoon.

I tried a different tact each time and got to know the hole much better as I went.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
Padraig,

There are a number of holes that I could play all day long, but, on the same golf course, a par 3, par 4 and par 5, it would be the 6th, 8th and 18th holes at NGLA.

Others that come to mind all seem to enjoy good to great breezes off the water/ocean.

I think the wind, with its shifting direction and velocity, exponentially increases the interest factor.

Holes that fascinate me and arouse my curiosity include the 1st, 4th & 13th at PV, the 13th at ANGC, the 5th at Newport, the 18th at Seminole, the 16th at Boca Rio, the 8th at CC of Fairfield, the 9th & 16th at Shinnecock, the 3rd at North Shore, the 10th, 13th & 16th at GCGC, the 6th at Mountain Ridge, the 13th & 16th at Essex County East for starters.

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
I played 9th hole at Muirfield 4 times trying to make a par  :'(.  It was a wet day and we were the only ones on the course playing our second round.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »
I think that par 3's--especially shorter ones--would suffer in this comparison.  Without being able to change pin locations, how many different ways can you play a hole less than 140 yards? 

In that regard, the interest for me in this discussion would begin at the tee.  The only times I've played a hole three times in one day was the back nine at Ballyneal.  Of those holes, #12 and #13 offer the most choices of distance and direction off the tee to provide many, many fun options for the approach shots.  I've played all the holes at Wolf Point twice in a day, some of them three.  More than any course I've ever played, you can attack those holes off the tee in infinite ways.  Realistically, you can play anything from a driver to a 5 iron off the tee on at least 6 holes--all par 4's or par 5's.

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

Holes that fascinate me and arouse my curiosity include the 1st, 4th & 13th at PV, the 13th at ANGC, the 5th at Newport, the 18th at Seminole, the 16th at Boca Rio, the 8th at CC of Fairfield, the 9th & 16th at Shinnecock, the 3rd at North Shore, the 10th, 13th & 16th at GCGC, the 6th at Mountain Ridge, the 13th & 16th at Essex County East for starters.

Playing much public golf these days Pat?  ;D  Though I would like to read more on your take of the 4th at PV. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »

Playing much public golf these days Pat?  ;D 

Ben, I didn't say that I'd played these courses recently, only that I'd be content to play those holes over and over and over again.
I've played alot of Public Golf in my earlier years.

Though I would like to read more on your take of the 4th at PV.

I'm more fascinated by # 1 and # 13, but, the reason I like # 4 is the variety of shots off the tee and the variety of lies and approach shots into the green, together with the uniqueness of the approach and recoveries.

Where and how do you intend drive the ball off the tee.
Then, understanding that you're not perfect, how do you cope with the lie and approach into the green.

The possibilities are endless, the variety unlimited.
I like that 

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
Pat,

I was just curious.  A cursory look combined with my very limited knowledge of PV shows that 1, 4, and 13 are all longish holes with distinct landing areas with carries to the next portion of fairway up to the green.  I've also seen in other threads that these are some of the most ground oriented holes on the course. 

Which leads me to the conclusion that those three holes are some of the most option diverse off the tee--and in turn option diverse in approaches--on that particular golf course. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
I'd love to replay the 12th at The Old Course all day long.  It owns me.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Padraig,

There are a number of holes that I could play all day long, but, on the same golf course, a par 3, par 4 and par 5, it would be the 6th, 8th and 18th holes at NGLA.

Others that come to mind all seem to enjoy good to great breezes off the water/ocean.

I think the wind, with its shifting direction and velocity, exponentially increases the interest factor.

Pat,

What about the 18th at Seminole fascinates you and arouses your curiosity?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
Foxy

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
I suppose another question to ask is would you play a course just to play one hole only?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Padraig,

Pat,

The orientation and velocity of the wind as I drive up to Juno Beach.

Will it be a drive and wedge or drive and 3-wood.
Will I cut the corner, or aim at the Flag pole or points further north ?

Will the hole be cut in the front, middle or back, close to the left edge or right edge.

How will I play the hole if I have a good round going when I step up onto the 18th tee.

These are just some of my curiosities

Philippe Binette

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
That's the great thing about 9 hole courses... you get a second crack at every hole and quickly...

The 3rd hole at Bridport golf club in Tasmania was so fun because of that, steep sidehill green

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
Padraig,

Pat,

Will the hole be cut in the front, middle or back, close to the left edge or right edge.

How will I play the hole if I have a good round going when I step up onto the 18th tee.

I think, despite my effort from the tee on the one time I played there, that 18 is a great driving hole.  The more you bail to the right the more uphill and seemingly small the landing area is on the green.  Especially since coming up short leaves you several feet below the current green (in the same bunker that was there when the green was down the hill).  If a drive is played long and up the left side the approach shot is rather benign so long as the pin isn't on the right half of the green.

I agree, it is a very strategic hole.  I might argue that #17 might be more of a over-and-over again hole for me but I can understand your reasons for #18.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
Padraig,

Pat,

I think, despite my effort from the tee on the one time I played there, that 18 is a great driving hole.  The more you bail to the right the more uphill and seemingly small the landing area is on the green.  Especially since coming up short leaves you several feet below the current green (in the same bunker that was there when the green was down the hill). 

If a drive is played long and up the left side the approach shot is rather benign so long as the pin isn't on the right half of the green.

So much depends upon the direction and velocity of the wind.
that second shot from the left isn't as benign as you might think, especially if you're playing medal play, and getting to the left side of the fairway and not the bunkers and not the rough isn't so easy either.
It's a very demanding hole, from tee shot, to approach to recoveries to putting.

I agree, it is a very strategic hole.  I might argue that #17 might be more of a over-and-over again hole for me but I can understand your reasons for #18.

# 17 green is effectively 1/3 it's actual size and can play smaller with certain wind direction and velocity.
It's target golf on steroids.
As an island green, hard against the ocean, who dares play out toward the ocean when the wind is strong from the east ?
And, if you do, your ball will be approaching that green from the norther east, making it very difficult for your ball to hold on that green and not roll down into the far away bunker

Those are three (3) great finishing holes no matter which direction the wind is blowing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back