News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Can anyone provide tee times or a linky to the tournament information?  Checked google and didn't find much.

Cheers!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jeff Goldman

Re: Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
Here are the tee times for the first round.  Live scoring is on Golfstat.com

http://golfstatresults.com/public/tee_times/index.cfm?tournament_id=2298:

Marquee group:

Championship Tees  8:32  
Scott Langley, Illinois;  Peter Uihlein Oklahoma State;  Andrew Yun Stanford

2009 U.S. Amateur Champion Ben An tees off at 9:36.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:10:19 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
Jeff,

Why was that beaver so darned hellacious?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
Ask Mike Young.  It's his beaver.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »
This is a five-star tournament, including NCAA champion Augusta State, NCAA runner-up Oklahoma State, host Illinois (the current Big Ten champion), plus Texas, Cal, Stanford, Northwestern and Arizona State. A few years ago, we saw Rickie Fowler stiff an iron on the par-3 16th (North Course) to lock up the individual title. Langley, Uihlein and Yun are all first rate, along with Cody Gribble (Texas). I see David Chung, the Western Am champion from Stanford, isn't in the field, but it'll be a great show.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:36:48 PM by Tim_Cronin »
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  Will round two tee times be based on round one's results?
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
It is a great field on a good course. My Tigers won the Minnasota Invatational this weekend against a much weaker field. But a win is a win. I hope you guys will go watch college golf is very good and fun.

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
Some of the "kids" just step up and hit it. Rickie Fowler was even faster in college. It's the coaches and the babysitting that occurs on the par 3's that slow down college golf. Take away the coaches and the rounds would be 45 mins quicker, easily.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
Clint:

Do they allow coaches to walk the course with the players? One of the single worst rules I've seen in all of golf is one here in Wisconsin that allows high school coaches to walk with players and -- really, it's so awful I can barely type this -- measure off yardages with range-finders (or whatever you call those things). Whatever happened to letting kids develop their own sense of how to hit a shot? I'm not opposed to coaching, but it really slows down the game and in my mind hinders the development of a player's imagination and thinking around a course.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Today was an absolutely perfect and gorgeous day for golf here in Chicago.  I saw the scores were pretty good, with the leader at -4.  I assume they didn't have them playing 'all the way back'?

I hope to get out there tomorrow or Sunday to see some great young players!

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
Paul,

Played a little over  7000 or so yards. That, and terrific scoring conditions--no wind, greens in really good condition etc made the scoring  average something like 2.5 shots easier than last year. Great playing.

John Blain

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
This is a five-star tournament, including NCAA champion Augusta State, NCAA runner-up Oklahoma State, host Illinois (the current Big Ten champion), plus Texas, Cal, Stanford, Northwestern and Arizona State. A few years ago, we saw Rickie Fowler stiff an iron on the par-3 16th (North Course) to lock up the individual title. Langley, Uihlein and Yun are all first rate, along with Cody Gribble (Texas). I see David Chung, the Western Am champion from Stanford, isn't in the field, but it'll be a great show.

Does anyone know why David Chung and Sihwan Kim aren't playing in this event for Stanford?  Seems awfullly strange that they would leave their two best players home in what is arguably the best event they will play in this fall.

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 05:12:36 PM »
The golf course was in great shape, the rough was gnarly, and had a great time bringing the kids today.

Cheers to the Illini and to OFCC for hosting.

:)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
I walked nine holes with Peter Uihlein (reigning US Amateur champ) and Scott Langley (reigning NCAA champ).  Uihlein looks like a special player.  He has all the shots and he absolutely bombs it off the tee.  I'm sure winning the Amateur does a lot for a young man's confidence and he presents himself as a confident player should.  I talked to him briefly and he mentioned that Chambers Bay was a wild experience because you almost never aimed for the flagstick, instead trying to route or bank the ball toward the hole.  He said that he "didn't miss a shot" on the final day and had an average putt length of more than thirty feet.  He felt like there would be some changes to the golf course to take some of the crazy rolls away on the greens.  Interestingly, his mom mentioned that he had committed to finishing his college career, so we will have to wait a couple years to see him on the pro tour.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back