News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Best Golf Course from the forward tees.
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »
At Terry's suggestion, lets open this one up.  What would you consider to be the best golf course from the forward tees?

As I mentioned in the other thread, Joe Bausch and I were marveling at the different strategies presented from the forward tees at Pine Valley.  It would be pretty neat to be able to do something like that because of how a number of the holes would be huge risk reward shots off the tee.  It would create much different looks and plays on a number of holes.  18 would potentially be drivable and could make for a great finish. :)

Another suggestion having done it a few times....Stonewall (Old) is a great course to play from the forward tees.  They have a Black Friday tournament every year where the forward tees are played to very very difficult pin locations.  It makes for a very different experience because you can get some different looks into the greens, but you have a very tough time putting them! :o

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Dan Herrmann

Re: Best Golf Course from the forward tees.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Mark,
How about Pacific Dunes?

I was amazed at the coolness of the forward tees when I last played there with Laura.  No - I didn't play from there, but I did walk on over to many of the tees to catch a glimpse.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
Any great courses, should also be great from the forward tees. Name one that isn't?

Since I'm not a fan of too many vista tees, especially the ones you need to back track up hill to reach, many modern courses that have the forward tees at grade, have better looking holes that interfaces better with the architecture. And in most cases the big bunker complex guarding the inside leg of a turn, looms much larger from the forward tees, and is therefore, more impressive and intimidating.

Many of the prairie links courses I frequent, when played forward are just a blast. Tempting the golfer to go for it, while exacting a huge price for failure. But still allowing for heroic recoveries. Who could ask for more than that? 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »
Adam,

If you had to chose two 18 hole tracks to play from the forward tees, which ones would they be?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »
Royal Melbourne... by playing it only with a putter you would have a blast.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »
Mark, Not really an answer.... Apparently I'm one of the few who have no problem moving up. I often suggest it when playing with some elderly guys who have been brow beaten into playing back, because their younger counterparts perceive they have an advantage from farther.

I recently played with a newer golfer at Ballyneal and while she can get it out there, for a beginner, we played forward all day. My initial thought when reading this thread was Wild Horse, based upon Pete Lavalee's wife's experience. And we recently played Dismal River from forward, in a scramble (It was our fifth nine of the day) and we had an absolute blast pulling off shots that we assume only a pro could contemplate.

So, I don't have to pick to two. I pick'em all. Mostly because I like to have fun on a golf course and getting beat up hitting 3 woods into par 4's all day, gets old quickly.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Andy Shulman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Adam about hitting 3-woods into par 4s all day.

As for playing up, at Tobacco Road we played from the second set (5,886 yards) and had all we could handle, even though we would normally play tees of up to 6,500 yards.  Even though we weren't all the way up, I'd imagine that the forward tees would be very enjoyable.  Instead of taking away driver as an option, I can see three holes on the card (#s 9, 15 and 16) that would give most golfers a chance to try and drive the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back