News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Falsterbo course profile is posted under Courses by Country
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »
Before heading there, the most prominent photographs that Joe or I had seen of Falsterbo were from the air. And why not? Given how the Falsterbo peninsula protrudes into where the Oresund and Baltic Sea meet, there are few better camera shots in golf.

Nonetheless, the game is played on the ground and that's where courses get their golf quality - or lack thereof. Joe and I had seen few ground photos of Falsterbo so neither knew what to expect. Still, expectations were high, given its famous setting.

To begin with, the course is flat and the best views of the water are indeed from the air. In terms of the two large bodies of water that define it, the golfer primarily just sees them from the twelfth and seventeenth tees. The lighthouse is more prevalent as a dominant feature as it is seen from many more holes. That's good in its own right as lighthouse=sea=wind, so the key - albeit invisible - element of wind is definitely there.

In a most refreshing manner, the course seems to thrive on its flatness. There is a total absence of built-up tees or framing around the greens. In addition, very little dirt/sand was disturbed tee to green. In that regard, given the lack of eye candy/framing and of trying to make the golfer feel comfortable, Joe and I left thinking that many Brits would love the course and many Americans might be slightly disappointed.

Those who prefer things spelt out for them  - from the commanding position afforded from an elevated tee to hazards that are clearly defined to greens where depth perception is no issue - will be in for a tough day. Conversely, those who like golf played in an open landscape will embrace the absence of artificiality here. You likely won't score as well as you would hope as it will take rounds and rounds to get a feel for distance, but that's ok too!

Without a doubt, the course sits softly upon the land, freeing the golfer to appreciate the many long views. Despite hosting big events, the Club has never fallen prey to any fads in architecture and has always remained true to the course's natural setting. For that, they should be applauded for being such good stewards.

Tom Doak wrote in The Confidential Guide that Hoylake 'separates the true lovers of links golf from those who only sort of understand it.' I don't really agree with that as you are an idiot  ;) if you don't love Hoylake but the sentiments of those words apply very well here at Falsterbo. There is a raw element of man versus nature at Falsterbo that any old trooper will appreciate. As you will see in the nineteen photos found in this course profile, there is lots of good golf on the ground.

Next course profile to be posted, which will be on Monday: the best 5,600 yard course in the world!

Cheers,

Adam Lawrence

Re: Falsterbo course profile is posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
There aren't many more beautiful spots in golf than the seventeenth tee at Falsterbo. Lovely place.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30274.0/

additional pix of Falsterbo, from a different season of the year.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
I wonder if Dustin Johnson would ground his club in Ran's 3rd picture, the fifteenth fairway....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30274.0/

additional pix of Falsterbo, from a different season of the year.

Ran & Peter

Thanks for the tours.  Falsterbro looks to be a course I would find very enjoyable yet it seems to have a unique identity.  I don't believe I have seen anything quite like it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony Ristola

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »

Philip Spogard

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »
Great review. Nice, sandy course at the Southern tip of Sweden.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
Christoph Meister has kindly sent along three photos from his collection. The first one is an aerial view (and I have embedded it in the course profile):

What can you say?!

Here is one looking back off the fifteenth tee of the lighthouse that pre-dates 1800.

Here is one of the clubhouse whose footprint has grown through the years but that still occupies the same spot today.

Only on GolfClubAtlas can you post a profile on Falsterbo and find that you are a couple of months late to the party  :-[

Peter and Eric, I see the bunkers were full of water when you were there too - I wonder how frequent an occurrence that is? I know August may have set a record for rainfall but the greens may have been the firmest on the trip, a great tribute to the work that occured to them a decade ago by Nordwall and Chamberlain.

Cheers,

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Ran,

Peter is a wonderful architect who is an absolute fan of links golf.  Could you tell the difference between the Nordwall greens and the Chamberlain greens, there is a distinct difference.

Peter Nordwall taught David Kidd many things including how much effort to put into a routing.  David told me once that of 10 things that Peter might have tried to teach him, he has taken at least 8 lessons with him in his own design work especially the effort required to get a good routing.

Peter is a true gentleman.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:16:02 PM »
Thanks Ran for sharing

Falsterbo sounds like a must see if ever I am fortunate to visit that part of the world.

You mentioned Maidstone in your review - are there any courses in GB&I that you felt either played like it or felt similar in topography ?

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
Kevin,

Sean Arble has seen all the notable courses in England and could better answer your question. In my limited experience, the best combination of dunes and marshland is had at Westward Ho!, Burnham & Berrow and Brancaster but none would remind the golfer of Falsterbo as it never weaves in and out of dunes. Falsterbo is unique unto itself, which is part of its charm/appeal.

Brian,

Who deserves credit for the third green? I had never seen rolls like that back to back and I thought it was particularly well done. In fact, hard to imagine the course was as good before the recent work to the greens.

Cheers,

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:46 AM »
Kevin

I agree with Ran.  I haven't seen a course like Falsterbo anywhere in the UK.     

Ran

How much above sea level is Falterbro? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »
When I visited Falsterbo two years ago, I thought the same thing - there's nothing like this back home. I've never seen a links with that much open water on the interior of the course.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Ran,

Peter is a wonderful architect who is an absolute fan of links golf.  Could you tell the difference between the Nordwall greens and the Chamberlain greens, there is a distinct difference.

Peter Nordwall taught David Kidd many things including how much effort to put into a routing.  David told me once that of 10 things that Peter might have tried to teach him, he has taken at least 8 lessons with him in his own design work especially the effort required to get a good routing.

Peter is a true gentleman.

Brian,

I haven't played Falsterbo, but my home course (Bro-Bålsta) is a Peter Nordwall design. The greens are huge (some over 55 yds long, and some just as wide) and are characterized by very large scale undulations. In some cases he has built slopes that occupy as mush as a 1/4 of the green area. One green in particular looks as if an elephant is buried underneath; the result being that perhaps only 50% of the green is suitable for a hole location. Because the slopes are on such a large scale, it difficult at times to see any break on a putt. Many of the greens appear quite tame and without any noticable slope, but when you stroke your putt, the end result is usually a putt that swing violently off line. When I get the time, I will post a photo review of the course.

One aspect of Bro-Bålsta's design that does impress me is the routing. The course seems to flow effortlessly through the landscape, starting in semi-open forest and then transitioning to holes that are a bit more enclosed, and then back again to the more open forest. Most of the up-hill changes in elevation are achieved by clever green to tee walks, with the result that the course is an easy walk for golfers of all ages.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
Kevin,

Sean Arble has seen all the notable courses in England and could better answer your question. In my limited experience, the best combination of dunes and marshland is had at Westward Ho!, Burnham & Berrow and Brancaster but none would remind the golfer of Falsterbo as it never weaves in and out of dunes. Falsterbo is unique unto itself, which is part of its charm/appeal.

Thanks Ran (& Sean) - Westward Ho! did come to mind but it seems Falsterbo's uniqueness is certainly appealing.

Are there any other good golf courses worth seeing nearby ?

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »
Kevin,

There is an appealing course within 3k of Falsterbo where Joe and I saw 2-3 holes and it is Ljunghusens Golfklubb. We had not heard much about it but like Falsterbo, it's right on the water, quite open and exposed to the elements. Given what we now know, we certainly would have made arrangemnets to also play it the same day.

Sean,

Falsterbo is at sea level and the difference from its high to low point might be ten feet, with the high point being the twelfth tee benched into a dune.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
Ljunghusens is pretty cool, they have 27 holes and the 9 I played were true links golf. Not of Falsterbo's quality, but certainly worth playing when you're in the area. There is a third seaside course also on the Falsterbo peninsula called Flommens GK, which I have not played yet. Here's a pic I snapped at Ljunghusens:

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:21:27 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
I see Ran has just posted a photo of the 17th hole at Falsterbo on the main page.... We were just there with the EIGCA and I thoroughly enjoyed the course... For me, the 17th was the best on the course although I'd take 7, 8, 9, 12 & 18 as well...

Great place...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »
I recall quite a few years ago watching on TV a Men's European Tour event being played at Falsterbo. There was a high tee somewhere, no idea which hole, where the players and caddies seemed more interested in watching and discussing the attributes of the ladies on the beach than analysing their yardage books!

All the best

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back