News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

This year's post on the Fighting Illini Invitational
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
Greetings all,

This is my annual post on the Olympia Feilds University of Illinois Fighting Illini Invitational, sponsored by Polo, which will be held on the North Course at OFCC this upcoming Friday - Sunday, September 17-19th.  As usual, we have a terrific field, with the United States Amateur Champion Peter Uihlien, runner-up David Chung, NCAA individual Champion Scott Langley and 4 other quaterfinalists from the Am.  7 of the top 10 college golfers according to Golfworld will be there, as will the team competing in the world amateur championships.

Teams include NCAA champs Augusta State, runner up Oklahoma State, season favorites Alabama, Host Illinois, Stanford, Florida, Florida State, Northwestern, etc.etc.  Should be very cool, public is welcome, parking is free onsite at the club, and no ropes.  You can walk right along with the contestants.  We'll be barbequeing as usual out near the course.

I have been to every one of these events, and they are really awesome.  Ricky Fowler played at OFCC 2 years, and I'm sure we will see a number of these guys on tour in a couple years.

Jeff Goldman

That was one hellacious beaver.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: This year's post on the Fighting Illini Invitational
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
Jeff where are my tigers in that solid field. I am pleased there is no Missouri Ohio state or Michigan either.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Tiger,

You have to make nice with Coach Small to grab an invite.  ;D  Apparently, this is a very hot ticket in college golf (must be the Ribeye steaks we grill Saturday night before the final round.

Going to be very cool.  I wouldn't be surprised if the two finalists from the US Am are in the same pairing at some point.

Jeff

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
Jeff,

I hope all is well!

What time does the event start on Sunday?  What is the best time to be there?

Thanks!

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Paul OConnor

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »
And the course is absolutely magnifcent. 
The greens are as good as they have been all year, fast and firm and awesome.
The fairways are perfect and by Thursday the rough will be 4" and thick.
Good luck to the College lads!!!

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
George,

Leaders will probably tee off around 9-9:30 on Sunday.

Over the past few years conditions for the event have either been very soft with lots of rough (because of lots of rain), or very firm with thin rough (because of no rain).  This year looks like the latter, which is much more fun to watch.  We don't really do anything special to prepare the course except maybe Sam double cuts and rolls the greens, since it gets a lot of member play in September.  Also, the course is open for play during the tournament once the rounds are complete for the day, and it is really fun to out there and see how it plays with greens like that.  Last year I putted off about 4 of them.  ;D

One other interesting point.  The Course played a stroke or more harder last year being very firm with not much rough than the year before being soft with really bad rough.

I heard that we're changing from Rib-eyes to New York strips for the bbq.  Burp.

Jeff

Chris Flamion

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »
I will try to make it down on Sunday in my Bama finest, aka jean shorts and a cut off t-shirt. 

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »
Chris,

I think Alabama signed the kid that shot the 57 a while ago.  Don't know if he's on the traveling roster or not.

Jeff

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the post Jeff, I hope all is well.

What a field Mike Small has put together this year, as you said, this seems to be a very hot ticket for golf programs across the country.

I would try to make it down there, but I have a wedding to be at in St. Charles  :-\
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back