News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike H

What is needed to hold a major.
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:45:48 PM »
What is needed for a course to host a major championship on the PGA, Champions Tour or LPGA?

Phil_the_Author

Re: What is needed to hold a major.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »
First, and I know others will disagree with this, the course must have the potential to be deserving of hosting it. Secondly, and more importantly, the membership was be motivated to really want to host it and to be willing to sacrifice some things such as playing time and damage repairs...

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
About 7200 yards, tight fairways and quick greens.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
The club also needs a lot of land area either bordering the course or very nearby. And they need a large driving range.

Powell Arms

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
I think it is a combination of the above posts.  The prerequisite is a course that can be made "worthy" of the event (which is tight, tough, firm, and has a backstory), and the ability to handle the logistics of the event for the players.  Double sided range, short game area, etc.  An ability to handle the anticipated crowd is key, and people with houses adjacent to Merion East have already learned the value of their land for corporate tents in 2013.  Parking does not be adjacent to the course.  The 10+ minute bus ride seems to be acceptable - granted, the events I'm remembering are PGA, not USGA.

Of course, none of this matters if the members dont have a very strong desire to give up their course for a couple of prime weeks in the season.  But I think that desire for a USGA event or major is very different, and perhaps easier to foster, than for an annually occurring event.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
A golf course without members.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
unidentifiable bunkers.

Pat Burke

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:20:44 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
And space for tents to make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:52:59 AM »
Money
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill Hyde

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
Another thing to consider is the tax situation. A non-profit club is limited to roughly 5% of revenue from outside sources. From what I understand, Oakland Hills here in Detroit is set up as a for-profit club. That way they can make (or lose as in the case of the most recent PGA) as much money as they want.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
Gotta have the space for hostpitality tents.  And a solid practice area.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
contact the USGA. PGA. PGA Tour, or LPGA. They all have prepared info on what is required to host a championship.

But first be absolutely sure you want to know.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jim Tang

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:54:21 PM »
Money.  Space for tents/vendors.  Access to nearby hotels.  A good golf course.  Probably in that order.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back