News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Centennial Golf Club
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
Anyone played this 27 hole facility designed by Larry Nelson in Carmel New York? Thoughts?

Fred Yanni

Re: Centennial Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:47 PM »
Tim I have played all three nines on several occassions.   There are some holes with severe elevation changes on one of the nines that don't really work for me other than the scenic views.  

Overall, I think the most of the holes are pretty average.  I don't love the course and none of the holes on any of the nines are all that memorable.  I would not turn down an invite to play there but I am not sure I would come out of pocket to go back.  

If you go wait until the leaves change at least so if you don't love the course at least the vistas will be nice.

I would rank it below Oxford Greens and Great River (both mid to high end daily fee courses in CT) in terms of the quality of the course.  But I too would be interested to hear others comments. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:59:29 PM by Fred Yanni »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
I've never played the course, but it is a little ironic that Nelson had a design with Jeff Brauer here in Atlanta also called Centennial.  Very good design that closed a few years ago at the height of the housing boom.  Was Jeff involved with the Centennial in NY?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
I've played different combinations of the nines a few times and second the prior opinion. At best public golf average in terms of design, shot values and conditioning --- long rounds, especially on weekends --- I certainly would recommend driving up to Great River or --- if money is no object -- even the overpriced Dye-designed Pound Ridge is a valid alternative.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
I've been to centennial a few times... actually I just caddied for the owner/developer on saturday morning (not at centennial).. As mentioned before, the property has some serious elevation changes in it, therefore creating a few awkward holes. Over the course of 27 holes you will find some good ones, a some not so good ones, and a lot in the middle. There are definitely a lot of exciting shots that can be played, but if you want to see great architecture I wouldn't drive from nyc all the way to carmel... Also walking not really much of an option.

The best part of CGC is the short game practice facility. In the past they have held some Pelz short game schools there, and I definitely took a little inspiration from it when designing my first short game area.

Another note... the owner also built the 36 hole Pine Hills up in Plymouth, Mass. I happen to like PH a bit better, but the property is a lot
better. Similar product though.

the practice facility...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
Tim:

Just a great example of a so-so CCFAD layout. Positioned nicely in the Hudson River Valley and close enough to grab it's share of people who want to play premium dollars for a well-conditioned but often pedestrian course. Yes, a few holes of note but anyone making plans for a special trip -- say from 75-100 miles away is wasting their time.

Agree about the practice area -- but you have other options that are more cost conscious and more interesting to play -- Links at Unionvale in Lagrangeville is a a worthy subsitute.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back