News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Patterson

Re: What settles you down into a round?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Usually if I drive the ball well, I'll have a good day, so for me, the key is hitting the fairway, and getting it out there a decent ways.  Having a short iron into the 1st green is always a good feeling and one that always seemed to settle me. 

Most recently though, I have been struggling with taking my game from range > course.  I never had this problem until about 3 months ago.  I had been looking forward to a round at a very nice club and had been practicing on the range the get ready.  Since moving to SC last November, my rounds have been severely decreased and have been replaced with practices on the range/putting green.  I hit 5 days in a row, then took Friday off in preparation for Saturday's round.  That morning, i hit fine on the range, and was a little nervous, so thought I would be ok once we got on the course.  I hit a great drive on #1, and then from my iron shot in my swing fell apart.  I started swinging WAY too hard and just hitting some horribly ugly shots.  It's like I completely forget how to hit a golf ball.........and is pretty hard to take sometimes.  When I left CO I was a 7 handicap...my last round a couple of weeks ago I shot a 99.................so I'm pretty frustrated to say the least

This has continued for the most part on all rounds since then, except for 3 rounds I played with my Dad back home over July 4th.  If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
...I have been struggling with taking my game from range > course.

I've heard people say this. What's never been clear to me is why not just stop going to the range?

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
I agree to some extent about just stopping range visits, however, when playing my best golf out in CO, I was playing 3-4 days, 9-18 holes after work, and then hitting balls/putting the other 3-4 days of the week.  So, I never eliminated the range, and was playing well. 

Since moving to SC, I hit the range 5-6 days a week/putting, and 9 holes once or twice every month or so (could be more infrequent than that). 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
Does SC mean South Carolina? Our best golf weather of the year is coming up these next 8-10 weeks or so.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
It does..Charleston to be exact!  It's crazy that I play less golf here than I did in CO....I would have thought the opposite before moving here, and did! 

If you want to play a round, I'm always up for it!

C. Squier

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
When traveling - Seeing the clubs on the baggage claim.  Had the sticks "misplaced" too many times.

When visiting a friend's club - meeting my host. Being a guest is always at least a little bit nerve wracking.

At home clubs - No clouds in the sky. 

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »
Ironically, the thing that always settled me down into a round and took any nerviousness off was missing a shot. As soon as I missed a shot I was just fine, calm and could pretty much just flow from then on.

I guess since I'm a lesser golfer, it's the exact opposite. I'm an okay iron player, so I usually have a pretty well struck one relatively early that relaxes me a bit, probably makes me think I'm not as bad as I fear. Before that, I'm definitely worried. Kinda sad, I know.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Carl Nichols

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »
Does SC mean South Carolina? Our best golf weather of the year is coming up these next 8-10 weeks or so.

let's hope so -- will be in kiawah next week

David_Elvins

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »
A decent warm up on the practice fairway and practice green.  Standing over the first drive and first putt feeling like I have hit the shot before that day. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »
If it's a low-pressure round with friends/teammates, I'm usually pretty relaxed from the get-go.  But in tournaments, I relax after I've hit at least one good tee shot, one good approach, and one good putt (now, if only I could do all three of those on the first hole...).

GCA-wise, an inviting opening tee shot and pleasant first-tee atmosphere help a lot.  The first tees at the Cascades and the Old White come to mind most of all.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back