News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: Worst GCA Photo Contest
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
I would be willing to make a substantial wager that you can't beat this little gem.

While I don't think it beats it, this one of Forrest Richardson's is pretty close......

http://www.golfgroupltd.com/images/projects/large_imgs/las_palomas-11.jpg
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
This topic and thread rocks!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
On island greens

"The concept has no recovery unless the island is expanded beyond the green perimeter – although even that is still semantics to me. I’ve played a couple of these and when the wind howls it becomes ridiculous. Every shot is either hit or miss the island – not long on options is it? Think about this, the approach shot is a forced carry. The approach shot has no safe play or alternative route to reach the green surface by skirting around trouble. A player could easily find themselves in a position where they can not finish the hole and potentially the round!" Ian Andrew, emphasis is Ian's.

Thank you Ian!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Elvins

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 04:37:56 AM »

Well that stops people hitting it in the houses.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jim Colton

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »

Ron Whitten: "It's so good, it's going to host the 2009 Solheim Cup."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »

That one must be Rich Harvest YUCK
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
Island green what a concept!?!?

We have all seen an island green sitting in the middle of a body of water.

How about an island green sitting in the middle of a body of that infamous 3-dimensional hazard, the tree. You have to admit, it has one leg up on water which only is two dimensional.  ::)  :o

Chris Buie

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
Here is the little charmer from Mr. Stamm.   Nothing revitalizes the spirit quite like a green that resembles an Excel spreadsheet.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:41:14 AM by Chris Buie »

Brian Joines

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

That one must be Rich Harvest YUCK

Is the fairway to the right the target? I don't think I've ever tee shot that narrow that also requires a longish carry over waist high grass. yuck

Jim Franklin

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Tim -

Where did you find that "gem"?
Mr Hurricane

JNC Lyon

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »

WINNER!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Fred Yanni

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
It looks like a great picture of a nearby backyard.  Its just far enough away that you can see the course but won't be bothered by the players.

David_Elvins

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »
330 yard par 4.  Its like playing golf under a roof. that buzzes.  Never played this course without hitting the powerlines on either my tee shot or approach. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
Wow. The power company clears the land. You just grass it and viola! golf course! Just need a ferry system to bring people back from the 18th green. Maybe a chair lift hung from the power poles. ;)

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
330 yard par 4.  Its like playing golf under a roof. that buzzes.  Never played this course without hitting the powerlines on either my tee shot or approach. 

You forgot to mention the 'Great Wall of Mulch' that runs down the right side. Apparently, it can be seen from space.  ::)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
I apologize I don't have it, but the photo of the Rees Jones circular bunkers down an entire fairway with water on the other side (I believe) has to be a contender.  Any help please? 

David_Elvins

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
with help from google. 

Matt Day

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
with help from google. 

David
is that top photo Desert Pines in Vegas?

David_Elvins

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »
Not sure Matt, I just put "great golf course" into google.  But I think it is in vegas so you are probably right. 

Matt Day

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 04:16:10 AM »
Not sure Matt, I just put "great golf course" into google.  But I think it is in vegas so you are probably right. 
I think it could be, I played Desert Pines and those bunkers surely couldn't have been replicated anywhere else in the US??? Love the golf cart tunnel in the background as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back