News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Vegas public golf?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
The really fun holes at Oasis are in the middle of the ocurse with the dunes. The original 1st used to be a long uphill par-5 that was changed to accomodate the clubhouse area. The 3rd is a first rate par-4 -- gets little attention.

Ken:

Thanks for the info -- with the past buzz on the PGA creating a similar venture to what they did at Port St Lucie clearly the economy and the abysmal golf market has driven that decision. Wonder how that will impact any future Nicklaus courses there beyond the original.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
Since we are on the subject, is Shadow Creek open and is it worth the price? What are they charging these days?
What about Cascata?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »
Tim:

If you've got about $500 and can stay the night at the respective properties then go for it.

I see both as overpriced layouts -- Shadow has worked the PR front so well and it sediuces people to play it.

You have better options that are nearby and can produce the same effect -- several of which have already been
mentioned. I'd be sure to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite -- the Indiana Jones golf layout -- never a dull moment !

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
Tim...

I've played Shadow Creek and Cascata.  Last time I played them (this past March), Shadow Creek was $500 and Cascata was $400.

I personally think if you can stomach the expense, Shadow Creek is worth playing.  Some of the holes are pretty good and the experience is pretty neat.

Cascata is a trip.  The clubhouse with the river running through it is cool.  The course is okay.  I don't really know if it is worth the price, but again if the cost doesn't bother you...check it out.  It is fun golf with an over-the-top luxury experience, but the course isn't the greatest.

Both of the courses are over-priced, but I find everything in Vegas is by a factor of about 100%. 

I think Paiute Wolf is worth the money...maybe $100ish per round.

And I haven't played Wolf Creek, but I'll bet anything Matt W. is correct and the course is a trip.  However, I think it is really a ball-buster...so unless you are at least a mid-handcapper...beware.  Matt, do you agree?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
And I haven't played Wolf Creek, but I'll bet anything Matt W. is correct and the course is a trip.  However, I think it is really a ball-buster...so unless you are at least a mid-handcapper...beware.  Matt, do you agree?

Not if you know your limitations and play the right tees, pardner. :)

Seriously, it's not overly difficult, and it is very playable, even for the lesser golfer. The only warning I'd give is if someone has a fear of heights, he might want to try other options.

Off to look at Stewart's pix...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
I personally have felt for some time that Vegas must be on of the worst places to be a public golfer. There's not really a shortage of courses, though the vast majority seem to have a lot more flash than substance, but the real issue is the price point. At least in Arizona I can play nearly any public access course for a reasonable rate in the summer if I am willing to brave the heat--it's just as hot in vegas but the nature of the city keeps the prices from coming down as severely.

Typically when visiting I think, "I should play golf when I'm there!" And then spend a few minutes researching options and remember why I almost never do.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Mac:

Head to Mesquite and play Wolf Creek -- make up your own mind. Wolf Creek is not for the classic types who favor golf to be presented in such a narrow manner. Wolf Creek is, as I have said numerous times, like spicey Thai food. Many people can't handle more than steak and potato golf -- Wolf Creek provides a good bit excitement.

Mac, Wolf Creek is not for people who can't anything more than a usual allotment of ground balls and whose motto is military golf (left/right/left) to the max. If a person is sporting a 15 or below handicap then I recommend trying the course at lease once.

And, as George has been so kind to say -- play the correcto tees pardner !

Matt:

Head a short distance east or west of Vegas and price point issue becomes less so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back