News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Re: Definitive List of Fast and Firm Courses in the US
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
Bethpage Red is playing firm and fast right now and would say it typically does.

Gardiner's Bay on Shelter Island, NY will play firm and fast. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
Monroe, La Muni plays firm and fast. There was not a shot short of from the hay which I found in Scotland that was not mastered as a child there.BDCC my childhood CC was more like @0% FF and 80% softish

Doug Siebert

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »
Are there any requirements for quality of the course?

I could give you a bunch of unwatered Midwestern courses that play like blacktop in the summer.  I wouldn't send people on this site off to play them though.

Living in the midwest myself there are of course a few of these within a short distance (though it hasn't been consistently dry enough for more than a few years for them to really reach that crispy yellow grass "blacktop" state!)

They aren't architecturally interesting, but they are useful to visit prior to a trip to Scotland and Ireland!  I find it is also helpful sometimes for getting my game back when everything goes bad - well except putting, usually these courses will make bad putting worse so I don't try too hard on the greens so I don't worry about misses...  Just play a round barefoot, the courses are usually only 6000 yards so its all drives and wedges, with the wedges always really tough because you have a 35' diameter oasis of green you are trying to find, surrounded by concrete that will kick a ball landing near but not on the green 30 yards long on a 60 yard shot.  You either get your rhythm back or quit the game for a month or two out of frustration ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:17:43 AM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Andy Silis

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:58 PM »
Of the courses I have played this summer three exhibited ideal conditions of firm and fast:

Wine Valley
Kingsley Club
Sebonack

Wine Valley by a narrow nose over Kingsley Club as to who had the most playable and balanced set up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back