News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

Advice for club's first club championship & member-guest
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:37 AM »
Hello,

We are finally holding a club championship and member-guest tourneys at my club and I'd appreciate any advice on making it as successful and well attended as possible.

Thanks,

Scott

A.G._Crockett

Re: Advice for club's first club championship & member-guest
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:48:11 AM »
For the club championship:
Make sure the course is well-marked; hazard lines, GUR, etc.  Give lots of thought to the setup (two days?) in terms of pin positions, etc.; don't go overboard in either direction with your setup.

If you are playing in flights, keep the handicap ranges pretty tight.  Don't have a 5 and a 12 in the same flight; one or the other is going to be pissed at the end, and with good reason.  Alternatively, you might consider letting players sign up for which set of tees they wish to play, with the club champion coming only from the flight that plays the back tees.

Have the pro work the first tee, going over the rules, giving out scorecards, pin sheets, etc.  It's a big event, and he should be there rather than the regular starter.

Don't expect pace of play to be very good; few of your golfers play stroke play tournaments during the year.  It just takes longer.

Give lots of prizes (1-2-3 Low Gross and Low Net, multiple flights, whatever).  Prizes don't have to be much, but lots of people should leave feeling like they were competitive and were rewarded for doing something good.

Take pictures and publicize the results in newsletter, on the website, in emails, whatever.  Make the membership feel like it is a big deal.

For the Member-Guest:
I never play in these; too much money, and too much sandbagging (or rumors of sandbagging).  So no advice from me on this.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »
A couple of the better ones I've been to make sure that a group plays with as many other groups as possible...9 hole matches are popular.

Many give out a tee prize...anything from shirts, hats, shoes to logo'd golf bags.

Otherwise it doesn't take much to have a good time other than a whole lot of golf, drinks, and good people.
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:35 AM »

Scott

Depending upon the club, why not try making it a Family Affair, by pairing up Father Son;  Husband/Wife; Mother/Daughter or any combo. Bring the Family together sets the tone of the club and if successful attracts even more families to the proceedings. Remembering to off activities to the non- golfers too.

You have the option to promote Hickory Golf, which is starting to gain a lot more interest in many golfing circles over here hence the new monthly Hickory Blog – its putting back the fun and challenge into golf without the need of distance aids etc.

As I said it depends upon the club, but its always fun for all to dress up certainly the Ladies and daughters which brings them into the celebrations of the game making it a fun day out for ALL.

Perhaps mix both Hickory with mixed Family teams in costume of the day, prizes for the winners and for best costume etc.

Melvyn

DBE

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
Club championship, if the course is difficult, would be better using match play.  Flights may be based on handicaps, though Championship or First Flight could have stroke play qualifying.

Member Guests, in order to bring different guests, should limit (any member) bringing the guest in consecutive years.  The advantages are more guests are introduced and the same guest cannot win in consecutive years.  This might seem somewhat harsh but, its something that SFGC does and enjoys and other clubs have followed suit.

Only my opinions...

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
Make sure the member guest is played at match play.  A calcutta is fun, but you better be pretty strict about handicap policing of both members and guests. 5 9-hole matches by flights followed by some sort of playoff.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:42:41 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:38 AM »
Make sure the member guest is played at Match play.  A calcutta is fun, but you better pretty strict about handicap policing of both members and guests. 5 9-hole matches by flights followed by some sort of playoff.

The "playoff" (usually some sort of sudden death match) is always a great time, for the people playing, and for others following with drinks.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »

Scott

Depending upon the club, why not try making it a Family Affair, by pairing up Father Son;  Husband/Wife; Mother/Daughter or any combo. Bring the Family together sets the tone of the club and if successful attracts even more families to the proceedings. Remembering to off activities to the non- golfers too.

You have the option to promote Hickory Golf, which is starting to gain a lot more interest in many golfing circles over here hence the new monthly Hickory Blog – its putting back the fun and challenge into golf without the need of distance aids etc.

As I said it depends upon the club, but its always fun for all to dress up certainly the Ladies and daughters which brings them into the celebrations of the game making it a fun day out for ALL.

Perhaps mix both Hickory with mixed Family teams in costume of the day, prizes for the winners and for best costume etc.

Melvyn

That sounds more "renaissance fair" than "member-guest"

http://www.renfair.com/bristol
H.P.S.

David Whitmer

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »
I ran these tournaments for 10 years, and I learned the hard way that it is better to make the hole locations as easy as possible. Guys are usually nervous playing in tournaments, and the last thing you want to do is make the golf course tougher for everybody.

Mark the golf course very well, make the hole locations easy, and on the first tee really try to impress upon the players to keep up their pace of play. And make sure the entire staff knows what's going on tomorrow...when a guy finishes and asks "What time do tee times in my flight start tomorrow?" as he's turning in his scorecard, the staff needs to be able to answer him right then and there.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
Our club championship has a great format. 36-hole stroke play qualifier (which has its own trophy and name) followed by flighted match play based on the results.

Our member guest is 3 days, flights are arranged by combined handicap. The format is better ball first two days, on day 3 both balls count. It can be a grind on day 3 after a lot of "fun" on the previous nights. Our event is a little over the top with the social side of the equation. There is a stag night Wednesday, a seafood extravaganza on Friday with long-drive contest and a black-tie affair on Saturday...too much in my opinion. I'd prefer a stag night and a closing party without the tux and just beers and cards following the other days. WHatever you do, give people lots of options to bet on teams, within their flights, etc. Gambling is the most exciting part of a member guest for 60% of the participants.

I have also played in events with 5 or 6 9-hole matches with flight winners playing in a shootout. I have never made the shootout, but the format is fun because you play with everyone in your flight. I'd like to see us alternate formats each year in our event.

Have fun and good luck!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Mem/guest - keep to 2 days max.....that includes the practise day. Golfers are fed up, tired, hungover, away from family/work for one day too long otherwise. Set the course up easily. Forget the mandatory shirt/windbreaker/hat tee gifts! Everyone already has these and they never come in the right sizes anyway. A total waste of money - put toward better food.

Club Champs - although I am an advocate of strokeplay....this can cause embarrassment due to the handicap system. At my old club we had 10/15 "scratch" golfers and nobody broke 80 in two days because this was actually the only strokeplay event they played for the year!!!!!! Stick to matchplay and again two days max.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
I'm not a big fan of multi-day member guests so I'lll leave that one one alone.

IMO the club championship is, or should be, the big event of the year, A celebration of the club and what it is there for- golf played the right way.
 I  agree with Dave Whitmer- keep the hole locations reasonable. Do not leave them solely to the discretion of the golf professional or the superintendent (you don't need a six man committee, either.) You are not running a tour event.
 I like match play for the championship, though that might take two weekends, which can be a logistical problem- I have dropped out of more than one CC because two weekends in a row was just impossible. But 16 man flights are the minimum (IMO)and that means four rounds of matches. MAke the final 18 holes; 36 is unnecessary at this level.
 IF you have both stroke play and match play events, designate the match play as the club championship.
The course should be marked correctly- no laterals that are not water hazards, no ground under repair just because the area is a little bare or brown. You may be able to consult your regional golf association. Get a copy of the USGA's "How To Conduct A Competition" if your club does not already have a copy

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »
Our club championship is determined the following way: anyone can attempt to qualify with an 18 hole score from the tips. Then the low 7 scores and the reigning club champion are seeded for match play with the championship played on Labor Day.

We do a very similar thing...except 16 make the match play.  The final is 36 holes the final day.

For the member guest I'd agree with the 9 hole match format by flight.

David Egan

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »
Our club championship is determined the following way: anyone can attempt to qualify with an 18 hole score from the tips. Then the low 7 scores and the reigning club champion are seeded for match play with the championship played on Labor Day.

My club does the same thing except that we cut to low 15 plus the defending champ.  It's always over Labor Day weekend and runs like this - medal qualifying on Saturday morning, first round of matches on Saturday afternoon, quarterfinal and semifinal  matches on Sunday,  and 36 hole final on Monday.  The medal round takes forever since we always have a lot of guys who try (this year it was 52) and everyone slows way down when they have to hole everything out. But, once we cut it down, the matches go very quickly. I don't think any of my matches lasted more than 3 hours.  It's really a great event and gets phenomenal participation both on the player and spectator side.

Fred Gray

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Having played in many member guests, I know what I like.

Practice day Thursday, 3 9 hole matches Friday, 2 nine hole matches Saturday, shootout to follow. Party and awards to follow Saturday night.

Small flights (4 or 6 teams) If 4 then all teams play on the first day and on the second day by standings 1v4 and 1v2.

Shootout is all flight winners plus wildcards of the highest remaining point winners. All teams playing same hole with one team eliminated per hole. Keeping everyone together is a bit of a zoo but it keeps the crowd following together which is more fun. Note: Drink cart should also follow shootout.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
I  would suggest using perhaps three previous comps as qualifiers for the Club Championship.  Maybe top 5 in each comp (going down further places if someone already qualified) plus last years winner makes it to matchplay.  The first two rounds of matchplay are arranged at the convience of the players, but with each match having a deadline to be played by.  The semis and finals to be played over a weekend near end of summer or even in September.  Hopefully, concurrent knockout finals and perhaps another comp could be run the same weekend (weepers sort of thing) - including women and juniors.  It sets a good tone for a championship golf weekend and encourages folks to come down to watch because so many different comps are on.  Its a real club bonding time taht I ahve seem work very well previously.

Using comps spread out over time gives more people a chance at qualifying rather than all the eggs in one basket sort of deal. This is especially troublesome once school gets out and folks can't commit to several days of golf on the trot etc.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
Our club championship is pretty simple -- 18 hole qualifier, top 15 plus defending champion are seeded into match play. Lots of self-selection for the qualifier--pretty rare to have more than 30 guys play.

Our Member-Guest is tons of fun, though a significant commitment of time. Weds afternoon is an optional practice round (followed by a stag dinner). For the actual event, six-team groups are flighted by combined handicaps. 5 nine-hole round-robin matches are played, after which the groups get seeded for the sixth nine-hole match (with 1 v 2, 3 v 4, etc. playing). Winner of each flight then plays in a shootout. For Thurs and Fri the field is split so that half the field plays Thursday morning and Friday afternoon, with the other half playing Thurs afternoon and Fri morning. That keeps play moving nicely and let's people spend parts of Thursday and Friday in the office if they need. Saturday is slow, but you know that going in. Lots of people seem to
consider it one of the more enjoyable member-guests in the area.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
This is a bit off the beaten path, but make sure you post results of all flights somewhere in the clubhouse for all to see.  I want to know how my friends are doing, others, etc.  Big scoreboards are nice.  We played low 16 HC's in championship flight.  One match Friday pm, two matches on Sat., final Sun. 18 hole.  Guaranteed two matches, Consolation flight, etc.  We also allow those who don't have a match on Sunday to play an 18 hole stroke event.  That keeps everyone around for the entire Tourney.   

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »

IMO the club championship is, or should be, the big event of the year, A celebration of the club and what it is there for- golf played the right way.

Absolutely right.

One thing I didn't see mentioned previously.If you've got members who are involved in city or state golf associations,ask them to act as referees or rules officials.Make the tournament players feel as though they're playing in a USGA championship.Use pie-chart hole location sheets instead of the usual stuff.Have a starter's table on the first tee with a local rules sheet.

Most important thing,get as many members possible out there to watch.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »
Our club championship is pretty simple -- 18 hole qualifier, top 15 plus defending champion are seeded into match play. Lots of self-selection for the qualifier--pretty rare to have more than 30 guys play.

Our Member-Guest is tons of fun, though a significant commitment of time. Weds afternoon is an optional practice round (followed by a stag dinner). For the actual event, six-team groups are flighted by combined handicaps. 5 nine-hole round-robin matches are played, after which the groups get seeded for the sixth nine-hole match (with 1 v 2, 3 v 4, etc. playing). Winner of each flight then plays in a shootout. For Thurs and Fri the field is split so that half the field plays Thursday morning and Friday afternoon, with the other half playing Thurs afternoon and Fri morning. That keeps play moving nicely and let's people spend parts of Thursday and Friday in the office if they need. Saturday is slow, but you know that going in. Lots of people seem to
consider it one of the more enjoyable member-guests in the area.

Carl, do you get any griping from the 4,5,6 seeds in for the 6th match?  Essentially, they've already played crappy golf for two days, do they really want to play nine more holes that don't mean anything?  Also, if a calcutta is running, wouldn't the 4th seed have have a vested interest in tanking if they own any part of the third seed, lapping the 1 & 2 seed?

Scott_Park

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Its been a year and we will be having our second club championship.  One item being debated is the eligibility for the tourney. 

We can mostly agree that dues paying members are eligible, but what about junior players or a dues paying mini-tour player.

Thanks,

Scott

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
Its been a year and we will be having our second club championship.  One item being debated is the eligibility for the tourney. 

We can mostly agree that dues paying members are eligible, but what about junior players or a dues paying mini-tour player.

Thanks,

Scott

Every club in the world has had the junior eligibility argument.My $.02--if they're good enough,let them play.The guys usually arguing against the juniors are afraid that they'll get embarrassed.

Personally,I'd probably be opposed to a guy who plays for a living being in the club championship unless it was at a place like Whisper Rock with that type membership culture.

I can't believe the mini-tour guy really wants to play.He's supposed to be able to beat everyone--what would he have to gain?

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

Thanks,

Scott

Every club in the world has had the junior eligibility argument.My $.02--if they're good enough,let them play.The guys usually arguing against the juniors are afraid that they'll get embarrassed.

Personally,I'd probably be opposed to a guy who plays for a living being in the club championship unless it was at a place like Whisper Rock with that type membership culture.

I can't believe the mini-tour guy really wants to play.He's supposed to be able to beat everyone--what would he have to gain?

It's the Club CHAMPIONSHIP.
Why exclude a member?
Do you want to win because a player was excluded?(making it the" Club Championship minus the mini tour guy")
You are right though, the pressure would be on the mini-tour player.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
Personally, I would allow late sign up for juniors (or for the qualifiers).  The full members should be given ample time to sign up before lesser categories get their opportunity.  So far as the mini-tour pro, club champs are usually amateur events.  I am not sure why a pro would want to enter a club championship.  If he wanting to do that he is shouldn't be a pro. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
MemberGuest- Plenty of good food and plenty of gambling is the key to a successful event. The course doesn`t need to be set up any different than for member play. There is no reason to torture players with crazy pins and over the top green speeds. On the gambling side there are a ton of options including hat pools,calcuttas,paramutuals,skins,sunday money,kickers etc. Finally make sure that there is access to beer during the golf and you have a winner. It`s as much a social event as it is a golf event.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:41:10 PM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back