News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Buda. The Rules of Engagement.
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
Sean, US index 13.3.  Scott is working on CONGU conversion.

Yes to Sunday lunch for Joe and Bill.  Hopefully no ties...........

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 11:47:21 AM »
Captain Whitaker:

My GHIN index is 11.2

Thanks,

Eric

James Boon

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
Captain Muldoon,

I was hoping I was too young to sound like an old traditionalist but... Whats wrong with keeping it to the simple format of singles, fourballs and foursomes, played to a simple won / half / loss format?

Now this is my first Buda and so I'm happy to go with whatever is put in front of us, but as you are asking for opinions...   ::) Chapman sounds like the lovechild of foursomes and greensomes that turns out to be neithers favourite?  ;D Actually I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but as Mark has said it certainly has the potential to be pretty slow for the first couple of shots? Perhaps if we wanted to mix things up a bit more than just simple Foursomes we could play Greensomes? That way, everybody gets to tee of on every hole, but then its alternate shots from then on?

My handicap is 6 (5.6 exact) but I'm sure if I'd had to hand in my last 20 scores it would be quite a bit higher so perhaps Scott could convert us all the other way?  ;D

Cheers,

James

ps It would be a massive understatement to say I can't wait to meet a bunch of you down at Burnham and then for the main event to kick off in Wales. So excited!
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
Joe Buehler says 7.4.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
Please post your handicap so we can update the list below. Thanks!!!

HANDICAPS:

TEAM USA
The Yank Arble 7.9 CONGU
Drinkin Joe Bueler 7.4 USGA Index
Craig Disher
Sweet Lou Duran
John Tucky Mayhugh
Ace McBride 13.3 USGA Index
Ward Peyronnin
Eric Smith 11.2 USGA Index
Jason Topp
Whitty Whitaker  6.3 USGA Index

TEAM GB&I
James Boon  5.6 CONGU
Conrad Gamble
The African Animal Gawith
Robin Hiseman
Andy Levett
Peter Mallalieu
Spangles Muldoon
Mark Pearce
Lorne Smith
Ben Stephens
Ally McIntosh
Richard Muldoon
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
Mark Pearce:

I've played Chapman.  It was called something else, I think, but that's what it was.  My memory of it is that it was slow.  Without wanting to rain on anyone's parade (and I'll play whatever people decide and enjoy and compete) if we're palying a 4ball course (which I think Porthcawl is on the Friday), with fourballs in front of us (which there will be), what's wrong with playing fourballs?

It is often called "Pinehurst Alternate Shot" and is a quickly played format... much quicker than fourball because there are not as many shots being taken. But, there are enough opportunites to hit shots that everyone feels "satisfied." This is not always the case in foresomes, especially for Americans who rarely play that game.

I should point out that in my book there are three forms of golf.  Singles, foursomes and fourballs.  Each can be played in medal or match play.  I've never really found a variant of any of those which is as much fun as they are.

How sad for you.  :'(

I've also played a number of matches where total hole count is kept, rather than just win/half/loss.  Indeed I once played in a fourball match which we won 15 up (lost the first, won the next 16, halved 18).  Again, call me a boring traditionalist but I'd be strongly in favour of just win/loss/half.  Not least to keep the math straightforward.  

So... your match would have been over on the 11th hole and you could have just walked in from there. How exciting! At least your competitors had the opportunity to redeem themselves on the last seven holes.  Sorry they couldn't pull it off and you had to suffer such a massive win. Pity.

As a former BUDA captain I reckon you two will be busy enough trying to sort out pairings, work out where people are and keep the thing moving without having to do unnecessary maths.  I also reckon that we're more likely to have a match still "live" on the Sunday with win/half/loss.

Thank you for your concern about our organizational skills, however, I don't think it will be too taxing. We already have a plan for pairings... you are going to be paired with Melvyn each session. Damn, I let the cat out of the bag!!! That was supposed to be a secret!

I guess what I'm saying is that BUDA has worked brilliantly for several years.  If it ain't bust, why fix it?

No one is suggesting that it is "bust." Just that a little tweak never hurt anything. I know it's hard for you Brits to break with tradition but, if memory serves me right, Team USA (or ROW) has lost EVERY Buda Cup. Since the Yanks are the ones who travel thousands of miles each year to participate in this event it might prove sporting to throw us a bone and incorporate a few of our ideas into the mix.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
We've never won, not even once?  Didn't we win at Lundin Links? 

Oh well, did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no we didn't!

I think one round of Chapman would be a pleasant diversion, and couldn't take any longer than a four ball better ball game.

I don't have a strong feeling either way about the scoring format.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
Spangles & Whitty

For the guys staying over night for a game on Sunday, I would suggest switching around to singles in the AM and 4somes in the PM.  

Sean,

I like the idea of playing Singles on Sunday morning. Tony and I were under the impression that you were concerned about pace of play on Sunday morning and we scheduled foursomes so things would move quicker. If that is not the issue, I vote we play Singles on Sunday morning and either foresomes or fourball in the afternoon.

Cheers!

Whit

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »
I don't know, I think its good to change stuff up and try the odd thing or two each year.  Besides, if someone wants to volunteer to be a captain, they should be granted the right to put their own spin on it so long as they are within reason.  I don't think Whitty & Spangles are out in left field with their ideas.  Chapman or some version thereof sounds like it is worth a go to me. I also don't mind the point a hole deal.  The best players are identified and its not as if folks are gonna walk in if the traditional match ended on the 15th or whatever.  

To be honest, I am surprised we have been consulted!  After having my two cents in the private run-up I assumed they we gonna announce the deal and that was that.

Whitty

I spoke with the pro and since our numbers are reduced and I promised that any slow groups would allow those behind to go through he said it wasn't a problem to play 4 balls. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:47:30 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
I don't have a strong feeling either way about the scoring format.

Me either. A win is a win.. any way you count it!  ;)

James Boon

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »

No one is suggesting that it is "bust." Just that a little tweak never hurt anything. I know it's hard for you Brits to break with tradition but, if memory serves me right, Team USA (or ROW) has lost EVERY Buda Cup. Since the Yanks are the ones who travel thousands of miles each year to participate in this event it might prove sporting to throw us a bone and incorporate a few of our ideas into the mix.

Mike,

Part of me wants to say "When in Rome"  ;D but in all honesty it certainly seems logical and fair to let you guys have a bit of a say, as without you guys travelling all the way over here, Buda wouldn't be what it is (or I hope it is at least!) I can't speak for Mark, but I'll take back my old fashioned traditionlist stance, and go with the Chapman and scoring format suggested...

Cheers,

James

ps I was going to add that we can take more satisfaction beating you having thrown you a bone but that would be cocky and arrogant and not very British of me?  ;D
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
GHIN index 8.8
Lunch at Pennard on Sunday - in

Format - as long as it's not a scramble, I'll survive. 

Ben Stephens

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
Oh God! Boony is closing in to my handicap! I am off 5.3 CONGU.

I am up for the Chapman format - my god I have to feel for whoever is paired with me that will have to find the ball in the wild as Boony would testify!  ;D

Would a point a hole be better if it was for a one off match rather than affect the whole BUDA points system (like the Ryder Cup) which is based on the number of wins/draw/losses  

Cheers
Ben

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »

I am up for the Chapman format - my god I have to feel for whoever is paired with me that will have to find the ball in the wild as Boony would testify!  ;D

Wouldn't the Chapman formula therefore be preferable, as your partner might get one in play?   ??? ;D ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
Mike,

If you don't want opinions, why ask for them?  Like I said, I'll do whatever people decide and enjoy it.

Bill,

Yes, you're right.  Lundin and Elie was a US landslide.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Congu 7.7
Yes to the Sunday lunch

Richard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »
Mike,

If you don't want opinions, why ask for them?  Like I said, I'll do whatever people decide and enjoy it.

Bill,

Yes, you're right.  Lundin and Elie was a US landslide.

Mark, he appreciates your opinion, he just doesn't agree with it!   ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »
he just doesn't agree with it!   ;D

That much is clear.

CONGU 12.3
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
Captain Whitaker:

My GHIN index is 11.2

Thanks,

Eric

11.2?  I have placed a call to Ladbrokes to bet my house on your first match regardless of opponent.   Please show up.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
4.6 GHIN 5 at most us courses

Scott says I am a 6 under the other system.

Eric Smith

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »

11.2?  I have placed a call to Ladbrokes to bet my house on your first match regardless of opponent.   Please show up.

Bogey

Mike,

Like I told you this afternoon, the guys I played with on a recent trip would love to take your bet, I am 100% certain.  Hell I only finished about half of the holes I played out there... :P

But I am bringing MY irons on this one, so that should help me to get my mojo back.  

Wish you were going with us!

Eric

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »
Mike,

If you don't want opinions, why ask for them?

Mark - Because Tony said it was the "proper" thing to do. While he's off to Scotland he asked me to start the chatter about the formats and handicaps. I didn't expect you to give in so easily!  ;D 

Seriously, anything you guys want to do will be fine with us. It seems there is some acceptance of trying the Chapman format, so we might give it try and see how it goes over. We just don't want to "ruin" someone's trip because we forced them to play a format that they don't like. I remember last year that Tiger Bernhardt was not too happy about having to play foresomes... which is a common reaction among Americans as we almost never play that format over here. Chapman tends to be a good compromise as it's a little bit of fourball mixed with a little alternate shot.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 01:40:06 AM »

Wouldn't the Chapman formula therefore be preferable, as your partner might get one in play?   ??? ;D ;D

Bill,

If it was Boony it would be on the fairway 90% compared with my 40%. The downside is that I would be using 2/3 clubs more off the fairway than I would out of the rough with my drive  :o

Cheers
Ben

James Boon

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:26 AM »
Ben,

1. I think the banter should be aimed at the opposition not your team mates?
2. Any more short hitting jokes from you and you can walk to Wales  ;D

Cheers,

James

ps To counter Captain Whitaker's avatar I couldn't find a "Rest of the World" flag without the stars and stripes, so as its a Ryder Cup year...

Sean_A

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 03:52:06 AM »
Boony

Have you no pride?  Euros indeed.  If one bothered to sign up I could understand your plea for their inclusion.  But to claim a continent without proper representation smacks of colonialism - you dirty British pig (how is that for a slagging? - tee hee).  I say (and have officially said) the home side is GB&I as there are no particpants on the squad without citizenship of GB&I.  Witness that Spangles is Captain of GB&I!  

GB&I TEAM Captain: Spangles Muldoon

J Boon: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
C Gamble: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
The African Animal Gawith:36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; No Golf Sunday
Doc Hiseman: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
A Levett: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
P Mallalieu: 18 Porthcawl PM; Pennard Saturday; No Golf Sunday
Richard "The Other" Muldoon: 36 Pennard Sunday ONLY
Spangles Muldoon: 36 Porthcawl; 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
M Pearce: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday
L Smith: 18 Porthcawl PM; Pennard Saturday; 18 Pennard Sunday AM
B Stephens: 36 Porthcawl; Pennard Saturday; 36 Pennard Sunday

This is old time golf: USA vs GB&I.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:21:09 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back