News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Re: Ballyneal Greens
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
At the BN lunch counter having coffee as we speak.  Played twice yesterday with another round coming up in an hour or so.  I had forgotten how much fun Tom's greens are at BN.  I still say the 7th green may be my favorite green of all of RGD's green.  I've never seen a saddle green fit so harmoniously into it's surroundings.  JC   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
JC admitted that after his first time around, years ago, he thought the 8th green was over the top. He then birdied the hole yesterday in a gale,(30mph+), with the upper right pin position.
When we were on #5, our balls were feet apart off the back. We were playing a match and were partners. I went first and chose to play the side board to get close (which I did) then, we decided he should try to play the internal contour, which he did, and put it even closer. Major grins all the way around.

The course looked and played absolutely fantastic. The turf has grown in to near perfection and the greens were likely the best I have ever seen them.
Dave Hensley has done a superlative job.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
Adam - was on 8 in two today and missed an eagle putt by an inch.  Doak makes holes too easy don't you think?  ;)

PS - all the girls are in love with you!

JC

Scott Szabo

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
Jim Colton is correct about he and I both getting up and down to that pin from opposite sides of the green.  I must admit his shot was much more difficult than mine.  I'm not saying my bunker shot was easy by any means, but his play from the collection area could have ended up almost anywhere if not played to perfection, which he did.  For those of you who have played with me can attest, my short game isn't all that good.  I do get lucky every once in a while!  I have been fortunate to play BN about 20 or so times now and see that pin position more times than I'd like (probably about half the time).  It is indeed about a half shot tougher with the pin there, but it is not over the top as has been suggested earlier.  BN gets more fun to play each and every time I go out.  I think it's playing EXACTLY as its architect would have hoped it would.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom_Doak

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
Scott:

I am hoping to see for myself the day after the Renaissance Cup in October.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
Is it at Common Ground this year?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »
Scott:

I am hoping to see for myself the day after the Renaissance Cup in October.

Would love to hear your thoughts after you get back out to play it.  Rigtht now it's playing surface is ideal, at least in my opinion.  If it's not playing as you had hoped, it would be interesting to know why.

By the way, If you need a fourth....  ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »
Adam - it's at Common Ground Oct 5-6.

Tom - agree with Scott.  BN is playing ideally.  I can't imagine you won't walk off 18 with a smile on your face.   It fires on all cylinders with a fun factor off the map.  RGD should be quite proud.

JC

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
I know this thread is about BN greens, but Common Ground is the course I miss the absolute MOST from Denver since moving.  So much fun, so many options that make you think, and the greens are amazing!!  Add on affordable to this list as well.  When I return for a visit, CG will be the first round that I book.

Can't wait to hear how the Renaissance Cup goes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back