News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Rockaway Hunt , Long Island, NY
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »
Tillighast  and  Emmet both did work on this interesting and Wind Blown layout. Some suggest Bendelow also did some early work  here  Does anyone know if  a club history exists that discusses the golf course's evolution  ?  thanks

Phil_the_Author

Re: Rockaway Hunt , Long Island, NY
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
Mark,

Give the club a call and ask.  ;D

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:01:09 AM »
Tillighast  and  Emmet both did work on this interesting and Wind Blown layout. Some suggest Bendelow also did some early work  here  Does anyone know if  a club history exists that discusses the golf course's evolution  ?  thanks

Good question. I don't know if a club history book exists or not. Based on the fact the club is so old (it was founded in 1878) you would think one must have been written at some point, understanding golf has not necessarily been the club's focus through all those years. Horace Hutchinson claimed he laid out a golf course for Rockaway on one of his early trips to America around 1890.

SBendelow

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
Mark,

Can't offer much on Rockaway Hunt's evolution, but here are a few references on the clubs course history.
     Outing Magazine - August 1899
     The Golfer Magazine - December 1898
     The Brooklyn Daliy Eagle - December 9, 1898,  page 12
     The Golf Guide of 1899,  page 214
      and Cronish & Whitten (either of the last two editions.

Good hunting.

SWB

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
Cornish & Whitten also mentioned Willie Dunn-Jr and Emmet prominently.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »
Mark:

Phil Young is right; the best thing to do and perhaps the first thing you should do is just contact the club and ask them if someone there could explain their architectural history to you.

There has been a contributor on this website, Chip Oat, who belongs to Rockaway Hunt or did and he's very good on architecture and may be able to help.

As far as Cornish and Whitten, some years ago I had a long talk with Mr. Cornish about how they researched and compiled their wonderful architecture history tome, and he said most of it was just constacting the clubs and getting them to provide it. I asked him if they got it wrong then his book would list it wrong and he said generally speaking of course that would be the case.

I remember Rockaway Hunt from the old days when I grew up on Long Island. The club had a very interesting and unique ethos and membership policy back then and maybe they still do in that they took in lots of playing members seemingly on a temporary basis who were guys sort of coming through the whole Wall Street and financial world in New York particularly if they were from other states or other countries and sort of passing through temporarily. The club was unique that way and we got to know a lot of those guys while they were around NYC before migrating out or back to wherever they came from or were going.

The club is very old and the bones of the course are too, I think, so it should be an interesting research subject for you.

And SBendelow offers some good leads via the old magazine articles he listed for you. If you can get your hands on those at least and present them to Rockaway Hunt it's certainly possible you may be showing them something about the history of their club or course they may not be that aware of at this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:00:38 AM by TEPaul »

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »

TEP is pretty spot on with the ethos of the club.  I was formerly a member and have already looked at the information in the 125th year club history, very different than I had been led to believe and will post more info when time permits.

mark chalfant

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
Thanks  very much for all the helpful suggestions.   RH  has a unique quality to its routing. Several  twists  and turns, several  fine holes.  Memorable walk,  almost poetic place to play   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back