News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

MPCC and Mr. Huntley
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
Just thought I would mention in this public forum how very much i enjoyed playing the incredibly beautiful Shore Course at MPCC yesterday.

There were many splendid attributes to the day...the GC is as gorgeous as an oil painting, and plays as F&F as anything I can ever recall stateside.  The weather was bluebird and shirtsleeve.....a 10% (or less) probability, according to many regulars I spoke with.

Lastly, Mr. Huntley was very gracious and informative during our time together.  Though he was only able to play about 10--12 holes off and on, owing to his recent physical setbacks, he was a great host, extremely congenial, and added greatly to the overall experience.

Thank you Bob--it was a real pleasure...and nice birdie (tee shot to 3 feet!) on #9!

Dan Grossman

Re: MPCC and Mr. Huntley
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:35:29 PM by Dan Grossman »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
Great to hear Bob is back and playing.  Miss you, Bob!!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »
Great to hear Bob is back and playing.  Miss you, Bob!!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »
Glad you got to enjoy MPCC Shore in Bob's company, Joel. Did he tell you that the Dunes is even better?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
Joel

I heard it was to a back pin too - nice......

Am glad to hear the recuperation is coming on well

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
Good to hear Bob is back up and playing more golf!
H.P.S.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
Yes---He did mention the Dunes Course was even better.

I would have to see that to believe it!   Perhaps someday in the future that opportunity will present itself...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Joel,
to play MPCC is an utter delight.
To play golf with Mr Huntley is a wonderful experience.
To play golf WITH Mr Huntley AT MPCC is surely one of life's very finest pleasures.
One which, for me, could only possibly be equalled by playing The Old Course with Mr H (and he knows that!). There's a day I wish for.
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
One which, for me, could only possibly be equalled by playing The Old Course with Mr H (and he knows that!). There's a day I wish for.
cheers,
FBD.

Martin,

Are you sure sure you could afford that experience; beware the Wolf! :D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »
Pete,

The Wolf morphed into a lamb, a puny one at that. Joel was very kind to put up with me but it was an enjoyable day nonetheless

Bob

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Bob:

Hello from Bette and Cary. Nice to hear you are getting around. Can't say the same for me, I have hung em up for good after 2 back surgeries

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
Bob,
    It is great to hear you are out on the course again. A round with Bob anywhere is an opportunity not to be missed.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
Bob:

Hello from Bette and Cary. Nice to hear you are getting around. Can't say the same for me, I have hung em up for good after 2 back surgeries

Cary

I can't believe that's true............. :-[

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »
I was watching the PB Champion's tour for a while in hopes I might spot Sir Boab in the flesh, trailing along after one of the senior S.A.s.  Will you be walking about over there, Bob? 

Cary, I hope there is some relief in sight for that back situation.  I don't know if you've tried this, but I am using one of the invrersion tables, and am convinced it has helped me continue playing and so far avoiding the surgery.  Of course I realize that your particular problem may not benefit at all, but I wanted to mention it in case on a long shot it could help.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ash Towe

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
Joel,
Thanks for the update and good news.

Bob,
Glad to see you are posting again.  You must be feeling better :).

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
Cary,

I am sorry to hear it but I can well understand your feelings about going on. My enthusiasm for the game is diminished as I cannot walk 18 holes and the rotten shots out-number the good ones at about a 3 to 1 ratio. However, when I think of gardening and planting pansies I convince myself that I need the fresh air and the companionship of the guys still ambulatory.

Ashe, Ed, Rj, thanks for your thoughts, I hope to see you soon.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
Bob, if the walking gets too tough, try my plan when my hip ache flares up:  Be the passenger in a cart and walk as much or little as you feel  as the pain allows.

You also get a chauffeur / caddy in the bargain!

Glad you are better and back on the course. And hopefully winning those Wolf games.  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
Bob,

I went through the same phase you're going through.

One of the things that kept my interest was that I created games within the game.

Hooking a long iron to access the right side opening on a 150 yard shot became a challenge.
I made up sub-games, knowing that I couldn't score like I used to and that I needed to use a building block approach in terms of enjoyment and scoring.

Slowly but surely, I made progress.

And, so will you.

Just swing within yourself, use your imagination and enjoy the course and people you're with.

Every day on the golf course is infinitely better than any day in the hospital. ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
Glad you are better and back on the course. And hopefully winning those Wolf games.  ;D

Has anyone from GCA ever taken money from Bob in a game of Wolf ?

He got me  :D

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
Bob:

Pat's suggestion is similar to something I did some time ago (my problem was not so threatening, but the solution still helped greatly).  Honestly, you're one of the GCA participants I most want to meet.  Please continue to get out and use all available "games" to keep it interesting.

Jamey

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Glad you are better and back on the course. And hopefully winning those Wolf games.  ;D

He got me  :D

I am thankful that there are 18 holes on the Shore, as I rallied the last few holes to "lose less" if that makes sense ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
Please do not let Bob fool you. We played together a few weeks ago. He was more of an 80% good and 20% forgetable. He had so many good shots,  I cannot count them all. I asked him if he had a putting green in the hospital and house after about 5 holes of watching him drain putts. lol I think we were one under at the turn best ball and not more than a 4 or so over for the day.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Please do not let Bob fool you. We played together a few weeks ago. He was more of an 80% good and 20% forgetable. He had so many good shots,  I cannot count them all. I asked him if he had a putting green in the hospital and house after about 5 holes of watching him drain putts. lol I think we were one under at the turn best ball and not more than a 4 or so over for the day.

So that's where you've been!   ;D

Dan King

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Kevin Pallier writes

I remember one time I didn't lose to him. Bob & I were the winners and the other two had to pay us. The money didn't come out of Bob's pocket, but neither did it come out of mine.

That's the highlight reel of my competition with Mr. Huntley.

Glad you are doing well Mr. Huntley.

Cheers,
Dan King
I think there's a difference between a gamble and a calculated risk.
 --Edmund H. North

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back