News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Peterson

I played Hammock Beach Ocean course last summer.  I thought I would share some pictures.  

The course is built in the middle of a large resort and housing development that is not complete.  It was firm with a touch of brown (last June) and played bouncy for Florida.  The development doesn't really come into play, but is quite prominent on most of the holes.  It is only going to get worse as it fills in.  There are a number of holes in the middle of each nine that will not have building on them.  I liked the course.  It has some variety in holes and a few really good one.  The development was overpowering in many parts which was disappointing, and it seemed like there was a lot of ocean front property that was not used.  It may of been set aside for future development, but at the time of my visit had no housing or golf on it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:57:51 PM by Will Peterson »

Ted Cahill

Re: Hammock Beach Ocean Course - Palm Coast, FL with pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:30:05 AM »
Thanks for the pics- I have always been curious to play this course. Looks like standard FL golf- but I imagine that the ocean provides a challenging breeze.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Will Peterson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Ted - The ocean does provide an extra challenge with the winds, but it also makes playing it in June a lot more enjoyable.

I would say that it is better than the average Florida course.  I thought there were some really good holes.  I liked the par 3's on the back 9 especially along with 15, a really tough long par 4 playing back to the ocean.  I felt many of the holes made you think a little more than the average Florida course and it had a little more variety.  It may be a little expensive during season, but its worth a trip in the summer.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:16:28 PM by Will Peterson »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
I visited the resort a few years back with fellow GCA'er Harris Nepon and we had a really good time.  Great accommodations and two decent tracks when you include The Conservatory.

PS to Will:
I think that long tough par 4 you were talking about is #15 - the 16th is the cape hole that plays back away from the ocean with #17 being the par three coming back.  The 15th is easily my favourite on the course - excellent golf hole.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
As mentioned, Matt and I visited this resort a few years ago. I was not a fan of the Ocean course. i found the majority of it to be blah. However, the last 4 holes were the best on the course and very difficult.

The second course at the resort, about 15 min drive away which was weird, The Conservatory was much more fun to play IMO. Think it was a Tom Watson design and stretched to i think 7500 yards. Totally unplayable from that distance, but other tee decks were playable and more more enjoyable for me. I believe Matt like Ocean better and is the more experienced GCA'er so I'm probably in the minority at Conservatory.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
I have played there over 50x; I think it has some very good holes but as a course it lacks a flow.  The routing is messed up because of the housing development; 15-18 are pretty darn good and make it worth it for me. 

I like The Conservatory as well; it is the other course; but totally different, the wind can get crazy on both courses, I like that Conservatory typically plays very firm and fast.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
This course was much much better before all the developments went up at least from an aesthetic stand point. For Florida I think it's still a good golf course with the interior holes really standing out more since all the condos and houses went up. I will look for some pics from when the course just opened so you can see the differences. I used to play there a ton since my folks are 10 min away but now it's open to only hotel guets.

I still have not figured out how this place stays open by only allowing hotel guests. To say the palm coast area is not hurting is an understatement. The restaurant in the clubhouse is once again open to the public but as far as I know not the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back