News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Suggestions on Books...
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
Mac -

Best golf book nobody knows is Patric Dickinson's A Round of Golf Courses. (That's not a misspelling of his name.)

Let me say that differently. Dickinson's book is one of the best golf books ever written. It just happens not to be well known.

Bob

Bob ain't wrong.

Among the many books I cherish and which aren't mentioned

St Andrews The Evolution of the Old Course - Scott Macpherson

Classic Golf Links of GB&I - Donald Steel

There are others, but to a certain degree you have to find your own way.  If you do like the three I mentioned and want more suggestions give me a shout.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jay Carstens

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »
I have just started reading my first book my Herbert Warren Wind, "Following Through"

Mac Plumart- fyi, Herb Wind's New Yorker articles in "Following Through" are edited.  The complete versions are in the magazine.  Seems like there were several too that didn't make the book but also worth reading.  You might also enjoy "The Herbert Warren Wind Golf Book" (1971)

Just arrived: "Tom Morris of St Andrews The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908" by David Malcolm & Peter E. Crabtree. 
Play the course as you find it

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »
Ok...

last night I read the Oakmont portion on "Following Through".  WOW!!  I suppose he doesn't say much I didn't already know, but the way he said it really cemented in my noggin what Oakmont is all about.  Perhaps his writing really captures the essence of things.

Breaking news...this Herbert Warren Wind character sure could write!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
wait till you get to the pebble chapter!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mac Plumart

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
I can't wait!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
Remember where I live...abebooks.com.  I just ordered Following Through and A Round of Golf Courses for the princely sum of $7, shipping included.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCyrgalis

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Ron,

How is it possible that I have never seen abebooks.com referenced before?  I just order three books - The History of American Golf, Following Through, and Golf Dreams -- for less the $20.  I have a list of books, most of which have been referenced in this thread, that I've been wanting to order for some time but have struggled to convince myself were worth sacrificing food/rent for when ordering via amazon or the like.  This site has solved those problems.  Food, rent and the best golf writing ever -- does it get any better?  Thank you!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
It is capitalism at its best...a bunch of used book stores getting together under one umbrella, to sell their books to you at ridiculous prices and shipping charges...for example, you can get Tom Doak's Confidential Guide for $299!!!!!  Just kidding...tough price to pay.  What I love is the $3.90 shipping charge...you mean for $300 they can't throw in free shipping?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
Patric Dickinson's "A Round Of Golf Courses."

I started on the St. Andrew's chapter (appropriately, the 14th of 18) and want to share this quote with you, to give you an idea of Dickinson's worth as an observer and communicator:

"There is an intonation of Fore! to cover every contingency, and like Touchstone's seven forms of deceit, it has seven shades:  there is the Fore courteous, the Fore mock-modest, the Fore churlish, the Fore valiant, the Fore quarrelsome, the Fore circumstantial, and the Fore direct.  I have heard them all, the Fore direct being always in unison and terrible as the roaring of a bull."

I plan to enjoy the remainder of this hole and the other 17, with names/locations as Aberdovey, Hunstanton, Harlech, Portrush and Westward Ho!, to name just a few.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:59:58 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
Mac -

Best golf book nobody knows is Patric Dickinson's A Round of Golf Courses. (That's not a misspelling of his name.)

Let me say that differently. Dickinson's book is one of the best golf books ever written. It just happens not to be well known.

Bob

Bob:

I was scrolling down to make the same recommendation, but you beat me to it.  This is a wonderful book on a few of his favorite golf courses.  The little drawings and diagrams he includes are really funny, too.  I found this in the library when I was 11 or 12 years old, but could not find it again for many years.  Someone did a paperback reprint about 20 years ago.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Much cheaper on Abebooks:  http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=a+round+of+golf+courses&x=61&y=9

These will be used, mind you, but if $$$ is any object, Abe wins most days.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Sabino

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
Mac - If you like Wind you will also like Henry Longhurst, he wrote many golf books, a lot of them compilations of his articles writing for The Times of London. He played for the Cambridge golf team and commentated at the Masters for years, long ago. He has a great style and a wicked sense of humor. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
There's a used one for $0.89 on Amazon.  How much cheaper can it get?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

What about showing some commitment and buy “The Golf Links of Scotland” or is all this talk of golf and GCA just Scotch Mist

Melvyn

Mac Plumart

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
That was good Melvyn!!   :D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
Mac,

If you'd like something a little special, the PBA galleries are currently auctioning first editions of three Tillinghast publications. Cobble Valley stories is listed ebtween $300-500. The Mutt is $500-800. and the booklet "Planning a Golf Course" is estimated at $15-25,000. According to the advertisement there are only 4 of these known to exist. They are actually wrong as I located another one three years ago and was able to scan it into my computer. I believe this is the same one that was "sold" by them two years ago for $44,000 as the others are in archives that will not sell them.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
Mac,

If you are interested in a modern classic, I will second David Tepper on Bamberger's "To the Linksland".  I have a copy that you can borrow if you are interested.  You should DEFINITELY read it before you go to Scotland. 

JC Jones

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
Much cheaper on Abebooks:  http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=a+round+of+golf+courses&x=61&y=9

These will be used, mind you, but if $$$ is any object, Abe wins most days.

Not today it didn't.  Chris Clouser's book on Perry Maxwell is cheaper "new" at Amazon than it is "used" at abebooks!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »
J.C....did you goof up your personal messaging when you changed your name?  I tried to PM you and it won't let me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
I guess early onset dementia has set in-I just got the name change thing :)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
Mac -

Bob

Bob:

I was scrolling down to make the same recommendation, but you beat me to it.  This is a wonderful book on a few of his favorite golf courses.  The little drawings and diagrams he includes are really funny, too.  I found this in the library when I was 11 or 12 years old, but could not find it again for many years.  Someone did a paperback reprint about 20 years ago.

Tony Weiler gave me a copy of this book while on a golfing adventure.  I just finished reading it for the first of what will surely end up being many times.  The book is so good and the writing so unique I was stunned!  Great book...great recommendation. 

On to the next one...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back