News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

The GCA Effect
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »
The recent threads on Merion, National and now Shawnee have really disappointed me.  I want the new members to know that while those type of threads can happen on GCA, the genius of the site is how it can create connections between people, not undermine them.

As many know, I have been a part of the Cobb's Creek initiative since its infancy.  I'm proud to say I was post #2 on that Herculean thread, right between the posts of Mr. Cirba and Mr. Bausch.  I equate it to being employee #2 at Google, but as my wife reminds me... we have no hope of financial security as a result of our endeavor!

Nearly 3 years after Mike uncovered those aerials, we are still consumed with the dream of restoring the property back to its rightful position as a top tier golf facility open to all.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I have spoken/emailed with Mike or Joe almost every other day for 3 years (I have the cell phone bills to prove it!) and it has brought me so much joy in the process.  We have made considerable progress and I'm sure Mike will provide an update at the appropriate time.  GCA has given me far more than I could ever give back, but I'll certainly try to even the score.

The magic of GCA is that is provides a way to immediately connect with others who share a love for golf course architecture.  Period.  It really becomes special when you leverage that network and apply the collective knowledge/passion and individual skillsets towards a common goal that could benefit others in the community.  When you see the potential impact it can have in real life, it is remarkable.  Trust me, I am still amazed nearly 3 years later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:59:03 AM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Adam Clayman

Re: The GCA Effect
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »
Bravo! Looking forward to seeing Cobb's Creek soon.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Davenport

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »
Geoff,
I applaud you for your efforts and echo your sentiments for any new members to absorb. I have been a member of the DG for quite some time and while I am not a prolific poster I couldn't be happier being a part of this group. I too am discouraged by obvious attacks to discredit ODGs. This is a perfect forum to make your opinions known; HOWEVER, please support your hypotheses with some semblance of research, not just something you heard in the grill room at the club.

Negative attitudes are present in all of our everyday lives. I try to avoid these people. I was recently involved in a project here in Berks County, PA that showed the true giving nature of our community. The outcome was spectacular, being an Extreme Makeover house for a widowed single mom. My point here is a healthy percentage of people that I told I was involved in this particular project could only think about the negative aspect of press that they read or news stories they 'heard' about those individuals who wound up losing their new homes when they couldn't afford to pay the taxes to keep them.

My wife tells me to take off my rose colored glasses a few times each month, but I prefer to see the good in people and ask how can I make the world a better place. Let's all see how we can be constructive and build upon (not tear down) the tremendous foundation that has been built here at GCA. ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »
There's some really exciting stuff going on up there!

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
Matt Davenport is Exhibit A for what I am talking about.

He joined the Cobb's team unexpectedly at a very important juncture via GCA and we would not have gotten the initiative off the ground if he hadn't reached out to us.

It was like the scene in Ocean's Eleven where they are putting together the team and everyone brings a talent to the table...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
I used to work at The Vanguard Group.  Mr. Bogle had a saying, "Even one person can make a difference".

The Cobbs Creek work is the personification of that statement.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »
"The recent threads on Merion, National and now Shawnee have really disappointed me."

Me too Geoff. But the good news is, as far as I can see, the negativity on this website only comes from two people and it has come from only those two for quite a few years, albeit recently very much concentrating on Cirba and indirectly on his passion for Cobbs Creek. Thankfully, it seems everyone who seriously uses this website knows who they are at this point. And I'm encouraged that it appears recently their credibility on here is at an all time low. Compared to the Cobbs Creek restoration contingent neither of those two have given back anything beneficial to golf or golf course architecture, and certainly not compared to the Cobbs Creek contingent. The fact that they have been so negative about it is really pathetic. I guess they're both pretty insecure for some reason or maybe it's jealousy. I suspect they both would like to give back something beneficial to architecture; just that to date they don't seem to have figured out how to do it in a collaborative, positive and constructive manner.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:27:33 AM by TEPaul »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
Amen brother.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
"The recent threads on Merion, National and now Shawnee have really disappointed me."

Me too Geoff. But the good news is, as far as I can see, the negativity on this website only comes from two people and it has come from only those two for quite a few years, albeit recently very much concentrating on Cirba and indirectly on his passion for Cobbs Creek. Thankfully, it seems everyone who seriously uses this website knows who they are at this point. And I'm encouraged that it appears recently their credibility on here is at an all time low. Compared to the Cobbs Creek restoration contingent neither of those two have given back anything beneficial to golf or golf course architecture, and certainly not compared to the Cobbs Creek contingent. The fact that they have been so negative about it is really pathetic. I guess they're both pretty insecure for some reason or maybe it's jealousy. I suspect they both would like to give back something beneficial to architecture; just that to date they don't seem to have figured out how to do it in a collaborative, positive and constructive manner.

Very well said.
H.P.S.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »
But the good news is, as far as I can see, the negativity on this website only comes from two people.

TEPaul
Are you referring to yourself as one of those two?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back