News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

Was this architect even trying?
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
I understand the need for paths (sorry Melvyn :o) in the states but do we really need them on the inside of the bunker?  Actually this is one of the best holes on this course and all you notice is the path.  It's a long hole (450 or so) so the play is to aim at the path with a draw.  Hit the path and you're perfect :D

OK.  On this par three we have:
1.  Chain link fence with the triple barbed wire strands on the left.
2.  The eye pleasing concrete to asphalt path transition
3.  The path at a perfect 45 to the hole drawing your eye perfectly to the almost hidden right front bunker
4.  McMansions in the background not even remotely hidden by 4-5 lolly pop trees/bushes and lastly (and no fault to anyone I guess)
5.  The overhead power lines between the hedges and McMansions.

I guess the GCA can't do much about many of those things but as far as the paths--how about a little effort :o ???  In the first pic there were tons of options regarding where the path could go and in the par three there was plenty of room to bring the path behind the back tee and down the right side heading toward the players in the next group.

Mac Plumart

Re: Was this architect even trying?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:59 PM »
That seems really bad.  Really, really bad.  I don't understand why someone would do that.  Hmmm...
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Are you sure those paths were laid out by an architect?

Supers and architects get asked/told to do all sorts of really stupid things. Some battles you win, some you lose.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »

Supers and architects get asked/told to do all sorts of really stupid things. Some battles you win, some you lose.

Would you consider having to work with Hancock on a regular basis a battle won or a battle lost?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Trey Stiles

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
Looks like Judge Schmalls laid out the cart paths   :o

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »

Would you consider having to work with Hancock on a regular basis a battle won or a battle lost?
Taking the 5th

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
My bet is the architect had nothing to do with it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
Chris, I agree with your take on the cart path in the first photo.  I prefer a cart path with some options, so I'd rather see the path provide an alternative to go left or right of the bunker instead of forcing the player left.  It would also be a more scenic ride if they had the path going between the small group of trees instead of around them.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
Chris,

you obviously do not understand the architectural brilliance of your first photo. It is obviously meant for the shorter hitter to use in an attempt to cut the dogleg and thus evening the playing field with the loger hitters of today.

Cutting edge stuff if you ask me,

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
I'm with Don & Mike that the cart paths were added after the architect was gone.
But who is responsible for the mounds on the par 3?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
That is what we call a speed slot

Chris Cupit

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
Greg,

I was aiming for the path on the first pic--missed (juuuuust a little outside....) about 60 yards left--deep in the left trees--par ;)  I guess I was worried about that menacing fairway bunker.  You could putt out of it :P  That would be the play, if you could putt it about 195 :D

I agree I am kinda throwing the architect under the bus without knowing for sure what his constraints were or what choice(s) he may have had.  But, the course was re-done in 2006 and asphalt paths certainly looked 3-4 years old.  

The second pic was more jarring to my eye than the first (very, very busy to the eye and the traffic was none too kind to the ear either--thankfully I don't hear too well)--I guess I have become desensitized to paths and hardly noticed it in the first pic :o

MZ
I am not certain who was the architect but I suspect the three ice cream scoops in the second pic were his idea.  In person the three mounds seemed more symmetrical which I think is a bad thing.  Not a big fan of "Georgian" (or is it "Neapolitan") architecture that frames golf holes/greens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:57:08 PM by Chris Cupit »

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »

Whoa.. who got you on NGLA?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Chris Cupit

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »
GD

:)
Actually, I am headed there next month!  Somehow I remember their paths blending in a bit better.  Not really a fair comparison since NGLA is the greatest course EVER ;D

If you're in town come play--fixed up a few things since your last visit.

John Moore II

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »
Chris-What course are we looking at in these pictures? Beyond the paths, the holes look pretty good.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »
Chris, I am very much looking forward to popping out your way.  Your co-conspirator and I have exchanged letters.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
Chris-What course are we looking at in these pictures? Beyond the paths, the holes look pretty good.

I'd rather not say the course and yes, I think those two holes were two very solid golf holes. 

We spend almost all our time on here talking about the very elite clubs and I understand that.  More important to many of us though, is the every day course we all play/can play.  This is one of those courses and unfortunately a perfect example of how much better the architecture/view/experience could be if the club/architect/super or whomever had cared more about something as mundane as cart paths.

I will say this course had the absolute best bermudagrass greens I have ever putted and I am/was one of those snobby bent guys that hates/hated bermuda!  It's still an acquired taste but the greens were very smooth and the ball roll was excellent.  (But, good bent still beats good bermuda ;)).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back