News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Re: (Looks like) 2017 PGA going to Quail Hollow - Charlotte
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
Maybe they could have tournament in Raleigh that year?  I don't recall any big time tournaments being held there.  They would get a good crowd and I'd say they deserve at least one serious golf tournament.  Just an idea...

Ed Oden

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
If you read between the lines, I think it is pretty clear there will not be a tournament in Charlotte after 2014.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
I read that Crooked Stick was being considered.  Anybody aware if this is true or what others were being considered? 

Chris Buie

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
Ed is probably reading the tea leaves correctly.  I suppose this means that Quail Hollow will be on the unofficial PGA rota now. 
Maybe.
Assuming they can get some pristine bermuda greens going the only question would be the weather.  August in N.C. is hot and humid with a searing intensity you'd have to experience to understand.  I'm not too sure how well that will go over with the fans and players.

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »
Ed is probably reading the tea leaves correctly.  I suppose this means that Quail Hollow will be on the unofficial PGA rota now. 
Maybe.
Assuming they can get some pristine bermuda greens going the only question would be the weather.  August in N.C. is hot and humid with a searing intensity you'd have to experience to understand.  I'm not too sure how well that will go over with the fans and players.

I would only be concerned with the fans and what they think. Let the players moan as much as the like. Just play the game and shut your hole. I played today and it was at least 95 with high humidity; I've played in hotter. Just another advantage for the physically fit players.

Chris Buie

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
John, you think the fans will be ok with a 100+ degree heat index?  And if the players legitimately 'moan' that would not encourage the PGA to include QH on their rota.
The PGA already has enough controversy on their hands with the absurdities up in Whistling Straits.  I don't think they are in the market for new ones.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:16:20 PM by Chris Buie »

John Shimp

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
Set aside the fans if its 100F, what do they do about the greens at Quail if they get a summer approaching this one?  East Lake all over again.

They are going to a tougher bermuda strain now I understand.

mike_beene

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »
carmel would have the infrastructure with 36 holes and is close to Quail Hollow so logistics would be similar.Supporting both tournaments in a year is asking a lot of place although it does happen from time to time.Is there even a sponsor for the Charlotte stop going forward.? the tour jumped through hoops for it and damaged the Nelson heavily.Wonder of the PGA will be a major again by 2017?

John Moore II

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:17 AM »
John, you think the fans will be ok with a 100+ degree heat index?  And if the players legitimately 'moan' that would not encourage the PGA to include QH on their rota.
The PGA already has enough controversy on their hands with the absurdities up in Whistling Straits.  I don't think they are in the market for new ones.

Yes, I think fans will be ok, as long as the PGA provides drinking water for a minimal fee or free and provides 'cooling stations' for them, with shaded areas and fans. And it depends on how much of the course they want to see as well. I go back and look at how they dealt with the spectators at Southern Hills and do something similar. It seems that players do not dislike that course as it tends to host majors every 10 years, give or take.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back