News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Re: Who ACTUALLY Designed National Golf Links of America?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2010, 07:11:57 AM »
David,

The article is from the time Macdonald bought the land to build his Ideal Links.

In your Merion essay, you represented as fact that NGLA bought only the exact, specific Land they needed for the golf course because they pre-routed it, and then continued on to argue that Merion did the exact same thing.   If you'd like, I can quote those passages here.

Now, you tell us the planning hadn't even begun at the time of the article.   Which is it?

It's clear from the article that Macdonald bought much more land than he needed for the golf course because 1) The routing and planning of the holes for NGLA hadn't taken place yet, and 2) Because Macdonald only intended to use about 110 acres of the 200 he purchased, leaving much land for homes for early subscribers.

The irony is, this is almost exactly what Merion did as well, only you have it completely backwards in your essay.

Macdonald's own words;

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:20:33 AM by MCirba »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »

Mike

How many (if any) template holes were used at NCLA

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2010, 07:57:44 AM »

Bill, I shouldn't have called your statement that CBM would never share credit for NGLA ridiculous, and I apologize.

In my opinion he did share credit, and repeatedly and graciously so.

But I agree with you that CBM had an ego and would add that he seemed to think he was on a mission as well.  But if he felt he played a large role in the growth to early maturity of American golf, then in my opinion he had good reason to think and if anything he underplayed his importance.  I cannot imagine who might have had more influence on so many different aspects of the game before 1912.  

Where if anywhere in Scotland's Gift do you think that CBM exaggerated or overstated his accomplishments or importance?   Who if anyone didn't he acknowledge that he should have acknowledged?

Apology accepted.   ;)

Since Scotland's Gift is autobiographical (CBM writing about himself and his life in golf), it's almost impossible to know what is truly factual and what might be exaggerated.  His overweening ego shines through in every section, and it's a fascinating study in American golf and the psychology of the very upper class of his era.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Sorry I can't comment until tonight on a number of items.

Just as I called David out on a comment which I believed in poor taste, I now want to commend him for accepting this as a serious discussion and doing so in that manner.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2010, 08:13:06 AM »

David

I believe that Bill has a point. We tend to read too much into the words of various Gentlemen of that period, particularly if it comes from one of their own publications.  Let’s not forget that Julius Caesar in his writings about his war with the Gaul’s was written by the Victor, given the opportunity, do we not always want to be remembered in a good light. So hence why researchers seek where possible to obtain at least two sources to support any serious  claims they make.

These are the guys who find it difficult to remember how their predecessors actually designed courses, be they more inland than links.

Melvyn

Bill Brightly

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
When the History of The Merion Thread is written...

this particular thread will be known as the Phil Young's Doolittle Raid. It is the GCA.com version of the US making a spectacular, yet non-damaging, bombing raid against Japan early in WW II.  

A pointless effort from a MILITARY perspective, other than to let the enemy know that it could be done...

Have fun guys!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:38:38 PM by Bill Brightly »

TEPaul

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
"We tend to read too much into the words of various Gentlemen of that period, particularly if it comes from one of their own publications.  Let’s not forget that Julius Caesar in his writings about his war with the Gaul’s was written by the Victor, given the opportunity, do we not always want to be remembered in a good light."

Melvyn:

THAT reminds me of one of my favorite remarks by Winston Churchill (and I have many favorites by him) about history and the writing of history.

Churchill was once asked:

"How do you think history will treat you?"

Churchill said:

"I think history will treat me very well since I plan to write it."

"How many (if any) template holes were used at NCLA?"

I would say at least eight, and seven of them actually carried the same name as their counterpart abroad.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:02:53 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
Pat:

There were some (The Wilson brothers) from Macdonald's times who knew him well who referred to his "Scotland's Gift Golf" as his autobiography but it seems from his book itself he called it or the book called it his "Reminiscences."

TEPaul

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
BillB:

Actually, the original point of the Doolittle raid was to let Japan know it could be done that easily (that Japan's mainland was that vulnerable) but one would certainly not say it was undamaging to Japan, and the last to say that would be the Japanese themselves who took the brunt of it.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:04:09 PM by TEPaul »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
Pat:

There were some (The Wilson brothers) from Macdonald's times who knew him well who referred to his "Scotland's Gift Golf" as his autobiography but it seems from his book itself he called it or the book called it his "Reminiscences."

Merriam-Webster Dictionary, def. of "autobiography:"    The biography of a person narrated by himself.

I'm not sure how else one could describe "Scotland's Gift, Golf."     "Reminiscences" would certainly be an autobiographical sketch.  I'm not sure why the uncertainty that the book is an autobiography, it is what it is.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »

1.  You have no idea who wrote the club history for Belvedere Golf Club,
     Yes, I do.

where they got their information,
Neither do you.

whether they were involved in the construction

They weren't

, nor anything else.  ?

You don't even have a clue what the Belvedere Golf Club is,

I do

where it is,
I know

or anything else.  ?

You openly admitted to searching the internet for information to help your feeble arguments last night.  

I didn't know that was a prohibited transaction.

2.  You did not address my point other than to say it was idiotic.

What points.  You drew an absurd conclusion from one sentence, insisting that no motorized or mechanized equipment was used.
Do you have concrete proof, source material stating that no motorized/mechanized equipment was used ?
Or do you insist in relying on a non-exclusionary sentence, written 44 years after the fact, that merely states that 115 men and 5 horse teams were employed ?

Does Scotland's Gift specifically exclude every possible architect of the time from having lead or co-design credit for NGLA?  
You can't see the relevancy in the question because you can't see your own foolishness.

You're so driven by your desire to be right that you can't see the difference in CBM identifying those that helped him, and your absurd conclusion drawn from a single sentence written 44 years after the fact by a party not involved in the construction.

It's you who drew a false conclusion based on a third party hearsay contained in a single non-exclusionary sentence.
CBM, who guided every aspect of the project specifically detailed those involved.

I'm glad we've re-entered Pat Mucci bizarro world where the wind doesn't blow in Nebraska

You're confused and wrong again, as usual.
I was the one stating that there were prevailing winds at Sand Hills.  
Please try to get accurate information when citing my position, or, are you just lying in order to help you win the argument ?.

and there aren't any swamps in Florida.  

Now you've transitioned from someone who's just misinformed to a liar.
I never said there weren't any swamps in Florida and you know that.
Try telling the truth for a change.
I said that there aren't any golf courses built on swamps.
You insisted that TPC in Ponte Vedre was built on a swamp.
I contacted the original land owners of TPC Ponte Vedre who informed me that it wasn't a swamp, but, a tree farm.
Proving you wrong once again.  So please stop lying to try to make your argument look good

Your inability to be truthful should alert everyone, when viewing your posts, to employ a good degree of enlightened suspicion.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Gentlemen

My question "How many (if any) template holes were used at NCLA?"

Tom’s answer  “I would say at least eight, and seven of them actually carried the same name as their counterpart abroad”

Therefore the course was designed by a combination of Designers, Superintended by a certain CBM.

Saved a long Merion type debate but no need for your thanks guys, all part of the service, now what about these carts..... ;)

Melvyn

Bill Brightly

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Melvin,

Please stop referring to template "holes" and use the correct phrase: "features." Macdonald did NOT copy HOLES, he copied FEATURES and made them into holes...

Peter Galea

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

now what about these carts..... ;)

Melvyn

Carts are OK, as long as they don't break the flagstick when they drive across the green....;)
"chief sherpa"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »

Bill

You must come over and see all the feature I have from TOC, need a name to call my course, oh yes got it, must use features so I'll call it TOC ;)

Melvyn

DMoriarty

« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
Part of my frustration with these threads relating to Macdonald and/or Merion is that we regularly cycle through the exact same arguments, often times with the same people making the exact same claims they have before, even though large portions of these claims were previously erroneous and shown to be so.    

It seems a better approach would be for the protagonists with these theories would be to gather all their information and put all their ducks in a row, and put it in a coherent Essay or IMO.   If they attempted to do so, they might themselves come to a better understanding of how all the source material fits together, and if they got past that stage and actually wrote the piece, we might all come to better understand the strengths and weaknesses in their positions, and could perhaps deal with at least some of the issues once and for all.

This discussion is a perfect example.  We've covered all of the issues at least two or three times before, with Mike Cirba and others claiming virtually the exact same things, sometimes based on the exact same misreading of the exact same material.   Apparently they have forgotten or chose to ignore these prior conversations.   It gets rather old.  

--  Mike's claims that "the article is from the time Macdonald bought the land to build his Ideal Links."  While Mike did not do us the courtesy of providing the date or source of these articles, they are likely from sometime near the end of 1906, as that is when the vast majority of articles that say essentially the same thing were published.  The problem is that he land at NGLA was not purchased until sometime in the summer of fall of 1907.    At the time of the articles, the land had been optioned, not purchased.   NGLA had an option to purchase 205 acres out of a much larger plot, and had the ability to choose the boundaries.
--  Mike claims that the golf course had not yet been routed.   Yet the articles themselves discuss a number of specific holes and their locations.
--  Mike claims that CBM was only planning to use 110 out of the 205 acres he had "purchased."   The 110 acre figure was not based on anything to do with this transaction, but was taken almost verbatim from an explanatory hypothetical in the original agreement between the founders CBM had drawn up in 1904.
--  Mike claims that CBM bought a much bigger portion than he needed and was planning on using the supposed extra acreage (95 acres) for homes of the subscribers.  Again, straight out of the 1904 original agreement, and again part of a CBM's hypothetical explaining how the deal could work out.
-- Mike denies the course was routed or planned at the time of the purchase.     In reality, they already had a very good idea of the routing before they even optioned the property, and then they optioned the property, then they continued the detailed planning until they knew exactly the land they needed, and then they purchased the land.  
-- Mike pretends to not understand that there is still plenty of planning to be done even after a preliminary routing is in place.  That was the case here.    

Here is one such thread with some similar articles posted by Joe Bausch.    We had already gone over it multiple times before Joe started the thread, and we went over it again a couple of times (at least) after.  Yet here we are again.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39906.0/

Mike, do you mind taking another look at that thread so we can put some of this nonsense to rest?

Dan and Mike C,

My mistake.  It was TomPaul who was egging you on, suggesting that I was I liar and that Ran ought to kick me off the site.

Bill McBride wrote:
Since Scotland's Gift is autobiographical (CBM writing about himself and his life in golf), it's almost impossible to know what is truly factual and what might be exaggerated.  His overweening ego shines through in every section, and it's a fascinating study in American golf and the psychology of the very upper class of his era.

I disagree.  Almost everything covered in Scotland's Gift was a very big deal in golf in America, and was discussed elsewhere.  So there is little need to take CBM's word for much of anything.   I am unaware of anything that doesn't check out.    

What confuses me is that you said it was the book that gave you your impression of CBM, but it apparently it is nothing in the content or substantce of the book, but rather just a general negative impression of the man.  And when you write that his "overweening ego shines through in every section," I am left to wonder whether your opinion of the man influencing the way you view the content of the book.   Because so far as I can tell the book is remarkably accurate considering it was written by a man with as many years experience in golf as had CBM.

Melvyn,

CBM mostly borrowed fundamental concepts and features.   According to HJ Whigham, who was with CBM and who knew the holes on both sides of the Atlantic, there were four copies at NGLA, and even these substantially departed from the originals.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:40:01 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
Bill McBride wrote:
Since Scotland's Gift is autobiographical (CBM writing about himself and his life in golf), it's almost impossible to know what is truly factual and what might be exaggerated.  His overweening ego shines through in every section, and it's a fascinating study in American golf and the psychology of the very upper class of his era.

I disagree.  Almost everything covered in Scotland's Gift was a very big deal in golf in America, and was discussed elsewhere.  So there is little need to take CBM's word for much of anything.   I am unaware of anything that doesn't check out.    

What confuses me is that you said it was the book that gave you your impression of CBM, but it apparently it is nothing in the content or substantce of the book, but rather just a general negative impression of the man.  And when you write that his "overweening ego shines through in every section," I am left to wonder whether your opinion of the man influencing the way you view the content of the book.   Because so far as I can tell the book is remarkably accurate considering it was written by a man with as many years experience in golf as had CBM.

I have nowhere but the book to gain an impression of CBM.  Reading another's thoughts necessarily means a great deal of subjectivity is involved.  Going back to my original statement, and trying to avoid the interminable parsing and inevitable rancor, I will just repeat that IN MY OPINION, CBM had a personality that would lead him to see himself as the prime mover, not merely one of a committee.

TEPaul

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
"Your inability to be truthful should alert everyone, when viewing your posts, to employ a good degree of enlightened suspicion."

Patrick, you are my hero, Big Guy! You know that remark of yours just might be the most polite version I have ever seen of accusing someone of lying!   ;)

Mike Cirba

« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »
David,

You doth protest way too much.

It's simpler if you'd just say, "I was incorrect", or "I read into what Macdonald wrote in his book and made assumptions that were later shown to be incorrect.", or whatever, but it's not even worth bothering to discuss it again...at least on that point we agree.  ;)

In any case, I think Phil just threw this thread out there to argue for some application of consistency on these attribution matters, and he's made a good point.   I do also think that Emmet and Travis deserve more credit, but CBM as the man in charge and the man who pursued his vision is clearly the one who should get the primary recognition for the great course at NGLA.

Beyond that, there's no reason for this thread to continue that I see.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:17:22 PM by MCirba »

JC Jones

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »

1.  You have no idea who wrote the club history for Belvedere Golf Club,
     Yes, I do.

where they got their information,
Neither do you.

whether they were involved in the construction

They weren't

, nor anything else.  ?

Ok.  Tell me who wrote the Belvedere Club History in 1969. 

The club history states exactly where they got the information used to write the club history.

If I ask you what you did yesterday are you going to tell me all the things you did or all the things you didn't do?  If you tell me all the things you did yesterday but don't tell me you went to the grocery store, should I insist that you went to the grocery store because you didn't expressly exclude it from the list of things you did yesterday?

You can call me an idiot and a liar and anything else you'd like to try and deflect, I assure you it doesn't bother me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
"Your inability to be truthful should alert everyone, when viewing your posts, to employ a good degree of enlightened suspicion."

Patrick, you are my hero, Big Guy! You know that remark of yours just might be the most polite version I have ever seen of accusing someone of lying!   ;)

Tom,

You should read his entire post (I know, its hard to get through the ridiculousness of his failed logic and verbal bashing).  He does call me a liar, among many other things. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
"By the way Tom, he most certainly did NOT do the design with an amateur/sportsman committee as Devereaux Emmet was a PROFESSIONAL architect who was paid for his designs..."

Phil:

That may be something of a technical point (the evolution of the USGA's Rules on Amateur Status must be considered) but at the period Emmet was on the NGLA committee I do not believe he was or was considered to be a PROFESSIONAL architect. Certainly that Brooklyn Eagle article did not think he was as it stated pretty clearly no help from a professional golfer would be sought.

I note that the article said professional "golfer" and not professional "architect" and I also note that the USGA's Rules on Amateur Status did not and has never declared a golfer whose amateur status they remove to be a "professional golfer." As far as they go or ever went was to just declare that he is no longer an "amateur" golfer.  ;)  

The Rules on Amateur Status as they evolved with the USGA in the teens were fairly complex and technical and nuancy and therefore prompted many to suggest they be made more clear. And I am convinced that the one who actually wrote those complex and nuancy "amateur status" rules resolutions that were adopted by the USGA in the teens was none other than C.B. Macdonald himself!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
"Tom,
You should read his entire post (I know, its hard to get through the ridiculousness of his failed logic and verbal bashing).  He does call me a liar, among many other things."

JC:

Don't worry about it. Pat's actually a lovable guy and that's the way he and all his friends talk to each other. It's just a North Jersey kinda thing, don't you know? I call it the "Soprano Syntax."

One time during the National Singles Tourney at NGLA I was watching Pat and a number of his friends down in the locker-room just going at each other that way and laughing the whole time. The insults, the verbal bashing and the failed logic (actually some of their logic was pretty good ;) ) were unbelievable but always with a laugh. I just about fell out I was laughing so hard.

At the end Patrick got up and tried to tell some joke and all the rest of them pretty much in unison said: "Sit down and shut up, Patrick, we've heard that one before from you and its a terrible joke, you Dickhead!"

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:40:40 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:03 PM »

Tom,

You should read his entire post (I know, its hard to get through the ridiculousness of his failed logic and verbal bashing). 

He does call me a liar, among many other things. 

Rightfully so.

You stated that I said that the wind doesn't blow in Nebraska (sand hills)
And that I stated that there were no swamps in Florida.

Both of those statements are deliberate BLATENT LIES on your part.

Hence, I called you a LIAR.

Your actions speak for themselves.

Try being honest in these discussions, intellectually and otherwise.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
The Rules on Amateur Status as they evolved with the USGA in the teens were fairly complex and technical and nuancy and therefore prompted many to suggest they be made more clear. And I am convinced that the one who actually wrote those complex and nuancy "amateur status" rules resolutions that were adopted by the USGA in the teens was none other than C.B. Macdonald himself!  ;)

This is very interesting.  I wonder if CBM was directly involved in the situation where Francis Ouimet was assigned professional status for working in a sporting goods store.  Tom?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back