News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

In praise of Thomas Stewart Jr. Golf Cleek and Iron Maker
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:25 AM »
That's the name of Ralph Livingston's long awaited book on the famed Scot club maker and in it, Ralph's passion for Stewart clubs pours out from each of the 330 plus pages.

Let's face it: Everyone of us needs a Fairlie Anti-Shanking Putting Cleek.  8) What in fact happened to naming clubs? A Mongrel Mashie is too delightful to let slip away and be replaced by something so pedestrian as a '3 iron.' Clubs were made for specific holes and for instance, I bought a Ben Sayer Redan iron from Ralph ~ five years ago that was instrumental in trouncing Joe Andriole at Old Macdonald in late May this year. The Swilcan pitcher with its 44 degrees of loft is another example of a club that was made to combat a certain famous hazard. Such clubs and the accompanying information make this book a must for any fan of golf course architecture.

After Stewart died in 1931, Hammond wrote that Stewart was 'a ceaseless experimenter and considered each head a work of art alone.' Did you know that Stewart was making Steel Mallet head putters in the 1920s? I thought Mallet heads came after WWII. Other facts laced throughout the book help the reader appreciate when and how technology changed (and the subsequent effects that had on golf course architecture from 1901 to WWII). We all know about the 'new' ball in 1901 but I did not know, for instance, that the USGA sanctioned steel shafts as early as 1924 but Stewart didn't fit any of his clubs with them until 1929 when the R&A approved them as well.

Ralph sprinkles some outrageously amusing quotes throughout his 300 plus page book. Take this one from Rube Goldberg: 'The only good my backspin mashie ever did me was to use it as an onion grater when we were fortunate enough to have caviar sandwiches on picnics.'  If that doesn't sound like something Adam Clayman would write  ;D, I don't know what does! The deep groove irons to which Rube refers were banned in 1922 by the R&A and USGA. There is a great story/quote by Bob Jones on how to play a push iron and John Low describes how Willie Park 'half-tops' his putts for the sake of getting top spin.

As you might imagine, the best thing is seeing such beautiful hickory clubs in action. Ralph brought a backward Willie Kidd putter (the hosel is at the toe of the club!) to Mid Pines a few years back and watching the expression on people's faces when they realized just how functional it is was 'Mastercard priceless.'

Here is an example of a Stewart mid-iron. Sourced through Ralph, no doubt Tom Huckaby and Pat Mucci both remember with dread how effective this beauty behaved at Sand Hills a few years ago.

The art of club making is near dead today by comparison with only a few places like Miura, George Izett and Scratch making clubs of distinction. I highly recommend Ralph's new book as it brings back the romance of the game and congratulations to King Ralph for producing this cornerstone book. Though it might be unlikely to zoom past The Girl Who Kicked Hornet's Nest in terms of copies sold, we all win when such knowledgeable people selflessly share their information and there is no better example of that than this book.

Cheers,

Chris Buie

Re: In praise of Thomas Stewart Jr. Golf Cleek and Iron Maker
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
It was certainly more interesting when clubs had an individuality - a human element.  As I said on another thread, when you found a club that fit your eye in the pre-computer made days you really appreciated it.  It's nice to see Mr. Livingston keep that appealing dimension of the game alive.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »
Au contraire Ran,

Since we stopped naming holes, the clubs are still "named" after holes. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9... You get the idea. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
Ran:  I've been collecting T Stewart clubs ever since seeing them offered by Sotheby's club auction a few years back.  They mentioned that they were used by Bob Jones when he won the grand slam.  Then a trip to the Massachusetts Golf House in Norton MA I noticed a glassed in case of T Stewart irons used by Ouimet when he won the Open.  I'm sure this is probably in the book, which I hope to acquire after seeing your thoughtful post.  Thanks !

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
Thanks Ran, you are too kind.
You might be surprised at the number of people that suggested I remove that Rube Goldberg quote. I loved it from the first time I read it and obviously told them no, its staying.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
Ralph,

I'd price this thing at $5700, perhaps you might sell some copies to the people who want "the most expensive golf book ever"
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:35:37 PM »
Ralph,

I'd price this thing at $5700, perhaps you might sell some copies to the people who want "the most expensive golf book ever"

OK... who told you about the secret Authors Edition?????  and your guess on the price is too low.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
Dumb question perhaps, but did he make any lefty clubs, and what do these things trade for at auction?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »
Sweetwood golf is a new name on the hickory and other woods market.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:15 AM »
Jud,

Yes, Stewart made lefty clubs as did most other makers of the time. They are just very scarce since lefthanders comprised such a small part of the market, just like today. I wonder if the ratio is the same...
BTW, My dad is a lefty and I spent almost two years going to all the collector shows to finally be able to assemble a set for him. It is an all Stewart set, a mixed maker set can more easily be assembled.

Ronald,

Sweetwood takes modern heads and stick wood shafts in them. They bare no resemblance to period clubs and are not legal for use in any of the hickory golf events that I am aware of.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:46:05 PM by RSLivingston_III »
       Our Fearless Leader

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:35:12 AM »
RSL,

Thanks! How do I go about obtaining a copy of the book?  Has it been released yet? Don't see it on Amazon...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
RSL:  Is it correct to confirm that irons forged by T Stewart, personally, had a notch punched on the back front of the iron ?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
Jud,
send me an email at ralph@hickorygolf.com and I can send you the details. You can also see an announcement about them at:
http://www.hickorygolf.com/pages/newscss1.html
There were less than 600 printed so they will not be found at the big book stores.

Willie,
there is nothing to identify a club done entirely by Tom. There is an inspection "dot" on the back toe if he inspected and approved it before shipping. These clubs will usually have been done for someone of significance and/or be something very special in its design.
       Our Fearless Leader

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
Ralph,

Did you know that Tilly's granddaughter, Barbara, has all of Tilly's clubs and that they were all made by Stewart? Were you also aware that the original Jigger came out of the mold with a mistake and Stewart put it inot the scrap heap where Tilly saw it and convinced him to make it into a club for him?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
Philip,
Yes, I had the good fortune of speaking with her and having her go through the set while I was on the phone with her. Unfortunately few if any were Stewarts and the jigger was not part of the set. Most were common-ish American made clubs. It left me with the impression that the set was not his or at best was his extras, the main set having been scattered to the wind.
That prototype jigger was hand forged, not molded or stamped out. It would have been tested with modifications made to the subsequent one before it was rejected and AW was able to acquire it.
I was ready to jump in my car and run down to see her if she had anything there. Especially if one was that prototype jigger.
It would have been an historically important club to know was still around.
       Our Fearless Leader

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
Ralph,

She may not have all of them anymore. When I saw them she was keeping them out of a bag between the stove and the refrigerator in her kitchen! I convinced her daughter to get them taken care of. I'll check and see if she has them. The majority of the ones I saw had the pipe and stewart stamp.

As for the jigger, when I get home on Wednesday (I'm out of town) I'll email you what Tilly wrote about the Jigger. he was in the shop when Stuart made it as it was specifically ordered by a customer and was not a club whose style that he came up with. That is why tilly was able to get the very first head...

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 11:35:56 PM »
I think you were the one who got me in touch with her. Seem to remember she was in Toledo? Also recall her saying they were in the stove/refridgerator area. Since AW was not a club professional none of the clubs would be personalized for him. The jigger would be the only important club, and would be important to get documented. I am fairly sure I know where the idea for the club came from and have that example (from about 1890-95).
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Policano

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »
Ran and Ralph, I putted the Willie Kidd putter last year.  What a hoot! It belongs to Willie's grandson, Jim Kidd. Jim has a number of clubs made by his grandfather.

Cheers

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
That was one of my prouder moments was assembling a full playset of grandpa Willies clubs for him to play with. It was a while ago, back when he was pro at Sand Hills. I seem to recall his first round with them was in the low 70s.
Unfortunately the version of a Willie signed putter he is using is not the Assbackwards model, but one of the conventional blades.
Only four Assbackwards are currently known to exist.

This is the back..
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Policano

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
Ralph, I putted with his backwards putter last year. I thought I was going to hit my toes  He must have come across it somewhere else. Check with him. Does that make four or five?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »
Mike,
I know which one he brought out, and I WILL have to have a talk with the man about that.
It was the original prototype that Willie had cast to test the idea before having Stewart produce a run of them.
That thing should be locked away in a vault. Although, I have done the same thing with my rare clubs.

I am only counting the Stewart produced clubs, not the prototypes and modifieds of.
Needless to say, I have a handful of pages devoted to all these putters in my book.

Most of the collectors are expecting the book to bring out some clubs in hiding...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:03:41 PM by RSLivingston_III »
       Our Fearless Leader

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
Just got the book and it's fantastic.  Extremely well researched with great photography, simply a landmark reference work.  Highly recommended even for those only marginally interested in hickory golf.  I can't put it down and now I'm on a crazed search for lefty Stewart clubs!

Jay Carstens

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Ralph,
Can you give us a glimmer as to what clubfitting was like back then?  Thanks for the book.  Great read!
Jay
Play the course as you find it

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »
I just got my copy in the mail!!!

An early Christmas for me!!!   :) 8) :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ken Moum

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »
That was one of my prouder moments was assembling a full playset of grandpa Willies clubs for him to play with. It was a while ago, back when he was pro at Sand Hills. I seem to recall his first round with them was in the low 70s.
Unfortunately the version of a Willie signed putter he is using is not the Assbackwards model, but one of the conventional blades.
Only four Assbackwards are currently known to exist.

This is the back..

Ralph,

I was just looking at an old set of Powebilt Scotch Blades from the 60s at a Goodwill store and noticed for the first time that they had a clay pipe stamped in them!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:09:14 AM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back