News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Monarch Bay, Oakland CA (with pics)
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
Kevin -

I can't disagree with that, although compared to some of the pics of the areas surrounding Bayonne GC, the Metro is not so bad. No doubt the area surrounding Monarch Bay is more pleasant.

I played the Metro this past Saturday morning. Other than the geese poop in the 2nd fairway, the course is in good shape.

DT

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the pics Mike,

The fairways could definitely be expanded to get run into the bunkers a little better, but the bunkers are not surrounded by rough either, so they do come into play.  There are quite a few deep bunkers.

Nice picture of the 15th, I tried to get one like it the other day but we were too much into the sun.  You can even see a plane landing at the Oakland airport.  When it's clear you get a great view across to the SF.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:45:37 PM by JLahrman »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
Thanks for these pictures.  It looks like a very viable public option. 

I always like the photo tours of lesser known courses.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »
Mike - thanks for the photo.  That probably explains why the bunkers look different from what I remember.

I agree that it isn't a 2 and I think I argued to that effect.  I always remembered it as a 4, I think with F&F conditions it could be a VERY interesting course.

Ian_L

Re: Monarch Bay, Oakland/San Leandro CA (with pics)
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »
Thanks a lot for the photos. I don't think the course has any bad holes, and it certainly has some very good ones.  Not a big fan of the par 3's, however. Besides #4, they seem devoid of strategy (except maybe considering laying up on 7 and 17?).

My favorite stretch is 12-14. With a right pin position on 14, I actually aim for the rough to the right of the green to give me a fairly simple pitch on. If you go far enough right, the front greenside bunker is not in play. Does anybody else try this?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »
With a right pin position on 14, I actually aim for the rough to the right of the green to give me a fairly simple pitch on. If you go far enough right, the front greenside bunker is not in play. Does anybody else try this?

No, I've never tried that.  I think 100% of the time I have just hit a 3 wood off the tee toward the bunker.  Will have to try the approach from the right.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »

I nominate, sometime soon before the Cal Bears begin action, Reilly to organize a dawn patrol round at Monarch Bay ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »

I nominate, sometime soon before the Cal Bears begin action, Reilly to organize a dawn patrol round at Monarch Bay ...

I accept your nomination.  I have a free play voucher because the last time my dewsweeper group played there, they had two groups on the tee on #10 (playing back nine only) as we finished up on #9.  Apologies and vouchers came our way...we lasted only a few holes into the back nine as it was ridiculously slow.  Can't do it for sure this Saturday (our 3rd grader has flag football evaluations at 8:30) but hopefully the next  or Sunday.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

JLahrman

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
Teed off at 3:20 on Saturday and my foursome finished at 7:50, modern speed record for a Bay Area public.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:00:46 AM by JLahrman »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
Gents, let me know if that dawn patrol round gets set up.  One can dream about playing this game.. and at times make said dream come true it if is early enough.

Kevin, I tend to have the same sports issues that you do.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »
I have always preferred Metro or Lake Chabot over Monarch.

Hard to mention Metro or Monarch Bay without comparing it to the other.  I like Metro too but personally prefer Monarch Bay.  Has anyone ever done a photo tour of Metro?

I don't think anyone has done a photo tour of Metro or Lake Chabot on this site, not many Johnny Miller fans here!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back