News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Again the Fulton History site allows a very nice article to be 'rediscovered'.  This article has a couple of things that, IMO, are noteworthy:

1.  On the topic of Seaview, it mentions how Geist employed several "links architects". 

It also mentions that just earlier Ross had been there and made plans for ..."trapping of the links", and further that "....some of the holes will be altered..."  That Ross did bunkering work at Seaview is not new news.

2.  After Ross finished at Seaview, he went to Atlantic City CC.  I was not aware that Ross did work at ACCC, but perhaps this has been known all along.  I'm aware of all the other architects through the years at this club, but not Ross!

(click on the article below to expand it if your browser doesn't automatically do so!)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

Joe,

This is an awesome article.   

We really need to get down to that AC Library this winter.   I'm betting there's a gold mine of materials.

Kris Shreiner

You really have to admire the heartiness of the golfers of this era. The often bitter winter conditions, combined with the attire and  implements of the day, really must have provided some testing shots over the ground in those days. I quite enjoy a brutal day now and again. The scorecard is really irrelevant. One more often seems to remember those 3-4, really well-executed shots with satisfaction, than the total outcome.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Bill Brightly

Nice find!  I love the lines: "Hundreds of loads of nourishment were added to the golf course"  I wonder what that was :)

And the Seaview "greenkeeper William Connellan could make grass grow on a billiard ball"

Mike Cirba

Joe,

Does the timeframe in question of Ross' visit to Seaview coincide with his redesign efforts at Clarence Geist's Whitemarsh Valley CC as well as his work for Philly Cricket (the St. Martens course) around the same timeframe?

Joe Bausch

Joe,

Does the timeframe in question of Ross' visit to Seaview coincide with his redesign efforts at Clarence Geist's Whitemarsh Valley CC as well as his work for Philly Cricket (the St. Martens course) around the same timeframe?

Good question.  That might take some real digging in my records, but I'm fairly confident Ross did not hit Whitemarsh Valley until around 1920ish.

Joe Bausch

Jim, I'm still not sure of the complete architectural evolution at ACCC.  So many people appear to have been involved!  But I want to try to get this firmed up this off-season.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back