News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

US RYDER CUP TEAM: What Are the Odds
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:02:52 AM »
that Pavin picks 9-12 on the list?  That means Anthony Kim (probably a good pick anyway as he can load up on birdies), Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson (not sure I would pick him) & Tiger Woods.  If not, who sneaks a spot and who is dropped?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

Re: US RYDER CUP TEAM: What Are the Odds
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »
Sean,

It would not surprise me if Pavin picks JB Holmes as he has more advantage than Glover or Johnson with his long driving! The Celtic Manor in October will be a very long golf course due to the colder weather and wetter surface which would favour Holmes better. The Europeans fear him more than Glover and Johnson.

Cheers
Ben

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
that Pavin picks 9-12 on the list?  That means Anthony Kim (probably a good pick anyway as he can load up on birdies), Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson (not sure I would pick him) & Tiger Woods.  If not, who sneaks a spot and who is dropped?

Ciao
I agree that JB Holmes made a case for himself in 2008.

During a break Saturday at the PGA, there was an interview with Pavin about some of the factors he will consider.  One of the things he said was (paraphrasing) "I want guys who aren't afraid to go for the win.  I don't want guys who play to protect their position."  As I watched Zach Johnson lay up on 18 knowing he needed a Birdie to tie, I thought of Pavin's comments.

Based on recent play, Bo Van Pelt or Ryan Palmer may have an outside shot.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »
He's going to pick Tiger. I would bet that he goes further down the list to gain some RC experience with only 4 of the top 8 having played in the event before.
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »
I would take Tiger, O'Hair, Kim and Couples.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Tiger's a lock. :P

Kim -- if healthy (a big if) --is probably in as well.

I like Z. Johnson; he performed fairly well in '06, single-handidly winning a four-ball match against Harrington and Co. in front of a very tough crowd. A very good putter, and I'd think a solid foursomes pick (unlike Tiger, who I wouldn't put anywhere near a foursome match).

I think Cink (now 14th in points) has a very good chance to get picked; he's played in several of these, and one of few guys under consideration who was a true playing colleague of Pavin, which has to help his chances.

My crazy wild-card pick is Fowler (20th in points), who seems to have that cock-sure, go-for-broke attitude that comes in handy at the RC.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »

My crazy wild-card pick is Fowler (20th in points), who seems to have that cock-sure, go-for-broke attitude that comes in handy at the RC.

He layed up when he had a chance to win...enough for me to leave him off the team.

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
Kim is still recovering from surgery and is not anywhere near top form.  He finished tied for 76th out of 80 a couple of weeks ago.  (Tiger finished 78th btw).

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »

He layed up when he had a chance to win...enough for me to leave him off the team.

I'd take him over Couples. :D

One of the things I think is over-rated (esp. by captains, except Azinger) is RCup experience; unfortunately, I worry Pavin will fall prey to this kind of thinking. Most RC experience for the Americans of late (save for '08) has been pretty bad. :(

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
This is OT and will be deleted. :)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »

I'm just trying to get access to the course in Wales where they are playing this thing. ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
I think you would be nuts to pick Kim...he's coming off a bad injury and is rusty. Ricky Fowler, Sean O Hair, and JB Holmes bring the same amount of game and would most likely be more consistent.

Not so sure about the Freddie Couples pick, but he would be a good "locker room" pick.

All this talk and I'm not sure it's going to matter as I think the Euros are going to win big. 
H.P.S.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »
the tall guys gets picked. He has played well all year in the events that mean the most.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
I'd be surprised if Woods, Cink and Z. Johnson weren't picked.  Kim would be picked if not for injury.  I would also consider Glover, O'Hair and Watney (despite the 4th round meltdown at WS). 

Monty probably has the harder job with only three picks (and he almost has to use one for Harrington). 

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:48:48 AM »

I'm just trying to get access to the course in Wales where they are playing this thing. ;)

Screw that, I'm using this thread to access to Pine Valley.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

JC:

When will the likes of you get it through your thick heads; we've been down this road before. ;D

http://www.golfpinevalley.net/

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »

JC:

When will the likes of you get it through your thick heads; we've been down this road before. ;D

I'm only going to tell you this one more time, cheese-head, read my signature line for which Pine Valley I am talking about.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »

JC:

I'm only going to tell you this one more time, cheese-head, read my signature line for which Pine Valley I am talking about.

I'm pretty sure it's a top 50 course in Marathon County, WI. :D

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »
I'd pick Woods, Golver, Barnes and O'hair...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

JC:

I'm pretty sure it's a top 50 course in Marathon County, WI. :D

I intend to whore my way onto Oakmont in April or May...http://oakmontgc.com/ (Bill McB aught to really enjoy that little idea  ;))

As far as the picks, yeah, right or wrong, Pavin will probably go with 9-12 straight down the line. Personally, I would take J.B. Holmes, no doubt. Tiger is possible. And honestly, after the performance in the past Ryder Cup, Boo Weekley would be a pick, especially since he could be teamed with his high school buddy Bubba. I may even throw Fred Couples on the team, he's finished top 10 in 8 out of 10 events on the Champions this year, with his worst finish being 12th, not to mention a 6th place finish at Augusta. Not sure who I would use as a 4th pick if I left out Tiger.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
If he picks Holmes maybe he can partner with Furyk so I can gouge my eyes out and not see them get over each putt, back off, plumb bob, get over putt, back off some more. Please do not pick Holmes!
Mr Hurricane

Ron Csigo

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
I agree with you John.  Given his Ryder Cup record in 2008, I would love to see Boo Weekley back on the team especially with his high school teammate Bubba Watson.  You need a guy with that type of mojo on the team.  Helps keep everyone else loose. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
Mr. Hurricane:  I agree with you that JB would make it awful to watch.  Anthony Kim is making his way back and purposely scheduled the surgery so he could play on the Ryder Cup team - he is a great type of player for match play as he makes an enormous amount of birdies.  Tiger is a given and Couples would be a brilliant selection as his length is there, his putting is really good, and his maturity would really be an asset to the young guys. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »
I agree with you John.  Given his Ryder Cup record in 2008, I would love to see Boo Weekley back on the team especially with his high school teammate Bubba Watson.  You need a guy with that type of mojo on the team.  Helps keep everyone else loose. 

Bubba's game is in the tank, no way he could be picked. 

I like the Freddy idea, but Davis Love has been playing well too.  That's going to be a green team!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »

Bubba's game is in the tank, no way he could be picked. 

I like the Freddy idea, but Davis Love has been playing well too.  That's going to be a green team!

Bubba made the squad already, no need for a pick. Boo is certainly in the tank, but I would love to see him on the team again.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back