News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: 2010 US Amateur at Chambers Bay (+ The Home Course)
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
The players, the course, the USGA, the spectators and the volunteers all acquitted themselves wonderfully by all accounts.  It is a testament to the "hunger" for majors in the Pacific Northwest and speaks well for the upcoming Open.  I have every confidence that the USGA will get that course right where they want it!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't see more, it looked tremendous. Only caught a little each day - damn clients! - and a little on Sat. DVR on Sunday didn't work, for some reason. FYI, for those that didn't see it, it is listed as appearing on Universal Sports HD this week, I think maybe tonight and tomorrow, check local listings.

CB moved up on my wish list quite a bit.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
Richard: I am sure you covered it but could you mention again how they dealt with the waste area versus bunker differentiation.  Also, the sand tended to be very soft and I was wondering if there was any reaction to that when the players were playing from sand other than around the greens.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Richard,

Are you the really tall blond guy?

Sean,

Would he be the very exhuberant tall blond guy in this picture?  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
Nice pic, Garland. Yes, that is me in the orange shirt and tan pants behind David getting a little too excited... but that was a heckuva shot in such a crucial situation.

Sean Leary

« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Nice pic, Garland. Yes, that is me in the orange shirt and tan pants behind David getting a little too excited... but that was a heckuva shot in such a crucial situation.

I thought you were the Asian lady on the hill... ;)

Have you been lifting the last couple of weeks since I have seen you, or that just a baggy shirt?

Richard Choi

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
Ooo...I just learned a juicy info.

It seems that Cantlay, one of the semi-finalist, shared a house with Jay Blasi who was intrumental in getting CB built. Cantlay got a pretty good architect's point of view and precisely how to attack each hole from Jay.

That is one BIG advantage to have on a course like this.

Richard Choi

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:39:52 PM by Richard Choi »

Tom Yost

« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
Nice pic, Garland. Yes, that is me in the orange shirt and tan pants behind David getting a little too excited...

You are 1/3 of the way toward completing your Rickie Fowler outfit.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:35 PM »
Nice pic, Garland. Yes, that is me in the orange shirt and tan pants behind David getting a little too excited...

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are...  ;D ;D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Choi

Re: 2010 US Amateur at Chambers Bay (+ The Home Course) New
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
Richard: I am sure you covered it but could you mention again how they dealt with the waste area versus bunker differentiation.  Also, the sand tended to be very soft and I was wondering if there was any reaction to that when the players were playing from sand other than around the greens.

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier.

The local rule was that anything that was raked was a hazard and anything that was not was to be played through the green. This meant that pretty much anywhere sandy your ball was going to go was a bunker as they raked extensively around the course.

I don't think players ever played fairway bunkers as soft as these. I saw countless 50 yard shots out of the fairway bunker when they meant to go much further. Even a slightest mishit and your ball was not going too far. I thought they played wonderfully and like a hazard should.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:45:45 AM by Richard Choi »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »

Who would have thought the USGA was such a Rickie Fowler fan base?!?!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back