News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Re: 2010 US Amateur at Chambers Bay (+ The Home Course)
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 12:36:14 AM »
Did anyone see Mr Davis' comments which were on Shackelford's site? Apparently they felt it got a little too firm.
That was one hellacious beaver.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
I just started to watch the replay and am loving it.  What a contrast to see the two different interpretations of "faux links" between Whistling Straight and Chambers Bay.  Remember that WS did try to grow-in fescue, but abandoned it due to problems of soil and climate, as I understand it.  I would like someone knowledgeable on fescue management to give it more discussion.

I only walked CB a few weeks before the soft opening, and did write about it rather enthusiasitically, but worried that saying too much in praise would not be viewed objective.  What I'm seeing on TV certainly does reinforce that I wasn't wrong on first impression and no actual play. 

The best comment I heard so far was by player Tyler Sheppard from west TX.  Dottie observed it wasn't all that different than what he was used to in West T with firm and windy.  He said, it was and that you didn't get to hit more than one shot each because there is so much shot making diversity at CB. 

I also am glad to see Uielien dispatch Ching tsueng "Peter" Pan.  That kid has a lot of maturing to do with his course abuse antics and attitude.

But back to the turf sward... I'm wondering where they nurseried the many square and rectangular patches of what I assume is the same fescue cultivar for the still ungrown-in portions of some of the greens.  It looks like they had to come up with a sizeable amount of patches.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Benham

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 01:17:57 AM »

Should have taken the under, 35-40 is what I saw in the two hours of coverage ...

I bet they show less then full 50 golf shots each day ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Steve Kline

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
Re: fescue at WS

I played there the summer before the first PGA and the fairways were basically all sand - the grass was almost completely gone. We were told that there was not much snow cover during the winter, which failed to keep the grass warm enough and it died. I have no idea whether this is true or not but that's what we were told. If it's true I'm sure that had an impact in the decision to switch grasses.

Richard Choi

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
But back to the turf sward... I'm wondering where they nurseried the many square and rectangular patches of what I assume is the same fescue cultivar for the still ungrown-in portions of some of the greens.  It looks like they had to come up with a sizeable amount of patches.

RJ, they had to patch in some turf for some problem areas, but that is not what you are seeing on TV. They also cover the area that they are trying to grow with a large blanket overnight. I believe it helps with moisture retension and it leaves the area very green and that is what you are seeing on TV.

Sean Leary

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
Richard,

Is there much poa infestation on the greens? Looks like there might be on some greens.

Just love the moving of tee boxes to keep these guys thinking.

Richard Choi

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
Sean, I have not seen poa on any of the greens. If there were, they are certaily dead now.

Richard Choi

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
Here are some great reaction from one of the competitors: http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/cronin/2638032,082610sptgolfcolumn.article

"Words don't describe how tough it is. It was the hardest course I've ever played in my life. Try to hit a 5-iron off concrete. They play the U.S. Open here in 2015, and I'd say it should be called the British Open."

""It's fair because everyone played it. I would never say something's unfair. But I would need a lot more practice to compete here."

"It looks like motivational posters, some of the holes," Buffone quipped. "The 10th hole, there are mounds on the left and right of the green more than 30 feet in the air."

"You're hitting shots and hope it catches the right spot," Buffone said. "It's all about getting lucky, getting the right bounce. You can hit a skillful shot but you just don't know what will happen."

That's a sign a course set-up is out of control. Tournaments are supposed to be a competition, not a lottery.

"You couldn't land a wedge on the green by the pin," Buffone said. "I had wedge in on one par 4. I hit it 80 yards short of the green and it ran up pin high.

"You'd hit a shot and couldn't see where it landed. You're waiting for people to clap. On the first hole, I had a 5-iron in and picked a target 15 yards right of the flag. I hit it right of that but it bounced left and down a hill. I had a 60-yard shot coming back up. I throw the shot into the side of the hill and figure, 'That's gonna be close.' Fifteen seconds later I'm coming up the hill and see the ball coming back to me."

The chaos had begun. But Buffone had two birdies, including one on the 227-yard par-3 ninth.

"I hit it way left off the tee, over the crowd and I can't see the flag over the hill," Buffone said. "I hit a wedge to the far side of the green, and I've got a long putt. My caddie (Ryan Hewson) says, 'If you make this, it's one of the top five up-and-downs in U.S. Amateur history.' And I make this bomb of a putt. The crowd erupts. It was pure luck, but it made my U.S. Amateur experience."

Just because you cannot stick a wedge does not mean that it is a lottery...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »
""It's fair because everyone played it. I would never say something's unfair. But I would need a lot more practice to compete here."

Amen to that.

And, one of these days I am going to have to school you, Richard, on how to hit the long ball.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Szabo

« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
Here are some great reaction from one of the competitors: http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/cronin/2638032,082610sptgolfcolumn.article

"
"You're hitting shots and hope it catches the right spot," Buffone said. "It's all about getting lucky, getting the right bounce. You can hit a skillful shot but you just don't know what will happen."

That's a sign a course set-up is out of control. Tournaments are supposed to be a competition, not a lottery.

"

Is that the general consensus of the competitors or just one?  Is he still competing or did he miss the cut/get beat in match play?  Sounds like sour grapes to me, although if it's the consensus of the guys, that should say something.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

John Moore II

« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »

"Words don't describe how tough it is. It was the hardest course I've ever played in my life. Try to hit a 5-iron off concrete. They play the U.S. Open here in 2015, and I'd say it should be called the British Open."

Good, glad to hear its the hardest. Players of this level aught to be tested to the utmost of their ability

Well, Chambers is open to the public, come out, pay your money and play. Everyday, Everyday

"It looks like motivational posters, some of the holes," Buffone quipped. "The 10th hole, there are mounds on the left and right of the green more than 30 feet in the air."

Is there a problem here?

I'd bet the really skillful shots don't bounce all over the place and become like a lottery, or Plinko on The Price is Right. Just have to know where to hit the ball, thats all

"You couldn't land a wedge on the green by the pin," Buffone said. "I had wedge in on one par 4. I hit it 80 yards short of the green and it ran up pin high.

And whats the problem with not being able to hit a wedge onto the green? Maybe play a golf ball that spins more...But glad to see he figured out how to properly play the shot by the time he landed one 80 yards short and let it run up.

"You'd hit a shot and couldn't see where it landed. You're waiting for people to clap. On the first hole, I had a 5-iron in and picked a target 15 yards right of the flag. I hit it right of that but it bounced left and down a hill. I had a 60-yard shot coming back up. I throw the shot into the side of the hill and figure, 'That's gonna be close.' Fifteen seconds later I'm coming up the hill and see the ball coming back to me."

Sounds like two less than well executed shots to me. Whats the Tom Doak quote someone here has on their footer? Sorry for testing you so thoroughly

The chaos had begun. But Buffone had two birdies, including one on the 227-yard par-3 ninth.

"I hit it way left off the tee, over the crowd and I can't see the flag over the hill," Buffone said. "I hit a wedge to the far side of the green, and I've got a long putt. My caddie (Ryan Hewson) says, 'If you make this, it's one of the top five up-and-downs in U.S. Amateur history.' And I make this bomb of a putt. The crowd erupts. It was pure luck, but it made my U.S. Amateur experience."

Just because you cannot stick a wedge does not mean that it is a lottery...

PCCraig

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
Re: fescue at WS

I played there the summer before the first PGA and the fairways were basically all sand - the grass was almost completely gone. We were told that there was not much snow cover during the winter, which failed to keep the grass warm enough and it died. I have no idea whether this is true or not but that's what we were told. If it's true I'm sure that had an impact in the decision to switch grasses.

That's interesting because Erin Hills is trying to grow fescue fairways in almost the same climate...we'll see how that goes in the US Am next year. I played up there last weekend and the fairways were cut at about 2-3"...I'm assuming to let the grass set properly.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
I watched the last couple hours of TV Coverage yesterday and I have to admit I was blown away by how great the course looked and played. The Am's seemed to take the super firm conditions in stride, and I laughed thinking about how much the pros would complain about playing in similar conditions.

I still love how a train runs right through the property and those old concrete bridge foundations were left there...very, very cool IMO. After watching the course just bumped up a few spots in the personal "I've got to go play there" list.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
I still love how a train runs right through the property and those old concrete bridge foundations were left there...very, very cool IMO. ...

That brought a smile to my face thinking about a bridge across Puget Sound.

They are remnants of sorting bins from when they were mining sand and gravel there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
A nice write up about yesterday's matches...

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/golf/2010/08/26/u-s-amateur-divots-day-3-recap-and-todays-2-for-1-action/

I think I strongly agree with this sentiment:

As far the altered set-up – the USGA shaved off more than 700 yards off Chambers Bay on Wednesday for the first round – the move got mixed reviews. The golfers were certainly satisfied to see that the course had been softened up in its preparation, but I wasn't convinced they were all that glad that birdies could be had out there.

In essence, the setup favored the long hitters (Patrick Reed, for example), and eliminated the grinders (nine of 10 mid-amateurs were beaten).

I think the yesterday's setup really favored big bombers and many of the top collegiate players advanced because of it.

I don't think that is necessarily a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:41:03 PM by Richard Choi »

PCCraig

« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
I still love how a train runs right through the property and those old concrete bridge foundations were left there...very, very cool IMO. ...

They are remnants of sorting bins from when they were mining sand and gravel there.

Same thing... :)
H.P.S.

Tom Yost

« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »

RJ, they had to patch in some turf for some problem areas, but that is not what you are seeing on TV. They also cover the area that they are trying to grow with a large blanket overnight. I believe it helps with moisture retension and it leaves the area very green and that is what you are seeing on TV.

The area that was particularly noticeable (on TV) was on the east side of the #16 green.  Looked like patched turf to me but maybe it is as you describe.  Check that out for us.

Richard Choi

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
I was there yesterday for most of the afternoon and I know which patch you are talking about. The actual turf replacements are larger and more irregular in shape than what you see. What you are seeing is just greener grass via the blanket.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

Just a couple hours ago the commentators (Gary Koch, I think was one) on the Golf Channel's telecast said they hated the concrete structures and hoped they'd get rid of them before the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay.  I disagree.  I've seen them in person from the train and seen them again on TV.  They need to stay.

Steve Lang

« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
 8)  some folks probably want to tear them down to provide room for hospitality tents to line the 18th.. to give it the real "pro event feel"
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2010, 09:42:54 AM »

Just a couple hours ago the commentators (Gary Koch, I think was one) on the Golf Channel's telecast said they hated the concrete structures and hoped they'd get rid of them before the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay.  I disagree.  I've seen them in person from the train and seen them again on TV.  They need to stay.

Actually, Dan Hicks initiated the conversation and coaxed Koch into agreeing with him.  I think Koch actually likes them.  He seems to know quite a bit about architecture and really talks up the players who are playing the "correct" shots by running them in. 

Richard Choi

Richard Choi

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »

Tom Yost

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
Rich, have you seen yourself on TV yet?

Tom Yost

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
There is something that the commentators keep saying... (paraphrasing) "These young players aren't familiar with links golf or the shots needed to play a links style golf course."   While true, I don't think it has anything to do with age because I would bet 95% of all (young and old) American golfers are unfamilar with this type of golf. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back