News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro closing for the summer?
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
I played yesterday at the Saguaro course at WeKoPa and was again reminded of why it is among, if not the, best course I have played in Arizona. Just a wonderful test of golf, with excellent holes and dramatic views.

However, as I talked with the bag attendant after my round, he mentioned that they will be closing the course down soon as they want to put in a new strain of grass on the greens. He didn't have any details beyond that. Seems a shame to me, if it's true. The greens were actually in fantastic shape, they were firm and rolled true (most of the course was the same way though there were a few locations that were a little over-watered).

Anyone have any further info on this?

A.G._Crockett

Re: We-Ko-Pa Saguaro closing for the summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
Matthew,
I think we must have been there the same day; Monday, 5/31?  I was with a group of 17 buddies; we played Cholla in the morning and Saguaro in the afternoon, first time I had seen either course.  I loved Cholla, but was absolutely blown away by Saguaro!  Just a wonderful, wonderful golf course in every respect.

I didn't hear anything about it closing, but there is no reason I would have.  But with the heat coming, if they are going to close this would be the time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
Matthew,
I think we must have been there the same day; Monday, 5/31?  I was with a group of 17 buddies; we played Cholla in the morning and Saguaro in the afternoon, first time I had seen either course.  I loved Cholla, but was absolutely blown away by Saguaro!  Just a wonderful, wonderful golf course in every respect.

I didn't hear anything about it closing, but there is no reason I would have.  But with the heat coming, if they are going to close this would be the time.

Both are excellent courses and though both are very much in the desert style they are otherwise quite different from each other--makes for a nice contrast. I don't get out too much as it's a long drive for me (or anyone who doesn't live in Fountain Hills, really) but if Saguaro does close for the summer I'll be sad. I play most of my golf in the hot months!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »
I had this e-mail in my in-box this morning from We-Ko-Pa:

Saguaro Course Closure

The Saguaro course will close for approximately two months beginning on Monday, June 28th.  During this period all putting surfaces will be converted to a new ultra- dwarf bermuda called "Mini Verde".  This selection is the latest in the fine textured bermuda grasses and will dramatically improve our putting surfaces and speeds during all subsequent summer months.  We trust that you will view this closure as We-Ko-Pa's continuing commitment to provide the finest of turf conditions.

Please do not hesitate to contact the We-Ko-Pa staff or management should you wish additional information or details concerning any of the topics in this summer bulletin.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
I had this e-mail in my in-box this morning from We-Ko-Pa:

Saguaro Course Closure

The Saguaro course will close for approximately two months beginning on Monday, June 28th.  During this period all putting surfaces will be converted to a new ultra- dwarf bermuda called "Mini Verde".  This selection is the latest in the fine textured bermuda grasses and will dramatically improve our putting surfaces and speeds during all subsequent summer months.  We trust that you will view this closure as We-Ko-Pa's continuing commitment to provide the finest of turf conditions.

Please do not hesitate to contact the We-Ko-Pa staff or management should you wish additional information or details concerning any of the topics in this summer bulletin.

Wow; I was there this week and the greens were superb.  They weren't especially quick, but they were quite good.  If the new greens are significantly quicker than the current ones, Saguaro will be really tough.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »
Matthew,

Both are excellent courses and though both are very much in the desert style they are otherwise quite different from each other--makes for a nice contrast. I don't get out too much as it's a long drive for me (or anyone who doesn't live in Fountain Hills, really) but if Saguaro does close for the summer I'll be sad. I play most of my golf in the hot months!

I agree about the contrast; the two courses are completely different.  Cholla seemed to me to be a true desert course; Saguaro much less so.  My group to a man liked Saguaro better (including several guys who care nothing for GCA), but all were very impressed by Cholla as well.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
fyi-just got an email:

We are excited to announce the re-opening of the Saguaro course, Friday, September 3rd!  The summer heat, monsoon showers and the outstanding care from our turf maintenance team has done wonders for the new "mini verde" putting surfaces.

The Saguaro course has been closed since June 29th due to the regrassing of the greens with this new ultra-dwarf bermuda grass.  Without play on the golf course for the last sixty days, the tee boxes & fairways are in lush condition as well.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back