News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Finding Train and Travel Records
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »
I am posting an open question to anyone who might be able to help.  I am looking to track down some train and travel records for the late 1920's and early 1930's.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very much appreciative.  Thanks.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Finding Train and Travel Records
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
Where did this traveling occur? Was it international? (e.g. - Buffalo to Montreal)

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:01:48 AM »
Phil,

It occurred to and from Grand Rapids, Michigan.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
JC,

There are numerous vendors who sell old time tables.  Buy a copy of Trains or Railfan and Railroad magazine and look at the ads to develop a nice list.  Or just Google "railroad timetables (XXX railroad)" and you will probably get a nice list as well, narrowed down to those railroads that served Grand Rapids.

I doubt that individual ticket records exist.  If they do, they might be in university collections that you might have to go see personally as they are not digitized.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
JC,

Is the specific situation you are interested in involving international travel to Canada? Where exactly is the other end from Grand Rapids.

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
In the case of two books I relied upon various train records. For the Ross biography, I had access to Ross' own notes and travel logs via telegrams as well as ticket stubs and letters mentioning train times. I also went back to look at train routes.

With the Sebonack book, we used Long Island Rail Road records, maps, timetables, posters.

It's amazing how having that stuff in your hands helps you appreciate the conditions under which they worked.

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
I would love to know how this is going to get you access to Pine Valley
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
JC,

Is the specific situation you are interested in involving international travel to Canada? Where exactly is the other end from Grand Rapids.

The other end is Chicago.  I'm looking at Chicago to Grand Rapids and back again.

I am currently trying to figure out what lines were operating passenger trains on that route during that time period.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »
I would love to know how this is going to get you access to Pine Valley

This is but a small piece in the big puzzle.  It will all unfold in time, don't you worry.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
JC,

I will just reiterate that this info is readily available.  The most likely road between the two cities was the Pere Marquette.  Michigan Central, Pennsylvania and Grand Trunk may also have had service.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
JC,

I will just reiterate that this info is readily available.  The most likely road between the two cities was the Pere Marquette.  Michigan Central, Pennsylvania and Grand Trunk may also have had service.

Good deal.  Thanks for your help.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
I have been told by the head of the Pere Marquette Railroad Historical Society that there are no passenger logs prior to the 1940's.

David Lott

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
Very likely it was the Pere Marquette RR, which was merged into Chesapeake in the 1940's. You might call CHX to see if they have anything. The University of Michigan and Michigan State libraries may have info. It could be indexed and cataloged in areas that don't immediately have RR history in mind. It's also amazing what you sometimes find at the Smithsonian.

Chicago or Grand Rapids newspapers will be available at libraries and may have info.

Keep scanning the internet for old Pere Marquette schedules.

Try old ICC records (they must be somewhere) and see if Michigan had a railroad regulatory body at the time you are interested in.

Figure out who owned Pere Marquette at the time. They may have been rich and famous and have papers collected at some library or other.

Look on Lexis or Westlaw for info about Pere Marquette. Unlikely to have the schedules but there may be clues as to how to find them.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the info you seek is out there. But it's probably not indexed so neatly that it will fall into your lap.
David Lott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back