News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Voelker

Re: Photos of the Restoration - Pinehurst #2
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for that.  Without having been there, the scales are difficult to see.

If there is no intermediate cut for the Open, it would seem to represent the final stage of the shift in the USGA's strategy for course setup that started in some form in 1999 at Pinehurst.

Ben

Chris Buie

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
I was playing the underrated (and fun) little #1 Course yesterday and could see that the restoration is proceeding a little more expeditiously than I thought it would.  That was my impression anyway.  
The 11th hole is going to have some nice angles to it. 

You can see where they are going with the mild density of the wire grass.

12 is progressing along quite well.  The first photo is from a month ago - the second from yesterday.

And oh by the way, you may appreciate this photo of #1.  There are many, many interesting mound formations along the way.  Almost all are remnants from very early sand bunkers.  I'm glad (and surprised) they didn't flatten them out when they were ravaging improving the courses back in the 50's and 60's.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:29:26 PM by Chris Buie »

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:05 PM »
I had heard those sandy areas were supposed to have a build-up of pine needles (pine barrens (?)). How long will it take to get a good layer of pine needles along with the wire grass growth?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Chris Buie

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Oh, it won't take long at all to have a nice layer of pine straw going.  This fall should see that through pretty nicely. 
This relates to another aspect of the restoration.  I'm told tree thinning is not part of the current restoration project.  That is something I would like to see in the future.  As I said on another thread, I find hitting recovery shots from a thinned out areas to be vastly more interesting than just punching out to the fairway.  Trying to bend recovery shots through a thin strand of trees is something I quite enjoy.  Think about Mickelsons shot on 13 at ANGC this year.  I don't think anybody agreed with me on that thread but that is what I enjoy. 
Regarding the thinning of trees - here is an old aerial from the 30's of 11 and 12. 
What do you think - should they thin the trees in the future?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back