News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Has the PGA screwed up the Open rotation?
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
Future PGA Championships: 2015 at Whistling Straits. If the R&A wants to maintain their five year presence at St. Andrews that would mean that the 2015 grand slams evens would share the same venue three times as this years events. Chambers Bay would replace Pebble Beach.

Will either the R&A or the PGA blink? If so, which organization?

My take is that the PGA has gotten aggresive in locking up sites and is in competition with the US Open. They have just butted heads with the R&A. Don't know what Herb Kohler is thinking because he is involved both here and at St. Andrews. May sane heads prevail.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Has the PGA screwed up the Open rotation?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
What's the problem?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
Kyle,
History. Some people were wondering why the R&A didn't announce the venue of the 2015 Open as being at St. Andrews when this years event was held at TOC. They have returned every five years since 1990. Having Whistling Straits hosting the PGA in 2010 and 2015 might have influenced the R&A. That is my opinion and I'm purely guessing the two organizations might be talking. Sort of a "if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" mentality. I could have titled thread "The PGA has screwed up the Open rotation!".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:33:40 PM by Pete_Pittock »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
I get that the dates might match up...I guess I just don't see why there is anything negative about that.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
Man, the day that St. Andrews as British Open venue (enough of this THE Open, as if it were the only one) determines what others can do is the day that...well, the day that I get angry.  There is a piece on Herb Kohler (who owns half of St. Andrews, anyway) in Golf Digest, I think.  He discusses "the Club Pro Championship is a great event" as the first communication between him and the PGA regarding Straits.  Then, when they gave him the 2004 PGA, he said "that's a start...what about 2010, 2015 and the Ryder Cup in 2020?"  This was when the USGA was still considering Straits for a US Open.  Dye said, the course looks better in August and there is less rain than in June, so go with the PGA.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Pete,  
    Count your blessings-they could be taking it to a marginal course like Erin Hills or even worse Torey Pines!
                                                             Jack

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Pete P. -

I seriously doubt the R&A spends any time at all worrying about where the PGA is being held.

DT

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
Pete:

The R&A and PGA do their own things. Your theory is akin to the belief that there was a guy on the grassy knoll who shot JFK.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
Pete P. -

I seriously doubt the R&A spends any time at all worrying about where the PGA is being held.

DT

For once in my life I have to agree with David.

Don't worry David. It will be a long time before that will happen again. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Pete:

The R&A and PGA do their own things. Your theory is akin to the belief that there was a guy on the grassy knoll who shot JFK.
Wasn't there? Or was it Hugh Wilson across Ardmore avenue on the old second tee at Merion? ;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
Matt,
I rest my case.

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Pete-That would give us majors at Augusta National, Chambers Bay, The Old Course, and Whistling Straits. Seems like a good line-up. Would you rather see Augusta National, Torrey Pines, Royal Liverpool, and Valhalla?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Pete-That would give us majors at Augusta National, Chambers Bay, The Old Course, and Whistling Straits. Seems like a good line-up. Would you rather see Augusta National, Torrey Pines, Royal Liverpool, and Valhalla?

Any way we can get Augusta National out of the rota?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »

Any way we can get Augusta National out of the rota?

Well, I guess the 1500 of us could pool our money together and buy the rights to The Masters Tournament. The event itself, without the course, can't be worth more than $500 million or so... ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »
Pete, I interviewed both Mike Davis and Kerry Haigh and they both said there is definitely not any animosity or competition between the two bodies.  In fact, they are talking about trying to share/trade venues such as Oakland Hills and others.  They are in close contact all the time and know that there is a perception that the USGA is east coast west coast and the PGA is flyover states and they are trying to remedy that.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JESII

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »
And you believe that, Jay?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
Jay,
I'll take them at your word that is the current status. They should and must work together. When that allows a course to hold both a US Open and a PGA Championship will be proof. It'd be interesting to see how comparative the course setups are.

In reference to what Ronald Montesanto said in an earlier reply
"Man, the day that St. Andrews as British Open venue (enough of this THE Open, as if it were the only one) determines what others can do is the day that...well, the day that I get angry.  There is a piece on Herb Kohler (who owns half of St. Andrews, anyway) in Golf Digest, I think.  He discusses "the Club Pro Championship is a great event" as the first communication between him and the PGA regarding Straits.  Then, when they gave him the 2004 PGA, he said "that's a start...what about 2010, 2015 and the Ryder Cup in 2020?"  This was when the USGA was still considering Straits for a US Open.  Dye said, the course looks better in August and there is less rain than in June, so go with the PGA."
That is a good business practice for both the PGA and Mr. Kohler. Just pointing out that it may have had an unintended consequence in 2015, at least from my perspective. I remember media questioning why the R&A made no 2015 announcement when the Open concluded. I thought nothing of it then, saw the graphic today and wondered. 
Just suprised that no one agrees this is a possibililty.   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 01:18:25 AM »
Sully, Are you saying they are lying?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 01:56:52 AM »
If we leave The Ocean Course out since it has been 21 years since it hosted the PGA, and look at other courses seemingly in a 'rotation' for the PGA, I should say that Whistling Straits is most likely one of the top two PGA courses, along with Baltusrol. I should say that The Old Course is certainly viewed as one of the top two Open courses. I guess the jury is still out on Chambers as a major venue.

But I surely think those courses in 2015 are better than say, ANGC, Southern Hills, Royal Lytham and St. Annes, and Atlanta Athletic Club in 2001, or, looking forward, even next year with ANGC, Congressional (Blue), Royal St. Georges, and Atlanta Athletic.

Would you rather they play the PGA at PGA National or Sahalee again over Whistling Straits??

Martin Toal

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 03:36:08 AM »
Pete P. -

DT

Yep. The R&A could care less about the PGA Championship. Many R&A members probably don't even consider it a proper major.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 04:11:33 AM »
John,
I have no problem with the PGA at Whistling Straits.Where did I say that?  It is one of their best venues. 

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »
The PGA needs to get into the very top rank of courses if it wants to have a chance of being considered as important as the other 3 majors.  Oh, and go back to match play :)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
Jud, whose top rank?  The Pine Valley-Cypress Point-National Golf Links-LA CC North-Crystal Downs-Fishers Island or the Sand Hills-Ballyneal-Pacific/Bandon Dunes-The Golf Club-Friar's Head one?  How do you not conclude that the PGA is at top-ranked courses (or how do you conclude that it is not, if semantics matter?)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:31:15 AM »
Just seems to me that both the tournament and the courses it is often contended on are both just below the upper crust. Of course given WS ranking I guess you could argue otherwise.  And don't even get me started on Ryder cup venues.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
I dont think that the open will be held at st andrews in 2015. The 150th open championship will be held in 2022 I think an my guess is that they will wait untill 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back