News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Golf Trip to the USA...The Favourites Holes Lists
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:52 AM »
I have four lists below:
Check this previous thread for further trip details: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45444.0/

Favourite 18 holes (in no particular order and without Cypress)

Let me please emphasize the favourite part AND the IMHO part, I am looking for a fun golf hole first, great design second, wow factor third and condition fourth. These are my 18 favourite golf holes on this trip, not including Cypress Point as there would not be much room for anything else. I found it too difficult to put them in order, and taking out CPC was easier to cast the net over the other 11 courses.
My rating as I played the courses was firstly to award between 0-3 stars for each hole, then a tick (s) for tough or great strategic holes and  then 1-3 heart (s) if I loved it, every course had at least 1 x 3 heart holes; CPC has 7 x 3 hearts holes...Barnbougle 6.

Here is a my top 18 Favourite holes, in no particular order and no CPC holes.

1.   16 - Bandon Dunes P4
2.   18 - Sand Hills P4
3.   7 - SFGC “Duel” P3
4.   7 – Ballyneal P4
5.   4 – Bandon Dunes P4
6.   8 – Ballyneal P5
7.   8 – Sand Hills P4
8.   14 – Sand Hills P5
9.   4 - Sand Hills P4
10.   4 - Pac Dunes P4
11.   7 – Old Mac - Ocean P4
12.   18 – Old Mac – Punchbowl P4
13.   2 – Bandon Trails P3
14.   15 – Bandon Trails P4
15.   16 – Pasatiempo P4
16.   7 – Pebble P3
17.   1 – Spyglass P5
18.   10 – Riv P4
NO Cypress Point

My Favourite holes in order of the routing, I found this really difficult, as they are all fabulous holes, so a “/” separates a tie and a “ – “ for 2nd or 3rd places.

Favourite 1-18 by routing:

1.   Sand Hill P5 - Spyglass Hill P5
2.   Bandon Trails P3- Sand Hills (Back Left tee) P4
3.   Pacific Dunes P5
4.   Spyglass P4
5.   Old Mac P3 – Pac Dunes P3– RivieraP4
6.   Riviera P3
7.   Ballyneal P4/SFGC Duel P3 – Old Mac Ocean P4- Pebble P3
8.   Sand Hills P4– Ballyneal P5/Cypress Point P4 – SFGC P4
9.   Cypress Point P4– SFGC P5
10.   Riviera P4 - Pac Dunes P3 – Ballyneal P4
11.    Pacific Dunes P3 - Pasatiempo P4 – Sand Hills P4
12.   Bandon Dunes P3–SFGC P4
13.   Cypress Point P4 – Bandon Trails P4- Riviera P4
14.   Sand Hills P5– Old Macdonald P4– Ballyneal P4
15.   Cypress Point P3 – Bandon Trails P4 – Ballyneal P3/Sand Hills P4
16.   Pasatiempo P4/Cypress Point P3/Bandon Dunes P4  – Spyglass P4
17.   Cypress Point P4 - Pebble P3/Sand Hills P3
18.   Sand Hills P4/Old Macdonald P4 – Pebble Beach P5- SFGC P5

The Cypress Point List
CPC was my favourite course I visited - actually it is now the bench mark and the best I have experienced. Beating Ballybunion, North Berwick, RCD, Lahinch, TOC, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle Dunes, Sand Hills, Old Macdonald & .........

Taking out any holes that were not in my 2^^ love it category and replacing them with holes from other courses on the trip – perhaps a bit silly  ::), but I still found this really challenging. Kept the same Par.

1.   3* Bandon Trails #15
2.   2* CPC
3.   3* CPC
4.   3* Bandon Dunes #16
5.   3* Ballyneal #8
6.   3* Old Macdonald #18 Punchbowl
7.   3* San Francisco GC #7 Duel
8.   3* CPC
9.   3* CPC
10.   2* San Francisco GC #9
11.   2* CPC
12.   3*  Ballyneal #7
13.   3* CPC
14.   3* Pasatiempo #16 
15.   3* CPC
16.   3* CPC
17.   3* CPC
18.   3* Sand Hills #18

Just for some semblance of understanding  for TD and others that are interested in a comparison to Barnbougle Dunes, here is my rating of this course that I play a lot and is my favourite course here in Australia.

Stars ***for quality /3
 ^^^ for  love it out of /3

Barnbougle Dunes list  ;D

1.   ***
2.   ** 0.5
3.   ***  2^^
4.   ***  3^^^
5.   ***  1^
6.   ***  3^^^
7.   ***  3^^^
8.   ***  2^^
9.   ***  2^^
10.   ***  3^^^
11.   *** 
12.   ***  2^^
13.   ***  2^^
14.   ***  2^^
15.   ***  3^^^
16.   **0.5
17.   ***  3^^^
18.   ***  2^^

Cheers
BM
@theflatsticker

Jim Franklin

Re: Golf Trip to the USA...The Favourites Holes Lists
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »
No love for Bandon Dunes #5? That was my favorite hole there. I agree on #7 Old Mac, I loved that hole (very cool ways to play with the wind). You should do a routing of 1-18 with just the Bandon resort holes. There have been other threads with favorite holes by number, but I always find it to be a fun exercise.

Looks like you had a fantastic trip to the states.
Mr Hurricane

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
Brett

I notice a lack of PB holes amongst your favourite 18's ?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
I liked #17 at Bandon Trails more than #2...what did you find so enchanting about #2?  Come to think of it, #2 would be 4th on my list of par 3 holes at Bandon Trails!!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 02:29:38 AM »
Jim:
Yes, I really liked #5 BD, didn't play it well, not that that matters; since my playing partner had been there he said much of the gorse had been removed. But I preferred #4 and #16 as my 2 favourite Holes at BD.
I like the idea of a 1-18 routing - will have a crack at it. (my playing partner and new poster here - sure he will do one also)

KP:
I could only get 7,17,18 as my 3 favourites at Pebble - but surely 3 holes out of 18 is pretty good, and they all made it thru to the lists. But with the quality of the other 11 courses I played, I just didn't really feel the love for Pebble, particularly if I break it up into individual holes, and if I were to be honest, I am not sure that those 3 are that solid. The only course I have no desire to go back to play again. (except to maybe find something that everyone else seems to love)

Ronald:
the enchantment began late one evening - maybe 6pm ish, we headed out to BT after 36 at Old Mac, playing off the back tees, #1 looked fantastic in the setting sun and tall rough weaving in the wind, as we walked to the next tee on Bandon Trails - the sun was only hitting the rear 1/3 of the green, and the pin was back, all but the green was visible from the tee box, with 3 & 4 holes in the distance, it just seemed beautiful and for a P3 of about 210 yards, I think that is a tough combo to pull off, pretty and long. Giant Pine backdrop and long shallow bunker Left, tall golden rough and sandy lies on the dune down the right, it just seemed to set up really well, loved it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:31:55 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:31:37 AM »
Pebble - The only course I have no desire to go back to play again.

Preach it, brother!   ;D

Seriously, there are a lot of lists there Brett. Could you do a list of your favourite holes from a course with Dunes in the name.

Actually, it sounds like you had a great trip. Well done.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
No #8 at Pebble? What didn't you like about it? Did you look back up the fairway from the green?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
No #8 at Pebble? What didn't you like about it? Did you look back up the fairway from the green?

I agree. Probably the best #8 out there.
Mr Hurricane

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Brett,
you MacKenzie whore, you.

(Welcome to the Club!!!!!!!)

Just reading your Travelogue is making me desperate to visit the Peninsula again.

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
Marty:
Yes, have a great appreciation for the good doctor... but loved the small amount of work I saw of Thomas, Tillinghast,  and of course the new guys work can be a little more accessible, and it may sound strange, but I feel like I have seen Macdonald's work as well after Old Mac - is that a reasonable ?

I was trying to balance the new Doaks and C&C with as many of the Golden Age as possible in planning itinerary along with logistics.

FBD?
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back