News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Re: The best course in Naples, FL
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2001, 03:46:53 AM »
John:

Fair point.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2002, 10:35:06 AM »
Shooter I was wainting for your comments on Hole in the Wall.  The general feeling toward golf in Naples i correct if you don't have access to the private courses.  Public golf is very plain.

archie struthers

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2002, 01:50:20 PM »
8)

Having spent just a little time in Naples since the mid 80's I am amazed at the growth of the area. The traffic can really get bad.

I played The Hideout last year with my friend Paul Koelling, who is a member. I enjoyed three days of fast, fun golf, and was treated impeccably by the staff. Knowing that two of the principals in the club, Mo and Larry Kent,are traditionalists and true lovers of golf, I am not surprised that they eschewed many of the trappings of development in their club.

Kelly Moran was rumored to be the second architect on the job, but I don't know detail. However  I was impressed with his work on the Hideout, particularly the simplicity of design, and variety of shots that were called for. Only number eighteen seemed a little forced, (no room to hit your tee shot) and I hear it has been softened. The firm and fast feel we like, so absent in Florida, is ever present at the Hideout, and the par threes range in distance from short to medium long, which is good. Sure, there are some rocks, boulders and the like that were imported in , but this is Florida, and it workd much better here.

Not knowing all the Naples courses, I can't even begin to say which is the best, but the Hideout is fun, and well thought out, and I really enjoyed my time there!

Will E

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2002, 04:14:01 PM »
Cos,
I didn't get back to see Hole in the Wall due to a rare bad weather day. I played HITW 10 years ago before the restoration. I'm interested to see what happened. As you know it's a Dick Wilson design with lots of old Naples big bucks. 10 years ago the course was a good cure for insomnia, tight, short, boring,  no "cool" Wilson bunkering at all.

I did however play Wyndermere and Bear's Paw, great examples of Art Hills and Jack Nicklaus before they learned how to use mounding to ruin their designs. Wyndereme is worth playing just because they have the BEST putting surfaces in FL. Before Seminole redid their greens they went to Wynd to find out what they did. I haven't seen any greens this good down here.
Bear's Paw is a long Nicklaus course that you'd never recognize as Nicklaus. (No mounding and flat bunkers)

I love Naples even though it lacks a course ranking above 7 on the Doak Scale.

Paul Richards

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2002, 05:52:08 PM »
shivas:

Good description of Olde Florida.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2002, 10:04:25 AM »
Shooter,
Hole in the Wall was stripprd back to its underwear about three years ago.  I would probably agree that there is very little Wilson Bunkering left with the exception of #13.  A very good short Par 4 with serious protection along the left side.  

I don't think I would be quite a harsh as your  insomnia comment, but would agree that, like other South Florida golf, interest must come from environmental conditions (wind etc.) than elevation change.  

The rework removed many of the offending trees and improved the firmnes of the fairways.  

If you make it back I would be interested your opinions on the changes.

Will E

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2002, 05:18:05 PM »
UPDATE FROM SW FL

Calusa Pines- Dana Fry
The best course in Naples that I've played.
A limestone volcano created to add elevation changes, bunkering that would make Mike Young cringe (maintenance must be a fortune), fast greens with excellent shaping and chipping areas well thought out, great  routing, a very cool redan par 3. A must see, extreme strategy.

Fiddlers Creek- Art Hills
This is the closest I've seen to good work from Mr.Hill's group. With the exception of a few of the green complexes and a couple of poor holes (2,18) this is a very good course and actually requires some thought. The setting is great and I was pleasantly surprized.

The other courses I played on this trip are not worthy of mention. I did get back to Kensington (RTJ Jr.), it needs a bunker clean up, but still is a fun course.

Will E

Re:The best course in Naples, FL
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »
fyi

james soper

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2003, 10:23:28 AM »
calusa pines is actually the work of hurzdan and fry. membership is pricey (heard 150 or 250 large). shooters assessment of the course is right on. any word about  old collier- ultra exclusive fazio. looking forward to playing the hideout and hole in the wall in a month or so. will give some details on the hole.

Doug Wright

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2003, 12:10:03 PM »
Shooter et al,

The family and I are looking at a spring break trip to SW Fla next year. Aside from Tiburon, which I'm familiar with, which of the courses discussed above are resort/public and do you have any thoughts about quality resorts with/without golf in this area?

Many thanks,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bruce Katona

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2003, 12:49:01 PM »
Archie Struthers: send me an e-mail when you have a minute.  I would like to chat for a minute if you have it to catch up.

Bruce Katona

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2003, 01:10:54 PM »
What about Calusa Pines?  Isn't that near Naples?  I've heard it's excellent.  

If I missed commentary on it earlier in the thread please forgive me.  Just curious about CP.

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2003, 03:04:11 PM »
Naples National
Calusa Pines
Olde Florida
CC of the Everglades
The Hideout
Royal Poinciana
Olde Cypress
Colliers Reserve
Old Collier
Bay Colony
Private but accesible to one degree or another

You should also try

Twin Eagles
Wyndemere
Valencia
Windstar
The Beach Club
CC of Naples
and for a fine Joe Lee layout that lacks conditioning but putts very well, Golden Gate

In spite of all of the complaints, we manage to have fun and play at some pretty nice tracks down here.

Steve
Naples

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2003, 02:44:32 PM »
For those in the know -- I am just curious to see how those who have played a good sampling of courses in the Naples would rate them from a statewide perspective?

Would any Naples courses merit a top ten or top twenty position? Is the golf really t-h-a-t much better than what you generally find in SE Florida. Thanks for the info. ;)

Odd_Job

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2003, 08:45:49 PM »
Has anyone played Old Collier?  I would be interested in a review.

Apparently this is an expensive club to join ($260K) and they use a salt tolerant grass called Seashore Paspalum for all playing surfaces. It is interesting that the club can use brackish water to irrigate.   The salt content in the irrigation water kills off the weeds.  

Sounds like an interesting turf development that is enviromentally friendly.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2003, 09:14:24 PM »
The two best public I've played are Valencia and The Beach Club. Valencia is particularily good, with some good strategy and low profile, and relatively treeless. No excessive carries over water and, so far, no houses! I believe this is a Gordon Lewis design. He has done Arrowhead (fair), The Strand (good), Cypress Woods (cramped), Stoneybrook (fair), Hunters Ridge (horrid) and Royal Palm (good).

The Beach Club is a circa 1930 design with native live oak and banyan trees. Easily walked, good fun to play, and relatively cheap (50-120, best in offseason).

Fiddler's Creek is the best private, with some original design and an unbelievable facility.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

SB

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2003, 10:31:47 AM »
On the daily fee side, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lely Flamingo.  Solid, fun RTJ.  A little fluffy at times, but beats the heck out of everything else.

I also like the Classics course there.  No houses yet, good flow to the holes, a little manufactured, but not too much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back