News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Re: Rock Creek photo tour - all 18 holes
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
I would agree with David that Paul's "high noon" pictures don't seem to do justice to the place, and you have to look hard for the contours because of the flattening effect of photos, anyway.

I think there is enough there to make it very enticing and intriguing, and I hope to visit before too long.

JC Jones

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
I think David M's photo is as compelling of a photo of a course that I have seen on here. 

One thing I am a sucker for is a course where the fairway mounds and the surrounding mounds all fit together as well as fit with the larger landscape.  I think that is the epitome of "naturalism" architecture and there is certainly no one better than Tom Doak and his crew at accomplishing this "look."
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Gene Greco

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
I would agree with David that Paul's "high noon" pictures don't seem to do justice to the place, and you have to look hard for the contours because of the flattening effect of photos, anyway.

I sent Tom D. an IM stating that many pics posted of Sand Hills on GCA over the years have not come close to translating its majesty and feel that the same might be occuring in this instance as well.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
my pictures do not fully capture how special RCC is....i shall use some of your comments to help justify a better camera to my wife - seriously!  thanks guys..

of course if she has concerns, i might be asking some of you for back up support ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
It looks like RC3 has a lot of variety?

Is that one of its strengths?

At least on the longer holes, it appears from the photos like there is a mix of downhill, flat and uphill approaches - and also some different views on the drives as well?

Where do you all put this in the pantheon?

Rob,
Good observations--the variety is excellent. The greens are varied and always interesting, the approaches are varied, you have some drives that are in front of you, others that are pretty blind, some in between, its just a wonderful place to play. I'd have to think its in the five modern courses in the USA and perhaps around #10 overall--certainly not much worse than that. Its my favorite modern course, but I haven't played all the main candidates.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
In addition, Scott Burroughs picture of #11 shows more of the contours on the far side of the fairway. I know each of my tee shots went through the fairway and I had blind second shots to an elevated green.

I will stick to my conclusion that RCCC is the best course built since 1960 and arguably the funnest course I have played. Pictures do not do the course justice. The setting is wonderful, the fairway movement is terrific, and the green sites are a blast. Give me a private jet, and I will pick up Shivas and we will head to Deer Lodge, Montana, thanks.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »
To add, I just got back from 8 rounds at Bandon (3 Old Mac, 3 Pac Dunes, and 1 at each of the others) and I would still fly to RCCC first. I loved Old Mac, but there is something about the course at RCCC and the setting that makes the place so special. Photos do not do the course justice as many have said.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
Jim:

Ten rounds of play -- you split between Rock Creek and Olde Macdonald.

What's the result ?

p.s. I've played Rock Creek and really enjoyed it -- the pics only show a peak of what's visible to the eye itself.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »
Matt -

Great question. I really loved Old Macdonald as well so I would go with a 6-4 split in favor of RCCC. But that would be a fun dilemma to have. Both courses are superb and just fun to play.
Mr Hurricane

Paul Nash

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
Unbelievably stunning looking course - one of the nicest I have seen reviewed on here

Jim Franklin

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
Matt -

In case you did not see my reply as it is now on Page 1, I would do 6-4 in favor of RCCC versus Old Mac. Both are fun. You need to get out to Bandon and check out Old Mac.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
Jim:

I hope to be at Bandon later this month and play Olde Macdonald.

Do agree w you on Rock Creek -- the course has the goods -- save for the final hole which I don't see at the same level as the ones that precede it. Despite that -- the place is simply first rate and is right up there with any of the top tier courses routinely written about here.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »
Jim:

I hope to be at Bandon later this month and play Olde Macdonald.

Do agree w you on Rock Creek -- the course has the goods -- save for the final hole which I don't see at the same level as the ones that precede it. Despite that -- the place is simply first rate and is right up there with any of the top tier courses routinely written about here.

UnFu&$ing believeable.

YOU ARE STILL banging on the 18th hole, Ward???  Get a clue!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Michael:

My comments are my opinoins. If you don't like then -- ignore them.

I loved the place and concur with Jim on it's overall position with the other stellar layouts we have here in the USA.

I just don't see the 18th in the same vein as the holes that precede it.

To use your phrase - get a clue.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
It's all good. I do not have a problem with #18 like Matt does. I agree it is not as strong as the other par 5s there, but so what. It gives the good player a chance to hit it in two and feel pretty good when leaving.

Matt - I will be curious to hear you assessment of Old Macdonald. It is a true blast to play also. I hope you get a chance to play it in different wind conditions too. One my favorite shots I hit there was on the Road hole #11. From 170 I hit a low draw 4 iron that went around the road hole bunker and ended up 3 feet from the hole in the back left corner. Fun shot.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for your comments.

I don't loathe the 18th at Rock Creek -- just don't see it at the same level of holes that precede it. The 16th (wow, what a hole) and the par-3 17th are well done -- especially the 16th. Rock Creek has plenty of others that are really well done -- the tumbling downhill par-5 10th is one of them.

I'm looking forward to playing Olde Macdonald -- I do have an extra day so maybe I can catch different wind patterns.

Curious to know -- unrelated to RC -- how do you split ten rounds between OM and PD ?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
Since we just did 8 rounds at Bandon (3 OM, 3 PD, 1 BD, 1 BT), I would split them 5 and 5. Both are fabulous and different feels to them. The green sizes at OM are incredible and will test your accuracy and touch when you get to the green. I would go with 5 and 5.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »
Jim:

If forced to place them in order of YOUR preference -- how would you place the following ...

Sand Hills
Ballyneal
Rock Creek
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Trails
Olde Macdonald
Bandon Dunes

thanks ....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
Okay, if forced to place....

1. Rock Creek
2. Sand Hills
3. Pacific Dunes
3. Old Macdonald
5. Ballyneal
6. Bandon Dunes
7. Bandon Trails

The first 5 are in my personal top 20.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
Jim:

No doubt an impressive listing and I share your feelings for all of them -- looking forward to Olde Macdonald. Glad I read Dream Golf recently to get the full flavor.

Jim, what elements of Rock Creek surprised you in a positive way ?

Few other questions ...

Best hole you liked ?

Most underrated hole ?

Overrated hole ?

thanks,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »
Matt:

There is no "i" in team, and there is no "e" in Old Macdonald.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back