News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

The Sagebrush Experience
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
Part of the enjoyment in visiting new courses is in the overall experience. While I love golf architecture, I also enjoy travel and the opportunity to see and experience different things.  A visit to Sagebrush is like being in a different country.  

Sagebrush is located in the Nicola Valley, about 180 miles northeast of Vancouver.  The nearest town of any size is Merritt, population of around 6,000 & “The Country Music Capital of Canada.”  Rather than staying in the city, we opted for accomodations 15 miles away & adjacent to Sagebrush in Quilchena.  

Quilchena Ranch is located on Nicola Lake and includes a hotel, general store, RV park, and 9 hole golf course along with a 70,000 acre cattle ranch.  That may sound big, but neighboring Douglas Lake Cattle Ranch (once owned by Bernie Ebbers) is more than a half-million acres!

The Quilchena hotel dates back to 1908 and offers a variety of adjacent facilities.  

While we drove out there, the braver golfer might just fly in.  That's the runway in the second photo.

I didn’t get a chance to check out the hotel’s nine hole course.  I’m suggesting it be called the Marmot Ranch (even though I didn’t see any marmots around there).  You can see some of Sagebrush up on the hill behind.  Note the green irrigation system.

They are building a new clubhouse.

From Sagebrush looking down.

The entrance to Sagebrush is just up the road.

The only yardages you will see on the course.

A tee marker.

I really liked the tee signs with sage-colored paint.

The logo looks great on the bright red flags.  

There are fences and gates through part of the course.  The gates can be closed off for moving cattle though.

Matt Bosela has already posted photos of The Hideout, so I’ll only post a couple.  Note the stylish pump house on the other side of the pond.

From the pump house looking back.  

Always nice when you can look up and see an eagle soaring overhead.

Not the view of sagebrush that you want!

What a place!

Chip Gaskins

Re: The Sagebrush Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
John

You continue to out do yourself.  That place looks magical.

Did you fly into Vancouver and drive?

Chip
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:44:04 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
Wowser. 
Fantastic.
Wonderful.

How the heck did I miss this one?

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »
Part of the enjoyment in visiting new courses is in the overall experience. While I love golf architecture, I also enjoy travel and the opportunity to see and experience different things.  A visit to Sagebrush is like being in a different country.  

Actually, John, it is in another country.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
"like" defines it as Canadian.
John,
A round with you is always a pleasure.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »
Chip,
Thanks.  I flew into Vancouver and Bob Jenkins provided door to door service.  We went up and stayed a couple of nights at his Predator Ridge cottage (played both the Furber & Carrick courses there) and then drove back down to Sagebrush.  The Kamloops airport is a little over an hour away, but would have required two connecting flights. 

Dan,
A bunch of people should be saying the same thing.  If it makes you feel any better, it did rain on us.

A.W., Esq,
Very sharp-eyed of you.

Pete,
I was really glad we got to play together.  Too long since Athens CC.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
The drive from Vancouver up to the Okanagan Valley is pretty epic and well worth it.

Looks like the course is really green eh? Have they been getting a lot of rain?

I recall from Matt's photos that it tends to play a lot more "brown" which is very cool.

The travels of Mayhugh are always very impressive!

Ted Harris

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
Thanks for posting some cool photos John

I forgot to bring my camera but luckily there are enough great photographs on this site to remind me that I would like to get back to Sagebrush as soon as possible.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
The drive from Vancouver up to the Okanagan Valley is pretty epic and well worth it.

Looks like the course is really green eh? Have they been getting a lot of rain?

I recall from Matt's photos that it tends to play a lot more "brown" which is very cool.

The travels of Mayhugh are always very impressive!

Rob,

They have received way more than their share of rain this year, especially in the spring.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:53:23 AM »

Looks like my kind of place.I enjoy your threads John.The way you blend in local attraction and relate them to the total golfing experiences shows passion.Well done again.

Anthony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
The marmot Ranch...pretty special.  Bandon has the Sheep Ranch so I think it only fair that Sagebursh has the Marmot Ranch.

Sagebrush was an amazing place.  Thank you Bob for a wonderful time.

Chris Buie

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
Nice thread John.  Love the local color perspective.  That tends to play into the overall enjoyment of the day to one degree or another, I think.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
The best part of the experience was that I got away without being hugged by Jordan this time.  ;D

I also said some very nice things to Jordan for a change. Unfortunately, I don't think he was in a state that will let him remember them.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Anthony & Chris,
Thanks.  I hope at least one or two people get inspired to go and see for themselves.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

It was great to have all of you up there this week. After driving back down to Vancouver Tuesday evening, I was back up and played Sagebrush on Thursdays with some family from Seattle (members at Sahalee) and they loved it too. Also loved the old hotel.

The temperature yesterday at Sagebrush was in the 80s for you US boys and is higher today sunny, warm and clear predicted for the next week. Today there was not a cloud in the sky, as it is normally.

It as great meeting some of you and if at al possible, I would be pleased to get more GCAers up there before the season ends, which is likely mid-October.

Bob J

Frank M

Re: The Sagebrush Experience New
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
If all is well I will be experiencing Sagebrush Aug 31 and Bob Jenkins should be coming out .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 07:13:52 PM by Frank M »

John Mayhugh

Re: The Sagebrush Experience New
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
Though these photos aren't from Sagebrush, they were part of the overall travel experience.  Both were taken at Predator Ridge.  I'll try to post something from each course in a separate thread.

In case you've never seen a marmot.

I was shocked to see these guys.  I thought all of them had moved to the USA.  Immigration reform perhaps?  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:35:06 PM by John Mayhugh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back