News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Best Meal Experience on a Golf Course
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
I am about to go way OT, so I apologize in advance.

Kobe Beef Hamburger. There is an item that always made me go "WHAT???"

The whole allure of Kobe Beef is its outrageous fat to protein ratio. It is so well marbled, it literally melts during cooking providing wonderful texture and flavor. But once you ground meat into hamburger, what does it matter? You can control how much fat/protein is in hamburger meat by just adding more fat or meat. You can create hamburger that has even higher fat content than Kobe beef.

Am I missing something? Why would you pay extra for Kobe Beef Hamburger?

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
Halfway house-Monterey Peninsula Country Club

End of discussion--best location, best view, best meal, particularly with the incomparable host at one's side...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
I am about to go way OT, so I apologize in advance.

Kobe Beef Hamburger. There is an item that always made me go "WHAT???"

The whole allure of Kobe Beef is its outrageous fat to protein ratio. It is so well marbled, it literally melts during cooking providing wonderful texture and flavor. But once you ground meat into hamburger, what does it matter? You can control how much fat/protein is in hamburger meat by just adding more fat or meat. You can create hamburger that has even higher fat content than Kobe beef.

Am I missing something? Why would you pay extra for Kobe Beef Hamburger?

Richard,  I can't answer your question about the "how".  All I can say is that all five of us said it was the best hamburger we ever ate.  At the time I ate it, I had no idea what Kobe beef was so I was not expecting anything special.   I still don't know very much about it.  All I know is that hamburger may be the best one ever made.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
PS - the homemade potato chiips at Merion are fantastic.

Tim Book

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
Arrogant bastard and hard boiled eggs.  Mmmm.

There was a whole lot of hype regarding Stone Brewery this past spring when it was going to be sold for the first time in Chicago. Had a couple of their brews on tap and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. How big is it out west?

Pat, Stone is pretty big in northern SD.  Great restaurant as well.  San Diego - the best little beer town in the US.

As far as meals go.

lunch - Either fish tacos / kobe tacos at the turn of El Dorado in Cabo.  Beach hut bar is pretty awesome. Or chicken salad in a cup at Bridges of Rancho Sante Fe. 

dinner - I don't even remember the meal, but the deck at Arcadia Bluffs at sunset is pretty special. 

Joe Perches

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »
I've never seen anyone write anything like the hard boiled egg at Rancho Park Muni between 11 and 12.

In fact, I had one, exactly that, today.

Delicious with some Cholula sauce and with a Fat Tire in a can.

The stand at Rancho is actually much improved, under new management, with a more inviting
french style display window and dutch style glass serving window  instead of a dark 1930's
teller's window

Rates for Juniors at all LA city courses are a buck for the month of August.
5 hour rounds though who cares if you're with your own junior.

Going to the Apple Pan after the round was very good and remains highly recommended.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:48:47 PM by Joe Perches »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »
I was always a fan of the breakfast that came off the griddle at Jackson Park on the southside of Chicago.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »
Cheeseburger at Olympic.

As far as a "meal on the go" this would be my favourite though the shack at Sunningdale takes some beating.

Lester George

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
This week I had:

Pepper Jack Burger at Ballyhack (Tuesday)

Virginia Cuban at Kinloch (Thursday)

Not a bad week at all.

Lester

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
My best meal experience on a golf course was being invited to ride into LA for a Korean BBQ dinner while at KP.  :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
Manhattan Clam Chowder at Shenecossett Golf Club-Groton Connecticut.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
Chocolate Brownie Cliff Bar, any course.

Some people play golf.....for the golf.  It's very rare for a golf course to have the kind of unforgettable meal that can compete with a standalone restaurant.  :)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:27 AM »
Lunch on the back porch at Morfontaine.

Unbelievable French Country buffet surrounded by the most elegantly dressed group of haute bourgeoise Parisians one could find this side of a movie set. The topper was the strawberry flan with double cream and an espresso at the end of the meal.

50 years ago, Maurice Chevalier would have then appeared in a blazer and ascot to sing everyone a song.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back