News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Best Meal Experience on a Golf Course
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »
The haggis and fine claret at Turnberry.  Seriously, I'd sooner go back there to eat than to tee it up....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »
The Cullen skink in the clubhouse of the crazy and quirky Cullen GC.

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »
Lobster sandwich at the Maidstone.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
The three-course jacket and tie lunches at Royal St George's, Swinley Forest and The Berkshire, as the midpoint of a 36-hole day, cannot be beat.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
The hamburger at Sand Hills made by Tom (RIP)

or the snapper soup at Merion on the terrace next to the first tee.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »
hands down the best lunch I have had at a golf club is at Chechessee Creek. My family still talks about that lunch.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
Actually on a golf course....the fish tacos right before #11 at Stone Eagle.

Not on a golf course....running to the In-N-Out at the turn that's around the corner from the ASU course.

Rob Peterson

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
I would second the brat at the turn at Whistling Straits.

I would also throw in a sunset dinner at the Plantation House restaurant in the clubhouse at the Kapalua Plantation course.  Beautiful view and great food.  Plus, if you get the first twilight tee time you can save some cash and finish just in time for dinner!

By far the most unique meal experience on a golf course I've ever experienced is at Muirfield in Scotland.  You play 18 in the morning and then you go back to the clubhouse and put a coat and tie on for a fantastic lunch.  It is a cafeteria style setting (not necessarily what most would consider cafeteria food though...I thought the food was very good), but all the food and booze you want are included.  Then you change back into golf clothes and play another 18...this time alternate shot.  I'm sure there are mixed reviews out there on this whole song and dance, but I thought it was pretty fun.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
Aren't these threads just another way for people to brag about the courses they've visited?

I've never seen anyone write anything like the hard boiled egg at Rancho Park Muni between 11 and 12.

My thoughts exactly. 

With all the hand-wringing about OT threads, like ones re: Tiger, why is this sort of topic tolerated more? 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
Aren't these threads just another way for people to brag about the courses they've visited?

I suppose they might seem that way if you approach threads like this with certain preconceptions.  For me, however, golf is about the entire experience -- the course, the setting, the company, the drinks, the food, and other things.  I love hearing about places where the food and drinks (or *where* you eat and drink) are unique, even if it's at places I may never have a chance to play.   

Richard Choi

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
David, if you have seen the "Whip It Out" posts, you would know that I am in no position (compared to many others) to brag about all the courses I have played... :)

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Arrogant bastard and hard boiled eggs.  Mmmm.

There was a whole lot of hype regarding Stone Brewery this past spring when it was going to be sold for the first time in Chicago. Had a couple of their brews on tap and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. How big is it out west?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »

I would also throw in a sunset dinner at the Plantation House restaurant in the clubhouse at the Kapalua Plantation course.  Beautiful view and great food.  Plus, if you get the first twilight tee time you can save some cash and finish just in time for dinner!

By far the most unique meal experience on a golf course I've ever experienced is at Muirfield in Scotland.  You play 18 in the morning and then you go back to the clubhouse and put a coat and tie on for a fantastic lunch.  It is a cafeteria style setting (not necessarily what most would consider cafeteria food though...I thought the food was very good), but all the food and booze you want are included.  Then you change back into golf clothes and play another 18...this time alternate shot.  I'm sure there are mixed reviews out there on this whole song and dance, but I thought it was pretty fun.

Rob:

The Brat "sandwich" was a meal and a half in the clubhouse there, it was two brats side by side on a hamburger bun.

They also serve a different kind of Brat Sandwich in the Horse and Plow at the American Club where they take the meat out of a Brat casing and make a patty out of it, serve it with onions, pickles, and dijon mustard on a hamburger bun...awesome.
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

Rob:

The Brat "sandwich" was a meal and a half in the clubhouse there, it was two brats side by side on a hamburger bun.

They also serve a different kind of Brat Sandwich in the Horse and Plow at the American Club where they take the meat out of a Brat casing and make a patty out of it, serve it with onions, pickles, and dijon mustard on a hamburger bun...awesome.

Pat:
The sandwich in the clubhouse is huge, but I didn't find it as satisfying as the one at the turn.  Not sure if the brats are different or it's a bun issue, but I preferred the one at the halfway house. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
Sushi at Sherwood(say that quick three times) after the Kings Putter! 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

C. Squier

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »

Who gives a shit?  Should we all pretend we've never played outside our own zip code to make others less jealous?

I for one think it's pretty darn cool to hear how others lived out their golfing dreams at world class courses.

David Egan

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »

Rob:

Pat:
The sandwich in the clubhouse is huge, but I didn't find it as satisfying as the one at the turn.  Not sure if the brats are different or it's a bun issue, but I preferred the one at the halfway house. 

The brat at the house after #8 at the River course is the best I've ever had.  It's got to be the same thing as the brats at WS and in the clubhouses but,  for some reason, that sausage on the River course is as good as it gets.  And, I'm a brat aficionado so I know of what I speak.

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
Kohler is kind of like this board...A Sausage fest...... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Only if you are an insecure and jealous person who can't be happy for other people who have had amazing experiences that you may or may not have had.

Congrats to everyone who has played a great course that I haven't and can now re-live that great experience on this thread by thinking back to the tasty treats served at such wonderful places.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
Best Meal Experience on a Golf Course?

1998 @ Varadero Golf Club.

The delicious authentic Cuban sandwiches paired with ice cold Cristal cervezas that the cart girl brought out ranks right there at the top for me.  And the view -- my goodness!  From up on the cliff where we parked our carts and enjoyed our lunch (we were the only ones out there on that part of the golf course) was as pretty a tropical setting as any place I've ever been.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
I would have to 2nd the burgers at Ben's Porch, though we didn't get burgers made by Tom, the one's we had were pretty damn good!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

JC Jones

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
Best Meal Experience on a Golf Course?

1998 @ Varadero Golf Club.

The delicious authentic Cuban sandwiches paired with ice cold Cristal cervezas that the cart girl brought out ranks right there at the top for me.  And the view -- my goodness!  From up on the cliff where we parked our carts and enjoyed our lunch (we were the only ones out there on that part of the golf course) was as pretty a tropical setting as any place I've ever been.

You're just rubbing it in my face.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Gene Greco

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »
I for one think it's pretty darn cool to hear how others lived out their golfing dreams at world class courses.

I would agree that much of the discussion on this website provides a nice way to vicariously experience what it might be like to play a particularly great course.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Eric Smith

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »

I would agree that much of the discussion on this website provides a nice way to vicariously experience what it might be like to play a particularly great course.

Agreed.  Also, where to stay, where to eat, etc.

There was a thread up last year about hotels in London and I passed it along to some friends who were going there. They ended up staying at one of the hotels [I think Sean Arble may have been who recommended it] in Covent Garden.  Anyway, they LOVED it and told their friends who also ended up staying there and they too loved it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:52:36 PM by Eric Smith »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
I am not sure it counts as it is just outside the gate at Diamond Creek in Banner Elk, but one of the best meals I have ever had was at Artisanal.  It is on Diamond Creek property and is open to the public.  Wayne Huizenga brought in the chef and built this place for him.  If you go have the Calimari appetizer.  

The second best may be the Hamburger at The Highlands at Primland made from Kobe beef.  At $19 it is a bargain.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:27:10 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back