News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Harvey Dickens

Oh no....
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
What features on or around the course make you say "Oh no." I played a course this weekend that had massive power lines running through it. Really detracts from the course for me. Was looking at the Harbor Shores thread and saw more power lines. Have heard people say a well designed course hides the cart paths.... what do you hate to see?

Phil McDade

Re: Oh no....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »
Lots of water...

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »

A fountain to me is usually a dead giveaway
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

jim_lewis

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Rough that offers slight chance of finding your ball and zero chance of recovery.

OB on both sides of the fairway.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
Lots of white stakes...especially interior ones.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
Water is okay.  Water on two sides of a hole is usually not, for me.

Also, I played a course where my first hole (the tenth) was a dog leg par 3, which I found off putting.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
Townhouses

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:27 PM »
I hate to see features that could have been avoided with a proper design. Sometimes power lines can't be avoided, at least in view. But, unlike what you can see at The Hamptons in VA, you can avoid playing directly under them or beside them. Same with water. Courses can certainly be built on sites that have natural water frontage and in that case water on the course is great. The key with the water if it has to be created in order to promote proper drainage is to make it discrete, where it isn't really seen, in some cases, and a strategic feature in others. Going back for a satellite look at Cahoon Plantation again, it appears to me they have water somewhat in play on 15 holes. Only once, well twice, did that water impact my decision making. Once it caused me to hit a shorter club off the tee and the other caused me to aim farther away from the green when I went for the green in 2 on #18. Other than that, I did not really see it and it was not in play for me.

Again, I think the key to all of this, power lines on the property, billboards on surrounding roads, drainage/irrigation ponds, houses, etc., should be avoided if possible and their impact minimized when they are impossible to avoid. They can't always be avoided.

Jeff Brauer-please explain to me the Dog-leg par 3 concept; it is beyond my present comprehension.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
fairway bunkers with trees just past them that block out a recovery attempt

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »
A ball washer on the first tee.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
a waterfall

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »
Trees bare of their dead leaves on a late fall day... they're all on the ground and too often your ball gets lost under them...

jim_lewis

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
opening hole that takes the driver out of your hand of the first tee shot of the day.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
Signage proclaiming a hole "the most expensive golf hole in the world"

If Trump were to ever hire Tom Doak to doa golf course I would pay money to tag along each site visit/meeting.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
A backup on the first tee of middle-age women loading up their carts with purses and sweaters and acting like they're the only ones on the course.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
Recently aerified greens, especially when the golf course did not have the courtesy to inform me or my partners when we reserved the tee time.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dimitri Dimakopoulos

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »
obviously there are some exceptions...but generally i dont like seeing out of context raised ornamental style garden beds around the course (usually around tees). id like to think that native & indigineous vegetation can be incorporated seemlessly into the design, or better yet the course is routed in a fashion to make features of such existing vegetation and thus alleviating the need for frilly landscaping.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:52 AM »
A great course doesn't need cart paths!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »
A great course doesn't need cart paths!

Chappers

Never truer words were written.

Its the same old same old for me.  Stupidly penal rough and excess bunkering - the two most widely seen anti-golf as it was meant to be played features the world over.  Geez, there should be a spot for me on Grumpy Old Men.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:25:38 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:17:51 AM »
Internal Out Of Bounds
@theflatsticker

Matthew Rose

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »
Railroad ties.

Unless the designer's last name is Dye.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
Seeing four 30+ handicap golfers playing out of one bag of clubs riding in two carts and carrying a couple 30's of Milwaukee's Best teeing off in the group ahead of me on the first tee. :)
H.P.S.

Tom Yost

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
A course that requires a map and directions to find the next tee...

Emil Weber

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:42:24 AM »
water above the level of the surrounding ground...uaaargh

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back