News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

The Loxahatchee Club and its mounds. Have they softened?
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
Gentlemen,

One of the first golf course pictorials I acquired was “The Golf Courses of Jack Nicklaus”.
The Loxahatchee Club, Florida is described within and a goodly number of “hillocks” are depicted on various holes. Even though I was a neophyte I was amazed at how bizarre and incongruous these “mounds and moguls” seemed in the photographs of 1985.
Does anyone know if these carbuncles have softened over a quarter of a century and become gentle, undulating forms? Was it the hope that, as time passed, they would emulate small dune-forms?

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Loxahatchee Club and its mounds. Have they softened?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
Probably. The course and the clubhouse have been renovated within the past 5 years or so. The club's website does not mention anything about the course being renovated.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,17240.0/

Anyone play there before and after?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:22:48 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
I believe Brad Tufts played there recently and mentioned that the mounds had been softened....

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
I can confirm that.

Lox is a solid layout definately, and they had a renovation in 2004-2005 I believe that softened the tall conical mounds found throughout the course.

Strangely enough, I found myself wishing the mounds were still there.  The course is still immaculate and has some fun, traditional features, but to me it looked like many other stereotypical Florida courses.  In my mind, they did away with the features that set it apart from nearby courses.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back